Complexity of the full game

Started by jezbanks, February 19, 2018, 05:10:51 PM

jezbanks

Apologies if this is an obvious question:

I'm quite enjoying my trial go at the sim, it seems very engaging though the depth of control seems a little light.
In the full version (not the beginner world) is there more depth to the airline operation:

For example:
Can I interline shorthaul flights with long haul to increase pax numbers
Can I have multiple types of economy or business seating to create a 4 or 5 class aircraft Premium economy for eample of two types of biz seat)
Can I change food offering (more luxury or non at all)
Can I choose to fly Y or W patterns rather than point to point for efficiency
Can I introduce a miles or loyalty scheme - and if I can is it possible to join with other airlines (such as RW one world or star alliance)
Can I see in data the times of day that are most popular, rather than the day itself to refine my schedule
Can I see what other airlines are charging for tickets on specified routes

As I say, its an enjoyable game but I wonder if there is more depth because the beginner world is pretty straight forward

Thanks

Talentz

Hello. I'm happy for your growing interest in AWS. Allow me to answer some of those questions:

Quote from: jezbanks on February 19, 2018, 05:10:51 PM
Apologies if this is an obvious question:

I'm quite enjoying my trial go at the sim, it seems very engaging though the depth of control seems a little light.
In the full version (not the beginner world) is there more depth to the airline operation:

For example:
Can I interline shorthaul flights with long haul to increase pax numbers -- Not really modeled.
Can I have multiple types of economy or business seating to create a 4 or 5 class aircraft Premium economy for eample of two types of biz seat) - Not modeled; 3 class max
Can I change food offering (more luxury or non at all) -- Not modeled
Can I choose to fly Y or W patterns rather than point to point for efficiency -- Not modeled, though ABC routing was possible at one point.
Can I introduce a miles or loyalty scheme - and if I can is it possible to join with other airlines (such as RW one world or star alliance) Alliances are possible and highly recommend. Miles/loyalty is not modeled.
Can I see in data the times of day that are most popular, rather than the day itself to refine my schedule Not modeled; Generally pax do not want to fly between 00:00-04:59
Can I see what other airlines are charging for tickets on specified routes No, default prices is standard across the board. Besides, AWS pax are modeled to be influenced by a number of other variables. IE: -50% on your routes to crush opponents not only would BK your airline, but probably get an anti-competition complaint as well.

As I say, its an enjoyable game but I wonder if there is more depth because the beginner world is pretty straight forward

Thanks

The biggest and most influential factor that separates beginners world and full game worlds is the player competition. Sure, the settings are less forgiving, but are still very manageable. However, the competition is on a competently different scale. You compete for everything, everywhere. Its a struggle for survival everyday, least, that's the mindset you need to have every time you log in.

There's more strategy and in-depth analyses to be had, but it really begins with the increased player competition and how to deal/overcome them.

Talentz
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

jezbanks

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Im going to run out the clock on BW1 since im already down that rabbit hole and then see what is around on the full worlds.

Does the game get developed (I see cargo was recently added) so more in depth elements might come or is the PAX modelling pretty static

48days

https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,71633.0.html

This tutorial has some good information on when passengers fly.  Basically, you take a heavy penalty on any flight that takes off or lands (you can fly through, red eye flights work well for destinations east of your hub city) between 000 and 459.  You take a minor penalty for anything between 2300 and 2359, or between 500 and 559.  Beyond that, it doesn't matter when you fly.  Early morning flights can get restricted really fast at busy airports though.  Everyone wants their planes to be able to start right at 600, so those slots fill up very fast.

gazzz0x2z

The other difficult part in long games is fleet transitions. While a majority of players never succeed to survive the expansion phase, a clear majority of the survivors is then trapped because the fleet transition has not been properly planned.

The fact that other players jump on the most popular models adds to the difficulty. If A320 is there in 1985, and you plan to replace your B727 fleet by A320s, and the model is launched while you sleep, and you wake up and connect there is no free production slot until 1994, well, you're in bad position. I can afford to wait up to the mid 90s, so I'm quiet.

Tha_Ape

Quote from: jezbanks on February 19, 2018, 05:49:10 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Im going to run out the clock on BW1 since im already down that rabbit hole and then see what is around on the full worlds.

Does the game get developed (I see cargo was recently added) so more in depth elements might come or is the PAX modelling pretty static

As to answer your question more directly, no, pax modeling is still static (old system) but the plan is to get it ruled by the same city based demand system as cargo.

However what my colleagues said is very true: the depth of the game lies in the fact of not being alone. You'll have your direct competitors (route- and base-wise), but will compete with others for planes, will have to sort out a new strategy to counter what the others are doing, etc. And then alliance are also a pretty interesting thing (even though code sharing or transfers are not modeled yet).

jezbanks

cool

sounds like fun

I like a challenge