Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Too much and too little cargo  (Read 254 times)

Offline DanDan

• Members
Too much and too little cargo
« on: November 29, 2018, 08:37:17 AM »
Now i havent had much to do with cargo really in GW2 (my airport doesnt feature any cargo that exceeds the necessity of passenger aircraft), but i guess, thats the problem of the whole thing in itself:

When considering cargo, there is just one thing: heavy cargo that needs dedicated planes.

Now, I do not really have a problem with that personally, but it does make some things really ridiculous. The Nr 1 airline (airline value) with a value of 500B is a (mostly)-cargo-airline based in HongKong. Now that airline's CEO sure does a great job, and i dont want to belittle their work, but, that airline is just about 25 years old. 50 years younger than other big airlines. And what are they flying? The 757... 600 pcs. So if you are based in HKG, or some other heavy-cargo-place, you have a lot of income just on cargo; passengers seem to be peanuts in those places compared to the money made on cargo ops.

For all other airlines, cargo means: a little bit of an extra profit, maybe a reason to block a few seats here or there - but nothing worth an extra flight. Certainly not justifying another fleetgroup or something. Same if you check the cargo-aircraft-sales: the only planes selling are large and very large ones, the ones used for heavy cargo. Any small or medium cargo planes in demand? Nope.

What i want to say: in its current state cargo is rubbish and CBD doesnt change anything about that. It is a completely different game for airlines playing with cargo as opposed to those without (which weirdly happens in the same gameworld). And no, i have no clue what could make things better! Wanted to start this thread to maybe get some other peoples opinion on the topic, and maybe some ideas how cargo would make sense to the whole world.

Offline mp81

• Members
Re: Too much and too little cargo
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 08:46:59 AM »
I run a freight-only outfit and do quite fine.

Offline DanDan

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 09:25:03 AM »
I run a freight-only outfit and do quite fine.

dont worry, i dont doubt you are doing fine. that "cattlecar" in GW2 is doing excellent running a cargo company.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 09:41:49 AM »
HKG is like a 2nd LHR in the game.  It will attract a bigger crowd in subsequent games.

Redistributing cargo is the same as saying that LHR has too much LH and premium pax traffic, and some of this premium traffic should be moved to Chad, Nepal and Haiti.

Offline Talentz

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 01:05:31 PM »
GW2 is not a great place to look at overall for cargo/pax OPS. The reason being is cargo was added mid-game, and thus, not everyone was focused on it. Most still aren't as we conclude the last 10 years of the GW. GW1 is the first long GW to include cargo from the start and the stat board looks more balanced vs GW2s.

HKG will almost always be at the top of the cargo leader board because of its special status. There isn't much you can do to change that fact.

But that doesn't mean HKG wins every game hands down. As JS correctly points out, many players will start at HKG just like they do LHR, thus watering it down a bit to allow other airports the chance too take the top spot (Trans-Cargo).

Besides, the best type of airline to run in this new era is a combi-cargo airline with a focus on LH.

Talentz

Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Groupô - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.