Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Cruise speed  (Read 475 times)

Offline tungstennedge

• Members
Cruise speed
« on: November 02, 2018, 12:30:04 AM »
Does anyone wish that you do not always have to fly your plane at max cruise speed? I find it odd that planes always fly at their max cruise speed, I believe IRL cruise speed is mostly determined by what ATC give you, and additionally I think there would be a lot of quality of life in scheduling if you could fly you planes slightly slower than max speed. For example, I plan to replace my MD11 fleet with 777 as soon as 777F comes out, but I realize this is gonna be a disaster for my scheduling, I have destinations which have some MD11 flights and some 777 Flights an hour apart, but once this is changed Ima have to find a way to respace every routes timing to make sure two flights don't leave in the same hour.

Its a small chance but I think It would be awesome if we could set the cruise speed on routes to slight off max.

Offline NovemberCharlie

• Members
Re: Cruise speed
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 01:03:09 AM »
Feature request for this is essentially already there:
https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,50698.msg286542.html#msg286542

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 02:41:26 AM »
The cruise speeds are not really the "max" speed. But rather the normal and generally used speed..

A320 for example can fly between about M.76 to M.80 in cruise (depends on weight and altitude, and how much in a hurry we are) and M.78-79 is the most commonly used speed range. Cruise speeds are not determined by ATC (unless there is some need for temporary separation, or constant Mach areas like the North Atlantic), but by operators and crews.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:07:49 AM by Sami »

Online schro

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 03:08:31 AM »
As far as the game is concerned, the landing time is irrelevant, so you can keep the same schedules. The schedule move tool also defaults to keeping the original flight time on the return flights, so again, it adjusts your turn time to make it work for the transition.

Offline tungstennedge

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »
Oh thats awesome, then I can start transitioning out my MD11's already. Also Schro, I see u have one world In london where you have 777 757, and I though about it and your fleet choice actually seems really smart. I'm not in that world but I would guess that the 757 are mostly for freighters(I would guess to small us destinations) and smaller passenger east coast us/ Asian destinations. I took a look through GW3 smaller us airports, and in just a few minutes I realized there are probably nearly countless unheard of towns in the us that have at leasst 20k potential cargo, many with about 30k. I want to ask how profitable are those routes, would the benefit of the smaller cargo variant outweigh the 767's ability to service 150-200 demand routes at long range, or could those routes be flown with a non leased 777 to make a profit?

Thanks for all the help
Tungstennedge

Offline knobbygb

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 07:25:50 AM »
As far as the game is concerned, the landing time is irrelevant

Not really.  It makes some difference, but not as much as departure time. And it makes a LOT of difference if the arrival airport is still closed!

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 08:13:18 AM »
Not really.  It makes some difference, but not as much as departure time. And it makes a LOT of difference if the arrival airport is still closed!

My own measurements on the topic is that the effect is double for take off time than for landing time. I.E. taking off between 0000 & 0455 needs you to reduce price ticket by 40% to get  the same LF. Landing in the same zone, 20%. Rough numbers. That's respectively 10% & 5% for 0500(linear decruse up to 0600), and half of it at 2355(linear decrease to 2255). Rough numbers, there also.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.