Replicate Schedule +1 Day

Started by Jetsetter, September 10, 2018, 05:30:32 PM

Jetsetter

I know this has been talked about before, but it would seriously make 7 day scheduling into a 5 minute experiment rather than a 20. And I want to remove the BS complications from the other threads.

• Scheduling screen, button next to the Add Route/Move Schedule button on aircraft schedule, 'Replicate Schedule +1 Day' button.
  • Press button, prompt to select an aircraft with no routes scheduled. Notation states "Replicate each flight for the currently scheduled aircraft for the next day. Routes without available slots will not be replicated.
  • Press next, boom, the routes I had to manually create for the remaining 6 days are created, DRAMATICALLY reducing the amount of time I have to spend on here scheduling billions of airplanes.

Tha_Ape

Hmm...
I don't feel the proposal I made were full of BS :P
2 things:
- your model supposes that one only shifts schedules between planes with a similar speed and TaT, which is absolutely not always the case. Which brings us back to manual editing.
- that lack of slots: manual editing would make you see that slot availability, and "oh, crap, 5 of the 7 days have no slot! - Damn, I'd better change the times all together" is solved in an easier way.

PS: Sorry, searched quite a bit but can't seem to find the thread with my proposals :-\

JumboShrimp

Quote from: Tha_Ape on September 10, 2018, 05:57:20 PM
Hmm...
I don't feel the proposal I made were full of BS :P
2 things:
- your model supposes that one only shifts schedules between planes with a similar speed and TaT, which is absolutely not always the case. Which brings us back to manual editing.

No, the schedule would of the same type.  Don't confuse this with "Move" schedule, which can go to different type.

Quote from: Tha_Ape on September 10, 2018, 05:57:20 PM
- that lack of slots: manual editing would make you see that slot availability, and "oh, crap, 5 of the 7 days have no slot! - Damn, I'd better change the times all together" is solved in an easier way.

PS: Sorry, searched quite a bit but can't seem to find the thread with my proposals :-\

No problem with lack of slots.  The system can make the routes orange (no schedule).

You can resolve it later, but ideally, when the first schedule is created, you would eyeball the slot availability.

Tha_Ape

Quote from: JumboShrimp on September 10, 2018, 07:51:34 PM
No, the schedule would of the same type.  Don't confuse this with "Move" schedule, which can go to different type.

My bad.

Quote from: JumboShrimp on September 10, 2018, 07:51:34 PM
No problem with lack of slots.  The system can make the routes orange (no schedule).

You can resolve it later, but ideally, when the first schedule is created, you would eyeball the slot availability.

So basically, going the same way, why don't open all the routes at once, buy all the slots at once, build the schedule on the model plane and then replicate? Would work just the same amount of clicks while getting rid of a possible nuisance.

But still, it doesn't solve the problem of renewals and route editing, which remains a pain (hence my questioning). I feel that some of these "BS" proposal were indeed quite interesting, relatively easy to use and not complicated to implement technically.

JumboShrimp

Quote from: Tha_Ape on September 10, 2018, 10:22:29 PM
So basically, going the same way, why don't open all the routes at once, buy all the slots at once, build the schedule on the model plane and then replicate? Would work just the same amount of clicks while getting rid of a possible nuisance.

Adding routes to schedule can be a PITA even for LH, when you have only, say 7 segments.  That's 7x7=49 routes, and suddenly you have multiple pages, and trying to figure out which ones go on which aircraft.

Now imagine a SH schedule, with about 18 segments, which is 18x7.  That's probably 4-5 pages of routes, and remember, with paging you can only assign from a single page.  So routes from different pages are way more clicks, round trip to server, scheduling screen refreshes...

There is a way to do this with a keyboard macro, where you create all the routes, and leave them open in individual tabs.  Then, generate routes for one aircraft at the time, so that when you are assigning to schedule, you add all routes (one click) for one aircraft, etc.  Still a big PITA.

Quote from: Tha_Ape on September 10, 2018, 10:22:29 PM
But still, it doesn't solve the problem of renewals and route editing, which remains a pain (hence my questioning). I feel that some of these "BS" proposal were indeed quite interesting, relatively easy to use and not complicated to implement technically.

Yes, good point about route editing, but that is a separate issue, can be independent, and in the end complementary

For example, duplicating schedule +1 day can create the routes in a way that they are grouped either by just flight number of by more sophisticated grouping, so that they could still be edited all at one, if this feature is built.

Tha_Ape

Quote from: JumboShrimp on September 10, 2018, 10:47:51 PM
Adding routes to schedule can be a PITA even for LH, when you have only, say 7 segments.  That's 7x7=49 routes, and suddenly you have multiple pages, and trying to figure out which ones go on which aircraft.

Now imagine a SH schedule, with about 18 segments, which is 18x7.  That's probably 4-5 pages of routes, and remember, with paging you can only assign from a single page.  So routes from different pages are way more clicks, round trip to server, scheduling screen refreshes...

There is a way to do this with a keyboard macro, where you create all the routes, and leave them open in individual tabs.  Then, generate routes for one aircraft at the time, so that when you are assigning to schedule, you add all routes (one click) for one aircraft, etc.  Still a big PITA.

So basically what Jetsetter and you mean is that you'd create 2-3 routes for the monday only, then 2-3 routes for tuesday only, etc. and would then allocate them to a single plane, and then would ask with that very feature to replicate the schedules with a 1 day difference?

Ok, that one is interesting, but I personally don't like to risk a heavy lack of slots (even though you could check them, you'd probably end up not doing so as otherwise it would confuse things, you'd forget to uncheck "every day" or other such things). At least that's what I feel.

