Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Import Tax  (Read 373 times)

Offline DanDan

• Members
[-] Import Tax
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:02:59 PM »
Have you ever wondered, why all over the Soviet Union, the sky is filled with planes produced by the capitalist countries?
Or why the British flag carrier is buying Boeing instead of Vickers?
All those Comets flying in the US?
The answer is simple: because they can!

Wouldnt it be a bit more challenging and divers to make an import tax on aircraft, especially in the early years, when countries were trying to protect their industries? I would envise something like this: if the airline is based in a country that produces or develops an aircraft of the same "class" herself, the price of imported aircraft is increased by 50% or 100%. Then maybe the aircraft choices would be a bit more differentiated, production lines would not dry up right away for some aircraft, ... and not everyone would fly the B727 and 737.

I think it would add something to the game.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:34:20 PM by Sami »

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
Re: Import Tax
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:30:01 PM »
I heard there was some thinking in the past on Soviet Union, trying to allow only Soviet birds. However it means that you also got to implement something that stands for subsidies / state funding / free fuel, because otherwise the sky of Soviet Union will not be filled by Western birds, but not by Soviet / Russian ones either :-\ (at least from the 2nd spike onwards).

And what about the countries not producing anything? Should they pay more for everything?

I really like the idea, but it needs:
 - a lot of thinking / refinement
 - a LOT of work for Sami, as basically each country would become different (not just a different tax value, but a different positioning toward global situation)

Offline DanDan

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »
And what about the countries not producing anything? Should they pay more for everything?

well, as written, it would apply if a plane of the same size-class ("medium", "large"...) is in development or production by the country that one is part of. so if britain develops the vickers vc10, the boeing 707 would be penalized. so countries without aircraft production would of course not penalize imports, or maybe to a very small extent only.

about fuel subsidies: maybe a nice way to compensate for having to use soviet aircraft  :laugh:

but yes, i understand if all this is not a totally worked out plan, but a starting point for development.

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 02:31:42 PM »
the problem is indeed that it's a can of worms. Each country would have different strategies. The Brazilian state does not really have the diplomatic power to support Embraer through direct import taxes(but invested in the company in the beginning). At the other end of the spectrum, USSR simply banned any non-soviet plane from its soil. Inbetween, western states did have varying strategies to protect their industry from imports, which are tough to document, as informal pressures were often more efficient than additional taxes. China is yet something else, Modern Russia went through several phases, and still sells its planes mostly to its usual sphere of influence. Etc...

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 02:34:16 PM »
While realistic, it puts some players into too much disadvantage. And further it is really impossible to model it realistically through history (normal corporate tax can be probably traced backwards but this can't).

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.