Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: 737 Transatlantic  (Read 432 times)

Offline tungstennedge

• Members
737 Transatlantic
« on: December 01, 2018, 10:11:47 AM »
I'm looking to open transatlantic service with a 737, however, the game is telling me that passenger would prefer a larger plane. Is this significant enough for me to look elsewhere? I don't have another fleet which can service 150ish demand routes at these ranges, so can I still make good money if I fly a 737?

Offline Zobelle

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: 737 Transatlantic
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 10:42:58 AM »
I do it just for fun in GW1, but seriously...

Donít. Just donít.

Offline Mort

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 10:48:34 AM »
That rule I believe only comes into effect when there is competition on the route segment.

But probably best follow Zobelle's advice on this front.

Offline groundbum2

• Members

The 5 people who like this post:
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 11:00:41 AM »
if you do a forum search for "too small" there's quite a lot on this already. But to summarise,

- too small only kicks in on routes with 300+ pax
- the penalty is graduated, depending on route thickness,route length,decade,size of other planes on route, penalty is 0% to 90%
- if there's nobody else on the route you're unlikely to see any penalty
- just because a regional jet XLR can do 1500nm doesn't mean any passengers will choose to fly that far in a tidgy plane, too small will kick in
- the only way to find which routes are flagged "too small" is to do "edit route" and see if the warning is displayed under departure time
- the too small is based on average cabin size of your fleet, so if flying A3xx family AWS will average A318/A319/A320/A321 to judge whether too small is flagged or not. So putting a "big" A321 on a route doesn't bypass too small warnings.
- if two of you on the route are flying too small planes, you'll likely not see an impact. But when the first 737/Airbus appears it'll get all the traffic and the too small planes LF% will shrink dramatically.
- a planes "too small" range shrinks with time. So Britannias' fly happily warning free UK/USA in 1970s but starting in the 1980s "too small" warnings appear on routes that didn't have them previously. Passengers expectations increase as newer bigger planes come into service.
- too small only relates to passengers flights, it doesn't impact cargo flights at all. I can't imagine it impacts belly cargo.

Simon
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:25:40 PM by groundbum2 »

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 10:43:09 PM »
It used to be marginally profitable before cargo, on routes with less than 200 demand and no opposition. I did it with success from Nantes, Cardiff, Faro(to Brazil),etc... But since cargo has moved down pax ticket prices, it's just no more profitable.

Offline wilian.souza2

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 01:30:22 PM »
It can be used to open new longhauls without losing too much money in the 1st months, can't it?

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 02:46:35 PM »
It can be used to open new longhauls without losing too much money in the 1st months, can't it?

of course. It's less costly than flying a 20% full 350. OTOH, you have to be careful in planning if you want to keep the slots.

Online Tha_Ape

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »
if you do a forum search for "too small" there's quite a lot on this already. But to summarise,

- too small only kicks in on routes with 300+ pax
- the penalty is graduated, depending on route thickness,route length,decade,size of other planes on route, penalty is 0% to 90%
- if there's nobody else on the route you're unlikely to see any penalty
- just because a regional jet XLR can do 1500nm doesn't mean any passengers will choose to fly that far in a tidgy plane, too small will kick in
- the only way to find which routes are flagged "too small" is to do "edit route" and see if the warning is displayed under departure time
- the too small is based on average cabin size of your fleet, so if flying A3xx family AWS will average A318/A319/A320/A321 to judge whether too small is flagged or not. So putting a "big" A321 on a route doesn't bypass too small warnings.
- if two of you on the route are flying too small planes, you'll likely not see an impact. But when the first 737/Airbus appears it'll get all the traffic and the too small planes LF% will shrink dramatically.
- a planes "too small" range shrinks with time. So Britannias' fly happily warning free UK/USA in 1970s but starting in the 1980s "too small" warnings appear on routes that didn't have them previously. Passengers expectations increase as newer bigger planes come into service.
- too small only relates to passengers flights, it doesn't impact cargo flights at all. I can't imagine it impacts belly cargo.

Simon

only the red part is wrong. Triggered the penalty with Viscounts 700D on 1200+ nm routes with 100+ demand.
Ok, it was in the 80s :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:29:03 PM by Tha_Ape »

Offline Zobelle

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 12:26:17 AM »
only the red part is wrong. Triggered the penalty with Viscounts 700D on 1200+ nm routes with 100+ demand.
Ok, it was in the 80s :laugh:

But still cheaper than flying bigger frames with significantly higher fuel consumption.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.