Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: New maps  (Read 2883 times)

Online schro

• Members
Re: New maps
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 08:11:15 PM »
+1 on more zoom <ducks>

It at least explains why PHL is so hosed as far as CBD goes...

Adding a layer for competitor's bases in the catchment area could be helpful.

Back to the zoom topic, for busy areas like LAX, NYC, etc, it's a bit tricky to tell the finer details about which airports overlap and where as there's so many circles in play. Not sure if color coding, toggling airports with no traffic (or at/above/below a certain traffic/infrastructure threshold)

Offline DanDan

• Members
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 08:26:08 PM »
Did some very rough testing, but sharing it for convenience.

Looks great for a first draft!

More zoom? Definitely!

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 09:59:14 PM »
Looks fantastic!  I would leave the demand squares in.

+1 for extra 1 or 2 zoom levels.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 10:08:46 PM »
Also, it would be nice for the pins / flags for the other airports in the picture, if their pop-up had a function to re-center on that airport.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 10:36:12 PM »
BTW, the map works for most of the airports, but some airports end up with a blank map:
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Airport/KORD/?e=1
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Airport/KBOS/?e=1

Offline Talentz

• Members
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 11:04:01 PM »
It at least explains why PHL is so hosed as far as CBD goes...

Yeah, now I get it. That and why ONT has better CBD then the other non-LAX airports.

Also, how long do you plan on leaving the test map open Sami?

Talentz

Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 09:59:25 AM »
BTW, the map works for most of the airports, but some airports end up with a blank map:
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Airport/KORD/?e=1
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Airport/KBOS/?e=1

Looks like these are now working.

It would be great if the sizes of pins could correspond to sizes of airports.  Even if it is 2 or 3 sizes.  The center pin does not have to be the biggest.  It is already different color.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2018, 10:21:27 AM »
The problem with adding more zoom to the map is the source data. The background of the map (called tiles) are generated by a program from a very large single image of the world (it slices them to smaller pieces according to scale/zoom and other settings, and at that process other data like country border lines etc. are added to them too). These tiles are stored on the server and when you load the map it only loads those tiles you see instead of the whole globe (= about 8 small 512px JPG images, unless you move or zoom the map).

The closer we wish to zoom the higher res source data is needed and the raster background world map I have chosen doesn't have any higher res data than what is already being used. So it means that extra zoom levels will look extra blurry. I am in the lookout of higher res data for this but not sure if such is available (unless we switch to satellite imaginery which then in turn looks entirely different).

Sure, the map could be composed of vector data that allows unlimited zoom but that simply doesn't look very nice in my mind (especially on big scale the current raster world background looks very nice and very uncluttered). There are also several map data providers that could sell this data but I haven't really found one that would suit us since most of them have too much unncessary data shown and/or do not look very nice visually, or are prohibitely expensive like Google became.

In any case I have now added one extra zoom level (zoom 7) to the experimental map, other maps remain unchanged.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »
The new zoom level is great, very helpful.  Even if it does not provide extra resolution of the underlyng map.

It does spread out and separates the pins, circles and squares, which is exactly the extra detail that was needed.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »
I think this looks great, really good for now. 

It just needs

- the pop-ups for the pins (with "View airport info" adding the e=1 parameter).
- optionally, few sizes of pins to show / correspond to the sizes of airports.
- some link on the main Airoprt page (without the e=1 parameter) to toggle it on and off.
- the initial zoom level should be one zoom level more zoomed in
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:12:22 AM by JumboShrimp »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2018, 11:20:16 AM »
Also, on the country or continent level, it would be nice if this level of detail could be toggle on off

Such as:
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Country/277/

Not sure if just circles, or circles + circles.

Maybe e=1 for just circles, e=2 for both circles and squares
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:27:29 AM by JumboShrimp »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2018, 11:39:27 AM »
I noticed the maximize button.

With that, the map could just be displayed in place of the original map, with toggle(s) of:
- plain map (probably most light weight)
- toggle to add circles squares and controls (would reload the airport page with full featured map)
- the maximize button could provide bigger size screen

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 11:44:13 AM »
While we are at it, which ocean and ground relief type looks the best?

#1 (current), #2 (plain ocean), #3 (dark)

The plain one will probably be used in higher zoom levels since it allows a slightly better resolution, and it's either #1 or #2 for the larger levels (where you view the entire world at once).

Offline Talentz

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 04:08:10 PM »
I like the darker color. Make my OLED do something ~

Talentz
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 04:52:45 PM »
I like the idea of seeing the ocean's relief, but if "plain sea" reduces the weight and allows more useful data to be available, then I'll go for the 2nd option.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 06:10:26 PM »
Here's the revised map look. Most of the zoom issues are now resolved, and actually the whole source data has been changed (more vector data), and tuned the colors at the same time (darker oceans and less yellowish ground).

(I'm implementing more things bit by bit, but the map layout/styling etc. needs to be locked first but I guess we're quite near the final version now)

If some map data is too faded or too large (too thick lines) at certain zoom level, let me know. These all are tuned individually for each zoom level (for example the width of rivers etc.).

#1: new [to be made public soon], #2: old

#3: new map zoom6, #4: old map same zoom (this is the current max zoom level)  ...see the difference in details of the coastlines.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:24:48 PM by Sami »

Offline DanDan

• Members
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2018, 04:41:55 AM »
I looked into it now a it more and wondered: Does anyone know  what exactly are the orange rectangles meant to display?

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2018, 05:58:28 AM »
I looked into it now a it more and wondered: Does anyone know  what exactly are the orange rectangles meant to display?

The population tiles that participate to an airport's city based demand.

Offline DanDan

• Members
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2018, 06:18:16 AM »
The population tiles that participate to an airport's city based demand.

shouldnt they be a bit smaller, to better fit the circles? else: whats the point? just compare:
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Airport/SKRG/?e=1 (the main (international) airport for medellin)
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Airport/SKAM/?e=1 (some irrelevant airport)

the bigger airport gets less tiles than the smaller one. and of course, the population represented by the tiles should be visible (density or something).
i would certainly be glad if the tiles would be like 1/100 the area they are now, or at least 1/25. else its more about the location of the airport compared to the general grid, rather than the location compared to the actual city.

Offline Mort

• Members
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2018, 07:22:17 AM »
shouldnt they be a bit smaller, to better fit the circles? else: whats the point? just compare:
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Airport/SKRG/?e=1 (the main (international) airport for medellin)
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Airport/SKAM/?e=1 (some irrelevant airport)

the bigger airport gets less tiles than the smaller one. and of course, the population represented by the tiles should be visible (density or something).
i would certainly be glad if the tiles would be like 1/100 the area they are now, or at least 1/25. else its more about the location of the airport compared to the general grid, rather than the location compared to the actual city.

I think the tiles correspond to the actual data points used by the game - so are you suggesting a change to the underlying mechanics, or just the map?

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.