Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: New maps  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
New maps
« on: March 14, 2018, 10:34:46 AM »
Please post here collectively all suggestions related to the maps. How they can be improved and what information you'd like to be displayed on them related to the City Based Demand system.

Online Alpha

• Members
Re: New maps
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 11:37:28 AM »
Kudos to you and your team for brining up such a brilliant map. It looks very alike to those on planes.

As for further suggestions, Ill start off with some further information in maps about the airports within my base airport's CBD range  :P

Like a small red circle, and within it airport icons with links bringing me to their airport pages so that I have easier access to airport pages within my base airport's CBD range
Please see the post in the hyperlink below :D

https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,75803.msg444797.html#msg444797 by wilian.souza2

On a side note, there are still some bugs with the new map.

The range map for 777-200LR (lower MTOW) only has half the circle and the red shades on some other long haul planes (e.g. A330, A340, 767, etc) have the red shades only between the midpoint and the peaks and troughs of the curve that indicates the max range.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:12:09 PM by Mr. Alpha »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 01:08:28 PM »
These would be more in the bug category and probably PITA to fix (at least #1)
1. shading the area should shade the whole arctic region
2. when changing the base (in red square), going from my 1st base (JFK) to 2nd (BWI) works ok.  Going to 3rd (ORD) gives me a blank screen (no map).

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:57:59 PM »
Dynamic maps have now the country and state borders (not responsive to game year yet).

However not sure if it's worth trying to add cities and/or country names. Probably too much clutter and very difficult to format...

athenian

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 05:24:02 AM »
Without at least major cities its hard to work out visually what the best (ie most distance efficient) fuel stop airport is. You can always look at map associated with an airport but it becomes guesswork as you cant expand that map.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 10:41:53 AM »
I also feel that main cities' names would be very useful. In a game like this one I think most of us are not completely ignorant about geography, but worldwide geography knowledge is still hard to achieve.
-> Can't say I really know where every central China city is precisely located, for example (even though I played in China). Main cities would allow some kind of "oh, I remember that X was a little west of Y, fine"
Or when trying to figure out a range or the guesstimate catchment radius of a city and what other city is included or not in it.
As for now, we're forced to use another tool, even for info that don't need a high level of precision.

Offline wilian.souza2

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 09:11:18 PM »
Dynamic maps have now the country and state borders (not responsive to game year yet).

However not sure if it's worth trying to add cities and/or country names. Probably too much clutter and very difficult to format...

If the state borders will be time sensitive, I'd like to tell you that Brazilian state borders changed some times during the game time span, and the changes went like this:

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 10:10:01 PM »
If the state borders will be time sensitive, I'd like to tell you that Brazilian state borders changed some times during the game time span, and the changes went like this:

I think Sami meant "whole state", or countries. Not states within a federal country (even if changes are happening in that field as well).

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 10:18:23 AM »
From what I see the only visible changes would be the split of Mato Grosso state in 10/77 and Tocantins in 10/88? (the state lines are only a "bonus" so not sure if it's worth modelling those changes as their own 'events')

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 10:35:16 AM »
From what I see the only visible changes would be the split of Mato Grosso state in 10/77 and Tocantins in 10/88? (the state lines are only a "bonus" so not sure if it's worth modelling those changes as their own 'events')

Plus the creation of the Federal District (Brasilia).

Edit: in 1988, the Fernando de Noronha archipelago became part of Pernambuco.
And after DF of Brasilia was established, the former DF (Rio) became another state (Guanabara, 1960-1975) before being included in the Rio state.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:44:08 AM by Tha_Ape »

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 10:37:39 AM »
However, if doing so, that means also do it for every single federative state in the world -> quite a lot of countries and a lot of changes (USSR -> Russia too, for example).

In my opinion, city names and catchment radii are more important.

Offline wilian.souza2

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 12:42:51 PM »
Plus the creation of the Federal District (Brasilia).

Edit: in 1988, the Fernando de Noronha archipelago became part of Pernambuco.
And after DF of Brasilia was established, the former DF (Rio) became another state (Guanabara, 1960-1975) before being included in the Rio state.

The former DF/Guanabara state was merged with the state of Rio de Janeiro in 03/1975, and its limits are now the city limits of Rio de Janeiro.

