T/a times and ”technical problems with a/c”

Started by Hotcliff, October 10, 2018, 01:20:48 PM

Hotcliff

Gentlemen,
I have been wondering about this "Turn-Around-Time" since I started in here years ago..
One thing I learned first, was that to keep it long enough for ~1% probability of delay.
So, that us what I have done..
The default for my a/c are:
F27-200= 25 min , which I raised into 50 min.
Be99Airliner= 15 min which I raised into 25 min.

Unfortunately, this does not seem to be enough  :'( I had a lot of cancellations, mainly due to "short T/A" and I was down at "Punctuality"= 82% and a lot of cancelled flights  :-\

Now, I went through ALL routes and changed the F27's to 1:00 hr T/A, then the Be99's into 0:30 hrs which was a pain, especially since Dubrovnik and Split has 06-23 and 06-22 kerfews  ;D

Suddenly, today, my "punctuality" raised to 95%!  Only 16 flights cancelled due to short turn-arounds and 8 due to "technical problem with a/c"..

I just wonder why it is like this..I mean the Be99 is fameous for short t/a..I worked IRL as F.O on Be200 Ambulance and we did turn around at 10 minutes often, right engine running during load/unload  ;D..Do I have to set 45 min for Be99???

F27, with 25 min t/a..Do I need to set it at 1,5 hour until AwySim is happy??? >:(

Why 8 flights cancelled due to "technical problems" when my fleet average age is only 2 yrs???

Besides, I have a good overstaffing on "ground handling" and "technical services and maintenance" , usually 5+

I think there must be an improper unbalance in this..

Any comments?

/Stefan-Aero Zagreb

deovrat

Well, first of all there will always be delays even if you set the turnaround at 450 mins. Its just statistical unreliability, not much you can do about it.

Secondly, are you maintaining a gap of the order of your turnaround time between your last arrival of the day and the A-check? A lot of people miss out on that one, resulting in some low punctuality.

In any case, 82% punctuality is nothing to be scoffed at. I can't say what conditions prevailed, but it might have been weather related events concentrated around the zones you fly most to.

Same goes for cancelled flights, I currently see 74 cancelled flights in my GW4 airline. As its still <1% of my total flights, I don't care about it.

Even on new birds, you can have some part out of service and it can't take off due to MEL criteria not met with. IRL last month a Jet Airways brand new 737MAX8 had a bird hit which damaged its radome. It was on ground for 8 hours after that, resulting in cancelled flights. So even a brand new fleet will have cancelled flights, just that there should be less of them.

Hotcliff

Quote from: deovrat on October 10, 2018, 01:52:08 PM
Well, first of all there will always be delays even if you set the turnaround at 450 mins. Its just statistical unreliability, not much you can do about it.

Secondly, are you maintaining a gap of the order of your turnaround time between your last arrival of the day and the A-check? A lot of people miss out on that one, resulting in some low punctuality.

In any case, 82% punctuality is nothing to be scoffed at. I can't say what conditions prevailed, but it might have been weather related events concentrated around the zones you fly most to.

Same goes for cancelled flights, I currently see 74 cancelled flights in my GW4 airline. As its still <1% of my total flights, I don't care about it.

Even on new birds, you can have some part out of service and it can't take off due to MEL criteria not met with. IRL last month a Jet Airways brand new 737MAX8 had a bird hit which damaged its radome. It was on ground for 8 hours after that, resulting in cancelled flights. So even a brand new fleet will have cancelled flights, just that there should be less of them.
Cheers,
Well, as you say it..I might have to admit I have quite a few short t/a's "on the way to hangar"  :laugh: I did not suspect that would be a problem.. :o
But if it is the same rules to and from workshop, I might have to re-work a lot of schedules again  :-\
My ambition was 100% but as I have a life in aviation, I know it will never happen...A new "Fuel control unit" on our Be200 did cost us 30,000€ and a week stand still in Denmark plus 5,000€ in "forgetting to declare it at customs" and Customs/Police work  :laugh:

Ok, I will be happy with this reply, but maybe we can chat more on Discord  tonight?  ;D
/Stefan-Aero Zagreb

Sami

Quote from: deovrat on October 10, 2018, 01:52:08 PM

This. Even if you have 200% staff, 3x turnaround time etc. you are still bound to have some delays.

Hotcliff

Quote from: Sami on October 10, 2018, 02:09:49 PM
This. Even if you have 200% staff, 3x turnaround time etc. you are still bound to have some delays.
Terve Sami!
I know, for real, but was hoping the Sim was not soo real  :laugh:  You are doing a fantastic job in making this Sim no #1 and I feel very good now, understanding the game mechanichs better  :)
/Stefan-Aero Zagreb
;D

Hotcliff

deovrat,
Maybe I should focus on filling those empty routes from Dubrovnik & Split instead of thinking about the delays?  :laugh:
Ordering more F27's and Be99's  ;D

gazzz0x2z

Honestly, it's acceptable up to 8% of delay probability. Real trouble(CI begins to decrease, and cancellations begin to be a problem) begins beyond. 82% punctuality in winter and 88% in summer are rather standard for me, I never BK'd.

Hotcliff

Quote from: gazzz0x2z on October 11, 2018, 06:30:06 AM
Honestly, it's acceptable up to 8% of delay probability. Real trouble(CI begins to decrease, and cancellations begin to be a problem) begins beyond. 82% punctuality in winter and 88% in summer are rather standard for me, I never BK'd.
Really gazzz ?? :o
So all this fiddling with rescheduling routes t/a's is just a waste of time??

If the recommended staff for Ground handling is 150 , does it affect my t/a's at all if I employ 155?

gazzz0x2z

Quote from: Hotcliff on October 11, 2018, 07:01:53 AM
(.../...)If the recommended staff for Ground handling is 150 , does it affect my t/a's at all if I employ 155?

no clue, but I'd love the answer.

Hotcliff

Quote from: gazzz0x2z on October 11, 2018, 07:57:44 AM
Yes, I would like to know also..
This airline (Aero Zagreb) I have tried to keep Ground handling and Technichal m/t staff at +10% and I have just a feeling that it improves punctuality a bit, but so far, not any "scientific" research in this  ;D

Hotcliff

Quote from: Sami on October 10, 2018, 02:09:49 PM
gazzz, I think Sami just replied on this but not sure if he meant what I think?  ;)

wilian.souza2

Quote from: gazzz0x2z on October 11, 2018, 07:57:44 AM

Extra staff in economics, for example, improves reliability of fuel predictions. Haven't tested extra staff for this yet.