Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: New maps  (Read 2886 times)

Online DanDan

• Members
Re: New maps
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2018, 07:59:47 AM »
I think the tiles correspond to the actual data points used by the game - so are you suggesting a change to the underlying mechanics, or just the map?

its not a suggestion for anything, i am just saying, that an airport with a much smaller ‚circle‘ taking more „squares“ than an airport with appx double the circle diameter seems weird to me, without knowing anything about the exact distribution of passenger or such.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:34:20 AM by dandan »

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 09:07:29 AM »
shouldnt they be a bit smaller, to better fit the circles? else: whats the point? just compare:
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Airport/SKRG/?e=1 (the main (international) airport for medellin)
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Airport/SKAM/?e=1 (some irrelevant airport)

There is a little bit of luck here.  Some places withing a grid capture more squares than other places.

Finer granularity of data would avoid it but then, the number of squares would explode and not be manageable / feasible to deal with.

Online DanDan

• Members
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 10:38:25 AM »
There is a little bit of luck here.  Some places withing a grid capture more squares than other places.

Finer granularity of data would avoid it but then, the number of squares would explode and not be manageable / feasible to deal with.

similar problem with LFPO/LFPG for example. and i didnt look for long. at least make the grid like 1/4 or 1/9 or something, but the mapgrid size is way too big compared to the airport influence circles. if you dont have the population details for each specific little-grid, just take the general one of the current grid for each one, but at the moment, it seems like the location of the airport is way too much connected in relation to the grid arrangement.
also imagine an airport is growing, so the airport influence circle is growing. now if with one increment growth of the circle you increase the number of mapgrids by 50% or 100%, that will be a bit of a mess for the airlines operating that airport.

-------------------

additional questions:
1) which airport is preferred by the passengers of a specific grid?
the closest? or is that also depending on the airport size? (distance to airport in relation to the airport influence circle) [see added graphic]

2) how are passengers of one mapgrid distributed between the different airports?
is it also a matter of frequency? are flights with less than 60 minutes in different airports counted as one flight?

3) why are grids "higher" (north/south direction) when near the poles than they are at the equator?
if i check MPTO, the grid is about squared. for paris it seems rather more of a rectangle with double the size in N/S direction compared to E/W direction.
now i am rather sure, that has to do with the map-projection, but shouldnt the airport influence circle look eliptical in that case as well, when nearer to the poles?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:40:31 AM by dandan »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »
Well I originally thought that I should not put those grids there, as people will get only misunderstandings of them... They are hidden now.

The system will not be changed from what it has been originally designed for (don't have the time to explain the loooong list of reasons why).

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 11:45:23 AM »
Some answers based on how I understand things, but don't take it as anything more than one person's opinion.

1) which airport is preferred by the passengers of a specific grid?
the closest? or is that also depending on the airport size? (distance to airport in relation to the airport influence circle) [see added graphic]

Distance plays a role.

Airport size should play a role (to limit fragmentation), but I don't think it does.

2) how are passengers of one mapgrid distributed between the different airports?
is it also a matter of frequency? are flights with less than 60 minutes in different airports counted as one flight?

The passengers are not generally distributed by totality of the grid, but by destinations - from the grid to other grids (airports serving them).  I think there should be more attraction of the whole grid to an airport, but I don't think it is the case now.

As far as which airport pairs get the demand between grids, it is very straight forward when one airport pairs serves the grid and others don't.  In that case all of the demand goes to the airport pair serving it.

When more airport pairs serve the demand to the point the demand is oversupplied - I have not seen any official explanation of how the demand shift takes place, and I have not done enough experimentation to get a good feel for it.

3) why are grids "higher" (north/south direction) when near the poles than they are at the equator?
if i check MPTO, the grid is about squared. for paris it seems rather more of a rectangle with double the size in N/S direction compared to E/W direction.
now i am rather sure, that has to do with the map-projection, but shouldnt the airport influence circle look eliptical in that case as well, when nearer to the poles?

The squares are more square near the equator, thinner near poles.  The grid system is just a way to divide the entire globe based on simple rules.

And no, the circles around the airports need to be circles.

Online JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2018, 11:57:18 AM »
Well I originally thought that I should not put those grids there, as people will get only misunderstandings of them... They are hidden now.

I agree that the demand square should probably not be there through normal system UI, but I think it should still be there, available for the player to see, when the airport is called with special parameter.

For example, seeing the squares explained perfectly why the smallest airport in Slovakia had higher potential demand than the largest airport.

I think some of these anomalies will make it into bug reports.  Ability to see the squares, players can either find answers themselves or get help by other players, without bothering admin.

The system will not be changed from what it has been originally designed for (don't have the time to explain the loooong list of reasons why).

The system is a good compromise, serves the purpose very well.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2018, 11:57:57 AM »
Airport distance, airport infra and traffic levels, and actual routes by players all affect on how passengers choose their preferred airport and how the demand moves between airports if there are choices.

Online MikeS

• Members
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2018, 02:30:05 PM »
not really related but ...

could we have supersonic flights displayed with a different colour on the map? just as a little incentive to operate and show off Concorde/TU-144 operations.

Thanks
Mike

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2018, 11:54:16 PM »
So, how about when we click on the pin for a different airport within the catchment area, the circle representing that airport will go a bit darker than the rest to differentiate it from the others?

It's a trainwreck trying to figure out overlap at LAX/ONT/etc

Online JumboShrimp

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2018, 09:41:48 PM »
The pop-ups for the airports within the catchment area - some of them have airport name and code, some (like the one pictured) are missing the airport name.

Also, it would be nice to turn the airport in the pop ups to hyperlinks, like the regular map.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.