Also, Rondônia was called Guaporé until 1956; Roraima was Rio Branco until 1962; these, along with Amapá and Fernando de Noronha, were not properly states, but territories directly controlled by federal government. Rondônia became a state in 1979 and the others in 1988.

Offline wilian.souza2

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 12:47:03 PM »
However, if doing so, that means also do it for every single federative state in the world -> quite a lot of countries and a lot of changes (USSR -> Russia too, for example).

Unless if we count on inputs of other players who know the geography of their countries.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 01:08:53 PM »
@Wilian

Sure, and that would be nice, but once again I feel city names and catchment areas would be more important.
Because it would look nice to have regions/states limits, but that's only aesthetics, there's no practical use (it's all inside the same country).

Offline wilian.souza2

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 06:18:35 PM »
@Wilian

Sure, and that would be nice, but once again I feel city names and catchment areas would be more important.
Because it would look nice to have regions/states limits, but that's only aesthetics, there's no practical use (it's all inside the same country).

Yes, I know it all sounds like useless culture and I would be satisfied with only the country limits time sensitive, and I agree that city names and catch areas are more important. But, as Sami has included state borders on the map, l felt urged to inform him about the changes of my country's state borders during the game span just for the sake of game immersion.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 11:16:03 PM »
I think the maps work very well.

There is one thing that could be useful:

I know getting any general labels (countries, cities) may be a challenge.  But is there a way to just put some labels on / next to / below the icon for airports?  Just a label of the airport name?

This does not have to be visible at all zoom levels, only when we are zoomed in.

And speaking of zooming in, would it be possible to have one more zoom in level?  Or would that need a lot more data?

Online Alpha

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 06:39:02 PM »
Is it also possible to show a route with its techstop in the route map? ;D

Example: Instead of LHR - AKL direct, show LHR - XXX (techstop) - AKL on the route map

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 09:47:02 AM »
Is it also possible to show a route with its techstop in the route map? ;D

Example: Instead of LHR - AKL direct, show LHR - XXX (techstop) - AKL on the route map

oh yes yes yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members

The 5 people who like this post:
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 10:07:06 PM »
Route planning map in City Based Demand...

- scrollable, zoomable

- pins of the two airports, and route line between them

- catchment circle of the two airports

- cities on map tiles/background, if possible technically (not sure yet, some difficulties with this)

Options that can be shown, not shown (off) by default:

- pins and catchment areas of other airports overlapping the catchment areas (different color than your two planned airports)

- population density grids on map (i.e. the darker the background, more dense population)

- possibly other, clickable, attributes of the areas

And in addition:

- data/links of other routes from other airports that are in competition of this planned route (overlapping airports), but this is out of the maps thread already

This is mostly planned already but feel free to add something that relates to the maps at route planning page.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members

The 6 people who like this post:
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 07:20:55 PM »
Did some very rough testing, but sharing it for convenience.

At the airport information page, add request tag "?e=1" at the end of the page address, i.e. https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Airport/ESSA/?e=1 to view the "pre-alpha coded-very-quickly experimental test-only" map of the airport with elements of city based demand data. Scroll to the end of the page ...

- blue pin is the airport you are viewing, with red ring marking the catchment radius
- red pins are other airports competing for the same demand, with corresponding cachment areas
- yellow squares are the underlying data set areas (these probably won't be visible in the "public" final version); these will be probably shown from a bit larger area but shown as population density boxes (ref. prev.msg.)

I am also checking if there is an easy way to add major city locations and their names into this zoomed map data (not on global scale maps). I do have them already in the database, it's just a matter of loading them effectively and how to display them nicely without too much clutter.

Idea is that the base level of the airport map shows only the location of the selected airport, and possibly catchment ring and nearby cities. Then with a click of a button you can add more data layers like the nearby airports to help to understand which airports are your opponents there. Similar maps will then be used in route planning pages too.

The layout is very rough and no styling has been done so it's a bit messy. And the airport marker popups will have more data etc.etc. But feel free to test around and throw in ideas, the map system is very flexible. (one thing you're gonna ask is more zoom, but that's not possible at this point yet)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:28:34 PM by Sami »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.