Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Less competitive game (single player mode?)  (Read 658 times)

ced2718

• Former member
[-] Less competitive game (single player mode?)
« on: April 20, 2018, 10:56:18 AM »
Hello everyone,

I've just joined the game two days ago, and I love it so far. I've been playing on the test game area and I've just bought some credits to play the game even further. I therefore tried to join the Game World number 3 but I got a bit surprised to see that the level of competition in this game is much higher than the one I got to discover on the Beginner's World. I got a hard time finding a nice airport/routes to start with since all of them were quite busy already (probably because the game started a while ago already).

I have to say that I am a bit disappointed since I was mostly attracted to this game because I wanted to develop my own airline while challenging myself, and because I do not really wish to compete with other players as of now. Have you already thought about the possibility to open a new Game World with a really limited number of players (by maybe raising different taxes/fees in order to compensate for the lack of competition)?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:43:38 PM by Sami »

Offline wilian.souza2

• Members
Re: Less competitive game (single player mode?)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »
Lol... That's exactly the competition what makes this game fun, although it might drive you crazy sometimes.

If competition is just too hard for you, play more Beginners worlds, or ask for a mentor.

Offline Cedric3108

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 01:33:10 PM »
If you want to practice how to build an airline, keep playing the beginner worlds for some time. I've been doing this for the past three months now. Play(ed) two BWs and the Regional Challenge, and right now wait for the next big Gameworld (GW4) to open. But even though I will participate from the beginning in that one I expect the competition to be high. Current BW2 seems to have only about 100 players in it and it just started this week, so you should be alone pretty much anywhere you go, except for the super hubs.

Cheers,
Cedric
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:52:05 PM by Cedric3108 »

ced2718

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 03:11:44 PM »
Yep, I'm currently BW2 and I love it, that's what I meant. Problem is that I have a hard time playing knowing that in just over a month everything I've done will be deleted. I guess I will wait for GW4 to open and figure out if this is a game for me or not.

This was really just as suggestion, as I wanted to know if other players were thinking the same or if everyone really likes the competition as it is. Thanks!

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »
Hi and welcome,

what I would suggest as go-between would be for you to settle in a GW in a rather undisputed / quiet place. Might not be the most exciting, but it would still increase the challenge without putting you at too much risk.

Plus, one thing to consider: you have 5 tries in a GW before having to buy the credits for a GW again. Thus even if you realize you made some mistake, or if you aimed too high or too low, you could adjust and just start over somewhere else.

Offline Cardinal

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 04:13:42 PM »
I think what you're looking for is a Sandbox Mode. It's what every new player looks for. And then they play for a while in the long game worlds or shorter challenges and get hooked on trying to:

1. Claim Heathrow before everyone else
2. Carve out a niche for themselves in Tokyo
3. Island-hop in Hawaii, the Caribbean, or SE Asia/Oceania
4. Fly props around sub-Saharan Africa
or
5. "Dammit, I WILL build a profitable Concorde hub in Kansas City or go bankrupt 75 times trying!!!"

The Beginner Worlds are intended as a kind of sandbox, but as you stated everything gets deleted in a month.

The current GW2 is almost to 1990, and there have been some big bankruptcies lately so there is room for newcomers. As long as you aren't expecting to have Atlanta, London, or Beijing to yourself, you could find some quiet place to build an empire. Seoul, Brussels, Helsinki and Dublin all have only one airline based there. (By contrast, IAD has seven!)

ced2718

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 05:35:05 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I know it might sound silly to some players, but what I like is to be able to develop my airline between cities that I like to visit or places that I know, and when I get a game started and I see that the ratio demand/offer is already over 200% for most of the routes I would like to develop, this is kind of a deal breaker (for me).

I guess you are right though, I'll keep playing on the Sandbox mode for a while before maybe moving to the real game area.

Online JumboShrimp

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 06:49:36 PM »
Technically, it is nearly impossible to devote all the server resources necessary to play the game to a single player.

If AWS was ever rewritten as a single user PC game, where all the resources needed to run the game would come from your own PC, that would be possible, but not the way AWS is set up.

PS: Beginners worlds are very close to sandbox mode.  You will not get a lot of competition on your routes from other players (typically).  Some at very busy airports, but nowhere near the competition you get in regular game worlds.

The game limits of the BW is there to keep close to Sandbox mode.  There is not enough time to for airlines to grow too big to push other airlines around.

Online schro

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I know it might sound silly to some players, but what I like is to be able to develop my airline between cities that I like to visit or places that I know, and when I get a game started and I see that the ratio demand/offer is already over 200% for most of the routes I would like to develop, this is kind of a deal breaker (for me).

I guess you are right though, I'll keep playing on the Sandbox mode for a while before maybe moving to the real game area.

So riddle me this, where do you like to visit or what are places you know? There are 3 open game worlds, so there's a possibility that in one of those game worlds your preferred locations would make it a good starting point. Even with that preference, building an airline in a fairly open base, even if not familiar to you, in an actual game world would be good practice for you to excel later. GW2 is especially brutal right now (especially in Europe) as most ever route is oversupplied to the hilt due to the overall ease of the game world thus far.

Game world starts (such as the upcoming GW4) have their own frustrations that you will feel like posting a thread about to complain (or join in on the few about plane availability, slots and stuff that always get created). If you don't have practice getting traction quickly in a game world, you'll not have a good time in a busy base during a major world start....

ced2718

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »
Technically, it is nearly impossible to devote all the server resources necessary to play the game to a single player.

If AWS was ever rewritten as a single user PC game, where all the resources needed to run the game would come from your own PC, that would be possible, but not the way AWS is set up.

PS: Beginners worlds are very close to sandbox mode.  You will not get a lot of competition on your routes from other players (typically).  Some at very busy airports, but nowhere near the competition you get in regular game worlds.

The game limits of the BW is there to keep close to Sandbox mode.  There is not enough time to for airlines to grow too big to push other airlines around.

Thanks for your answer! I completely understand. I guess you can consider this thread closed.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.