Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Advanced dynamic demand  (Read 476 times)

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
[-] Advanced dynamic demand
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:12:51 AM »
Hi,

I'll start with an example.

In current GW#2, it's almost 1975 and there is no current flight between Auckland and Western Europe. So where do the pax wanting an LHR-AKL, CDG-AKL, MAD-AKL go?

Nowhere, they stay at home.

While in real life, they would look for a transfer using 2 different companies. Or at least part of them.

So as we're going deeper into dynamic demand (even if CBD for pax is not yet implemented), at some point it would be really interesting to divert a part of the pax of, say, LHR-AKL to go through some other airport that serves both LHR and AKL.

If we consider the current situation, they could go through SVO, DMK, HKG, YUL, ATL, etc.

As only a part of the initial demand would divert, and then be spread over those said airports, the increase in demand would be rather small (unless there is only one airport serving both cities), but it would still be quite realistic and interesting. That would insert the notion of base demand and potential demand not only for a catchment area of max 200 km radius, but worldwide.

Considering this on smaller routes (LH/MH), this would also reproduce quite realistically the hub and spoke model until somebody flies point to point more efficiently.

Base demand would be the point-to-point, and potential demand the hub and spoke. And in this case potential demand would be calculated from non-served routes rather than from all possible connections (only the non-serving of a said route would trigger the effect and insert that route's demand in the potential demand calculation).

This would probably be a mess for the servers, but surely something to add on the longer run.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:23:54 PM by Sami »

Offline Luperco

• Members
Re: Advanced dynamic demand
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »
Hi think that a pax transfer between two company flights functionality is more feasible.

Pax will use my flights from LHR to SYD and from SYD to AKL.

In real life is very rare that people travel between two places where there isn't a connection flight offered by one company and its allied.
And calculate the possible routes for unnerved destinations would be very heavy.

What I would like to see is the possibility to create a connection flight using two existing flights. So if I have LHR-SYD and SID-AKL, I can create a connection flight LHR-AKL if there is the demand.

As a an addendum, I could choose one flight from those of my alliance partner. But this make things more complex also from the gameplay point of view.
Saluti
Emanuele

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 09:53:08 AM »
 :)

I finished my post with "This would probably be a mess for the servers".

Indeed. There would be the need to sort very precise rules for selecting which flights are eligible for this kind of transfer, so the computing is only made where necessary:
 - only if same company or company within the same alliance offer such a flight
 - only one (non-tech) stop allowed
 - only if unserved demand is > to x (with different values for LH, MH and possibly SH)
 - limiting the calculation to airports with traffic > to x (thus at the same time recreating the idea of hub)
 - etc.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »
Connecting flights for passengers (and cargo) is a feature that is planned.  There is a very long "Citi Based Demand" thread, and it is discussed there.

That's the next big feature.  As in HUGE feature.

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 10:26:12 PM »
@ Jumbo

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe has it been relegated in 2nd or 3rd page because I didn't see it.
Connections are planned to come alongside CBD? Or somewhat after?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 10:28:39 PM by Tha_Ape »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 07:00:37 AM »
There is a 17 page long thread here, that has been around for years.

https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,3260.0.html

Offline Tha_Ape

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 08:36:11 AM »
Ok, last post is more than one year old, that's why I didn't see it (been playing AWS for less than a year, and even though I scrambled quite a lot through the forum, I still didn't check everything).
Thanks.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.