Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [ok] Possible Changes to Company Score  (Read 638 times)

Offline stealy

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
[ok] Possible Changes to Company Score
« on: March 11, 2018, 05:12:48 PM »
Currently, Company Score is calculated using these variables (according to Sami’s post):

“The score is calculated based on the basic statistics, and it includes the following values: Pre-tax profit, Operating revenue, Profit margin, Airline image, Transported pax (since start), Airline age, Credit rating, Fleet size, Fleet utilization, Fleet age, Fleet condition, Fuel burn per passenger, Route ASK, Route RPK, Route LF, Punctuality, Number of weekly flights, Number of airports served. These stats have been chosen since they represent a broad selection of all the possible stats, but leaving out some stats that are duplicates (like pax YTD / pax all-time) or could be easily manipulated in the short term (number of staff for example).”

I believe some of these variables need to be changed or removed from the calculation.

1) Transported pax (since start) - While it’s a good measure, it heavily favors airlines that started on day one. What about other players who joined a few days later? Or even mid game? It’s almost impossible to catch up. We already have Transported pax (Year-to-date), which reflects how many passengers an airline has carried this year. This is fair to everyone. Why not replace Transported pax (since start) with this?

2) Airline age - I personally don’t think the age of an airline says much besides... well how old the airline is. That’s not a measure of how “good” or successful an airline is. This should be removed from the calculation.

3) Fuel Burn per passenger - As JumboShrimp pointed out on many occasions, this should be changed to Fuel Burn per mile/km to better reflect the fuel efficiency. An airline flying mostly long-haul will undoubtedly lose to a regional airline in terms of Fuel Burn per passenger.

In addition, I believe cargo stats are not being calculated into Company Score. This puts cargo only airlines at a huge disadvantage. We have the stats for cargo, why not implement them into the score?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 11:04:09 AM by Sami »

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
Re: Possible Changes to Company Score
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 08:01:16 PM »
The "passengers since airline started" doesn't give so much of an advantage to old airlines as to short MH airlines (US domestic / intra-European / Japanese), flying 737 5 or 6 times a day.

Then, some figures are favoring large airlines, some not. Some others gives more point to regional airlines, others to LH airlines.
I think that's globally fair, even if we could always discuss about a "better" way.

Giving more points to old airlines is however a nice thing, in my opinion. Expanding and booming is quite easy. Having 3, 4, 5 or more renewals once you've expanded is another matter, and this should be rewarded.

However, there is a real bias in giving more points to large airlines (by quantity of planes) as this influences so many other categories.

The only real change I'd like to see is something that would give rankings in various class, aside from the overall rankings. For commuter, regional, LH, etc. Everybody mixed in when there are so many different profiles is a mess, and only real large airlines emerge at the top, only one category and always the same, and this is a bit boring.

Offline stealy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 09:23:28 PM »
Fair points. I still believe year-to-date transported passengers is a better representation than “since started.” If old airlines can keep up their transported passengers number, they would still be at the top. This just gives airlines that didn’t start on day one a chance to be at the top.

Two airlines: One started on day one with yearly passengers of 10 million. The other one started mid game; also has a yearly passengers of 10 million. The latter will never be close to the former in terms of transported passengers since start.

That’s what I think should be changed. Don’t we judge an airline by their recent performance, not how great they were 30 years ago?

But I really like the idea of different rankings for different types of airline. That’s actually a fantastic solution.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 09:57:44 PM »
The ranking are almost only about today's stats. Only 2 or 3 categories over 30+ are relative to the age, I personally think that's neither too much nor too few. And the actual performance on yearly pax is also taken into account

Plus, in the GW I'm currently playing, I'm amongst the oldest airlines but don't play in very large airports (world class airports). My transported passengers (both yearly and since the beginning) are pretty good, but nowhere near what someone could achieve in much less time in larger airports.

So ok, for someone starting 10 years prior to the end while the GW lasts for 70 years is complicated. But being amongst the top ranking airlines in 20 or 30 years is completely feasible (and has been achieved many times before).

As an example, I'm ranking 22 in pax since airline started, 26 yearly, but stayed for a complete year n°1 overall, thanks to other stats. 2 stats amongst so many others is really marginal.

Offline mp81

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 08:01:39 AM »
To touch on cargo only airlines being disadvantaged, those numbers (or lack of) do affect your overall score. There should be a designation as a cargo only carrier and not be included into that calculation. I run a pure-freight outfit and get dinged on score with my non-existent passenger totals.

Offline mp81

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:17:12 AM »
Sami I know you see this. You know that's a legit request.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 04:16:45 PM »
Cargo-only airlines haven't indeed been given much or any thought in the score process, so far.

Offline mp81

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 05:52:48 AM »
thanks for the response. as of now there are like 6 0s that factor into my overall score. i get it that its not a major issue being there arent many freight-only outfits. just thought id mention it.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.