Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Max airplanes out of home base  (Read 279 times)

Offline marq0909

• Members
Max airplanes out of home base
« on: November 14, 2018, 05:08:45 AM »
Never knew this was a rule! I just tried to put an airplane at a different base and was told I have reached the limit 560/560. Why is there this BS rule?

Online knobbygb

• Members

The 4 people who like this post:
Re: Max airplanes out of home base
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 06:55:02 AM »
It's always been like that - well at least for several years since the number of bases allowed was increased from three. It's to help stop large airlines just swamping everybody else.  It will increase gradually by 10 (later 15) per year. There used to be an overall limit of 600 but that's recently been increased. I can remember the new limit. 900? You can check out the current limit from the Office/Base Airports screen.

Looking at your airline, you need to spend some time sorting out your schedules. You have a fleet utilisation of 12.4hrs which is pretty bad tbh. You should be aiming for 17h (and happy with anything over 16h) if you want to compete with the best airlines. It's easy to be lazy and just throw hundreds of aircraft around the USA without much planning but now you've reached a new level of the game. this is a new challenge where you have to be more tactical and discerning. I can't see your actual schedules but I bet you could add 200 to 300 more routes just with your existing fleet! Replacing low-yeilding routes with better ones would improve the figures even more. Your profit margin could possibly double if you did it well.  Do you think a real airline could make a profit in the modern age if all their aircraft were on the ground for an average of eleven and a half hours every day? See this as an opportunity to improve and grow your skills rather than just a "bs rule".
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:00:45 AM by knobbygb »

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 08:17:38 AM »
Prevents excessive bullying of newbies, and forces the big boys to be more clever. In GW2, I've replaced 40 loosely scheduled CRJs in Poznan by 35 MRJs in a 7-7 tight schedule for this very reason. Pushes you to be a better player.

Offline marq0909

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 06:22:48 PM »
knobbygb I understand the spirit of the rule and your point. Here why I think its BS 560 aircraft we 9 bases in addition to your home base only allows for 62 airplanes per base. Pair that with you taking a hit for having airplanes land or takeoff between 12am and 5am doesn't leave much room. Sure I could a will take this opportunity to tighten up my schedules and get more out of every airplane.

Also to anser your question, yes I do think airlines make money with 12.4 hours avg. daily usage. Here are the stats for US airlines published by MIT.

American          9.84
Delta                10.55
United              11.37
US Airways     10.01
Southwest        11.01
JetBlue              11.77
Frontier             11.45
Virgin America 11.33

Offline deovrat

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 04:53:22 AM »
Also to anser your question, yes I do think airlines make money with 12.4 hours avg. daily usage. Here are the stats for US airlines published by MIT.

He means utilization in AWS, not real life :)

Economics in game may not always reflect the real life conditions.

Offline wilian.souza2

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 09:49:04 PM »
Scheduling an aircraft in real time is a lot more difficult - any delay and cancellation can potentially spoil the entire aircraft schedule, and DSTs varying between the earth's hemispheres make LH scheduling another challenge! That's why RL airlines have worse utilization.

Online knobbygb

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 07:11:07 AM »
I actually DID mean real life. But those figures surprise me a lot - I stand corrected!  :o  I'd be interested where they came from if you could send me a link. Very interesting - I didn't know airlines reported such figures.

Needing high utilisation in this game is just a fact of how it's designed. It matters a little less if, like the OP, you own all the aircraft but even then, staffing is a bit unrealistic. The game will hire the same number of staff whether an aircraft is flying a single route for 8 hours per day or 3 routes for 20 hours. (OK there might be a few extra ground staff if you are flying it to otherwise unserved places, but it's basically the same - certainly in terms of numbers of crew and maintenance staff).  So in this case, it will be unrealistically high staff salaries that are holding down profits.

You'd probably be better not having 9 bases at all. With all the extra staffing costs, you'd make more money by using the same number of a/c at fewer bases, thus covering all the best routes without hitting this artificial barrier. One of the golden "rules" of the game, which many other experienced players will confirm is "never open a new base until you have covered every practical/realistic opportunity at your current ones".  Obviously it's a little more complicated than that, but it's a good general rule. This airline currently has 6 extra bases - that's about what I limit myself to by the end of the game when there are 600+ aircraft allowed. Around 100 per base is a good guideline for me (just cherry-pick the most profitable routes at each - there's no point trying to totally dominate all 6!).  I currently only have 5 and my airline is twice as old as yours.  Anything more would be just difficult to control or do justice to.

I like this rule. It adds an extra challenge at the part of the game where I could just get bored after 30+ years of unlimited expansion.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:13:14 AM by knobbygb »

Offline tungstennedge

• Members

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 03:41:03 AM »
Almost all those US carriers with the lowest usage also use banked hubs, and operate a lot of older planes. Most of the planes sit around most of the say waiting to make the one or two flights a day to take off at the right time to arrive at major hubs around the same time to accommodate connecting passengers, it's quite smart. I really wish passenger transferring was an option in AWS as you could build awesome airline of medium-sized bases and turn them into super hubs, and scheduling flights would have insane complexity.

Offline marq0909

• Members

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 06:25:16 AM »
 knobbygb - I just googled it and it came back with a 2016 or 2017 link to a MIT study done. I dont have access from my phone but Ill try to link it when I get home.

I currenly only have 4 bases but I was just unaware of the rule so it caught me by surprise because I didn't understand that you could have 10 bases but only limited airplanes. Im working on consolidating my routes and being more efficient. 

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.