Updates to our supported browsers

Started by Sami, June 03, 2018, 03:16:14 PM

Sami

As part of our planned server upgrades, we are updating the list of supported devices/browsers to be in line with modern design and security requirements.

The oldest compatible clients will be: Firefox 27+ [released 2014], Chrome 30+ [2013], any MS Edge [2015], Opera 17+ [2013], Safari 9+ [desktop, 2015], iOS 7+ [mobile, 2013], Android 4.4.2 [mobile, 2013], IE 11+ on Windows 7 or higher [2013].

The limits on this compatibility list are determined by either the software design or the server systems (such as the SSL connection security requirements).

Based on our usage analytics from last 6 months none of our active users are affected by this change. In other words, there have been occasional hits to the site with older devices but for example IE 8 was registered on only 0.01% of all sessions during last 6 months, and Windows XP in 0.3% of the sessions, and are thus negligible. (note; Windows XP itself is still supported as the operating system makes no difference, but the combination of XP and old IE browser is not supported due to modern SSL connection requirements. With WinXP you should use Chrome or Firefox.)

The most popular browser by the way are:
   Chrome, 53%
   Safari, 29%
   Firefox, 7%
   Edge, 4%
   IE, 2%
   Opera, 2%

And operating systems:
   Windows, 47%
   iOS, 25%
   Android, 14%
   Mac, 13%

lpopa93

Life is so much easier with Safari + Mac on Airwaysim.  :-[ :-[

MikeS

Incredible how low the Windows/Edge market share has become. I wonder if part of the listed "Android" is actually Linux ? I'm using Chromium on an Ubuntu derivative for example...

Thanks for the insight!

Mike

Cardinal

You mean I can't play AWS with Netscape Navigator on Windows 98?

Talentz

I must ask... can you play AWS on 56k modem? I still have some free hours left on my old NetZero account.

Talentz
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

wilian.souza2

Quote from: MikeS on June 05, 2018, 04:48:37 PM
Incredible how low the Windows/Edge market share has become. I wonder if part of the listed "Android" is actually Linux ? I'm using Chromium on an Ubuntu derivative for example...

I'm one of the 2% on Opera... that's an awesome browser!

Quote from: Talentz on June 06, 2018, 12:57:48 AM
I must ask... can you play AWS on 56k modem? I still have some free hours left on my old NetZero account.

Use them to browse the AERBRA's site;D

Sami

Quote from: Talentz on June 06, 2018, 12:57:48 AM

Yes, of course. But just install something other than Netscape Navigator...  :P

(btw. Floppy disk and IE6 / Win 98 .... get your memes right  8) )

MRothschild

Quote from: wilian.souza2 on June 06, 2018, 01:32:34 AM
I'm one of the 2% on Opera... that's an awesome browser!

I'm the other guy  :laugh:

schro

Even DOS 2.11 came on a 3.5" floppy (source: I have a copy of it). That 5.25" is even older!

Cardinal

I copied it from the Demotivators thread. First thing I thought of when I read the initial post.

gazzz0x2z

Quote from: MRothschild on June 06, 2018, 02:11:13 AM
I'm the other guy  :laugh:

me too.

I actually find the display of AWS better in Opera than in Firefox, and I keep Chrome(and IE, believe it or not) for professional duties. Chrome does the job, too, but no better than Opera.

Note that I also have a tiny use of AWS on my Windows Phone(yes, those things still exist).

selvala

Quote from: MikeS on June 05, 2018, 04:48:37 PM

Thanks for the insight!

Mike

The percentages add up to 99% so maybe Linux is the 1%, which sounds about right

Jake

CityLink Express: Discover More, Discover Asia

pascaly

Quote from: Cardinal on June 06, 2018, 04:06:01 AM
I copied it from the Demotivators thread. First thing I thought of when I read the initial post.

Haha, I think that's one of mine!

Eurowings

Opera here! New player...

Did I make it 4%?  :P