So in the end I could agree if there was a way to avoid the associated nuisance. Plus, I consider the "edit all 7 individual routes with the same route number" a more important/urgent feature as it would allow to save more time if we consider the length of a whole GW: looking for pages and pages of individual routes is a pain, I agree, but much less than editing 7 days for a single route.

JumboShrimp

Quote from: Tha_Ape on September 11, 2018, 10:12:45 AM
So basically what Jetsetter and you mean is that you'd create 2-3 routes for the monday only, then 2-3 routes for tuesday only, etc. and would then allocate them to a single plane, and then would ask with that very feature to replicate the schedules with a 1 day difference?

It's the 7 day scheduling.  There are number of tutorials.  You create schedule for 1 out of 7 aircraft, and the other 6 schedules would be built by the +1 day function.

Ok, that one is interesting, but I personally don't like to risk a heavy lack of slots (even though you could check them, you'd probably end up not doing so as otherwise it would confuse things, you'd forget to uncheck "every day" or other such things). At least that's what I feel.

Let's split this issue to 2 parts:

1. Risk to the player of not getting the slots
2. Challenge of programming this feature because of lack of slots.

#2 was the show stopper in the past, why this feature would just be to hard to program.  But in the meantime, a feature of creating routes without buying slots was introduced.  With this feature, it removes #2 as a showstopper.  The system can happily create the schedules with or without slots.

As far as #1, it is up to the player to decide what risks he takes.  No one would be forcing a player to use this feature.  But a lot of players would find it useful time saving feature.

So in the end I could agree if there was a way to avoid the associated nuisance. Plus, I consider the "edit all 7 individual routes with the same route number" a more important/urgent feature as it would allow to save more time if we consider the length of a whole GW: looking for pages and pages of individual routes is a pain, I agree, but much less than editing 7 days for a single route.

Both would be useful.  But as far as creating vs. editing, I create a lot more than I edit.  Maybe in 10:1 or 5:1 ratio.

Tha_Ape

Quote from: JumboShrimp on September 11, 2018, 05:33:13 PM
It's the 7 day scheduling.  There are number of tutorials.  You create schedule for 1 out of 7 aircraft, and the other 6 schedules would be built by the +1 day function.

JS... Yes, I know what 7-day scheduling is, otherwise I wouldn't make requests to improve it, comment other's proposals and run all of my 800 a/c's airline with them ;)

Was just asking for a precision about the way you'd proceed with that proposal implemented: if, instead of opening 7x18 routes, you'd open only 1x18 routes and the system would then extrapolate the 6x18 others.

Quote from: JumboShrimp on September 11, 2018, 05:33:13 PM
Both would be useful.  But as far as creating vs. editing, I create a lot more than I edit.  Maybe in 10:1 or 5:1 ratio.

Well, you'd probably use editing much more if it wasn't such a pain and delete/recreate easier. On classic scheduling, I prefer the edit option, helps me keeping the count without having to rely too much on spreadsheets and such.

Jetsetter

I think lack of slots is being way overstated. If there aren't slots, then you can manually fill in the gaps. And even if 50% of the routes didn't have slots? Then at least I saved 7.5 minutes of the 15 to manually roll it out. Do that over 100 airplanes and you've saved over an hour.

JumboShrimp

Quote from: Jetsetter on September 11, 2018, 09:34:14 PM
I think lack of slots is being way overstated. If there aren't slots, then you can manually fill in the gaps. And even if 50% of the routes didn't have slots? Then at least I saved 7.5 minutes of the 15 to manually roll it out. Do that over 100 airplanes and you've saved over an hour.

You would not have to fill anything in manually.  The system can create no-slot routes, that now show orange on scheduling page.

All you would need to do later is to go to Manage Routes -> no slot routes and try to edit them to buy the slots later...

Jetsetter

That works too.

Sami, if you're listening, send help. If I want to schedule 700 airplanes, it's probably taking me like two full real days to do that (admittedly over several weeks). With this, I'll still have to put in the time to make a 7 day schedule that works, but saves the repetitious busywork of having to click the other 6 days of the week, make route for each day, then assign them to the aircraft four flights at a time until I've filled out the schedule.

JumboShrimp

Another huge time savings with this enhancement (in addition to what Jetsetter already mentioned) is just setting the A/B checks.  How many clicks is that per aircraft?  I think 8.

JumboShrimp

This would be a great playability enhancement, savings tons and tons of clicks and server page loads.

But most important of all: player time.

JumboShrimp

Quote from: JumboShrimp on November 10, 2018, 09:11:32 PM
This would be a great playability enhancement, savings tons and tons of clicks and server page loads.

But most important of all: player time.

Hi Sami,

I was wondering if you could throw us a bone in form of this usability enhancement.

New features are great, but this one feature can vastly shift the fun to work / drudgery ratio in direction of fun.

Jetsetter

Yeah...having hyper-realistic updated aircraft performance based on aircraft manuals I guess is nice...but I would absolutely love to get back the hours or days of my life I've spent rolling out schedules to the rest of the 7 day fleet before you change the runway requirement of a Lockheed Lodestar by 50 feet.

JumboShrimp

Almost a year later, still one of the best feature requests currently pending.

JumboShrimp

As I mentioned in another thread, this feature would eliminate 75% of the work needed to make 7-day schedules (something that comes in handy for LH and now Cargo).

Verto

Quote from: JumboShrimp on September 01, 2019, 05:22:51 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, this feature would eliminate 75% of the work needed to make 7-day schedules (something that comes in handy for LH and now Cargo).

Also much less requests on the server.

Onecharliefox

Came here to request this feature as well. Would literally save me hours and allow me to focus on other aspects of my airline.

Jetsetter

Regular bump. DFW opened last week, and I spent 11 hours last weekend writing and rolling out schedules. Literally could save hours of players lives here...