Cargo Current Demand not Increasing Despite High Potential Demand

Started by Sab010111, December 05, 2018, 04:07:01 AM

Sab010111

I'm in BW2 and I noticed that the cargo potential from ZSPD to ZBAA was about 165,000kg. The current demand was very low because no one was really flying dedicated cargo on the route. So, I added a couple of AC to the route. I've now been flying it for at least a couple of months and, while the potential cargo demand remains in the 164,000kg range, the current demand has not increased at all. I feel like I'm misunderstanding something about the cargo system. I thought, essentially, the current demand would increase up to the potential demand once the supply was provided (over a period of time). Any help understanding what I've overlooked is appreciated.

JumboShrimp

First of all, you can go to Dashboard -> Settings -> Interface Settings -> Default Airport Code Format: You can change it to 3, and then people will have some idea that you are flying from PVG to PEK.

Second, there may be additional suppliers serving this market.  The primary competition is going to be SHA-PEK route.  Check the rout and see if other airlines are flying it.  If that is the case, the movement of actual demand can be very slow, and take more than a couple of months.

The system re-adjusts the actual demand twice a month, and the movement can be quick (if no one else is serving this market) or very slow, when there are 1 or many airport pairs serving the market.  It can drift 1k, 2k, 4k per adjustment, so it may take substantial amount of time for the system to reach the new status quo.

Just check periodically, on 1st and 15 (for example) and look for changes in Actual Demand.

As far as strategy, it is very likely that the actual demand will not reach potential demand, if there are several ways for cargo to make its way.  So to supply full potential demand is not a good idea.

I don't know what you are flying, but at first, just add 1 flight and wait for Route Image to reach 100 (it takes about a year).  Only then potentially add more flights, If the actual demand is at or higher than your supply.

Tha_Ape

The last point JS mentions: to drag the demand and increase actual towards potential, you need a high route image (around 80-90). So it's a game of patience, and your plane will probably lose money for some months, not only 2 as you mention, rather 8 to 10.

Sab010111

Thx guys. Is there a different route image between cargo and pax? I had already been flying the route with pax for a few years so it had an image of 100 before I even started flying cargo. I think my misunderstanding was thinking of cargo as airport-to-airport rather than city-to-city or metro-to-metro. As I understand JS, there is another airport in Shanghai which could be meeting some of the demand (although the SHA-PEK potential vs actual demand chart looks strikingly similar to the PVG-PEK chart).

JumboShrimp

Quote from: Sab010111 on December 05, 2018, 08:01:28 AM
Thx guys. Is there a different route image between cargo and pax? I had already been flying the route with pax for a few years so it had an image of 100 before I even started flying cargo. I think my misunderstanding was thinking of cargo as airport-to-airport rather than city-to-city or metro-to-metro.

It is the same RI, airport to airport, same as pax.

Quote from: Sab010111 on December 05, 2018, 08:01:28 AM
As I understand JS, there is another airport in Shanghai which could be meeting some of the demand (although the SHA-PEK potential vs actual demand chart looks strikingly similar to the PVG-PEK chart).

Take a look at these 2 links.  Look at the 2nd picture, at the bottom of the page, with circle corresponding to catchment area of the airport:
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Airport/ZSPD/?e=1
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Airport/ZSSS/?e=1

SHA and PVG have nearly complete overlap.  They serve the same market.  This market represents Potential demand.  The potential demand will be divided among different airport in Shanghai and Peking area.  If the SHA-PEK looks similar (similar supply and demand) then you will be sharing this potential demand with SHA and potentially other smaller airports.

Sab010111

Got it. That makes sense. One final question: does departure/arrival time matter for cargo as it does for pax? Thanks for the help.

Tha_Ape

No, doesn't matter, it can depart or land all around the clock. However the 60 min gap is still to be respected (and pay attention as this 60 min gap works between cargo and pax planes on the cargo side).

Sab010111

groundbum2

Quote from: Tha_Ape on December 05, 2018, 08:54:58 AM
No, doesn't matter, it can depart or land all around the clock. However the 60 min gap is still to be respected (and pay attention as this 60 min gap works between cargo and pax planes on the cargo side).

I got told in another forum that the 60 minute gap doesn't matter at all for cargo! Anybody got a definitive answer?

Simon

JumboShrimp

Quote from: groundbum2 on December 05, 2018, 10:10:09 AM
I got told in another forum that the 60 minute gap doesn't matter at all for cargo! Anybody got a definitive answer?

Simon

From my observations, the time gap between cargo flights and between cargo and pax flight does not matter.

groundbum2

Quote from: JumboShrimp on December 05, 2018, 11:11:33 AM
From my observations, the time gap between cargo flights and between cargo and pax flight does not matter.

How about the gap between cargo and cargo flights?

Simon

JumboShrimp

Quote from: groundbum2 on December 05, 2018, 12:31:39 PM
How about the gap between cargo and cargo flights?

Simon

No gap between cargo flights does not seem to be a problem.

But still, I am scheduling my flights with 1 hour gaps (if I have more than a single flight).  Just in case Sami changes his mind mid game, I don't want to go through 100s of schedules...  ;)

groundbum2

thanks Jumbo!

just to add to the original post, I've started a bug report here

https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,79404.0.html

about cargo demand not growing when it's between complex city=pairs. This was in GW3 but no reason to suspect it's not working in other gameworlds..

Simon

deovrat

Quote from: Tha_Ape on December 05, 2018, 08:54:58 AM
Quote from: JumboShrimp on December 05, 2018, 11:11:33 AM

There needs to be a 60 min gap between pax-pax and cargo-cargo. Pax-cargo gap does not matter.