LOAD FACTOR - Really..... !!!!! ?????

Started by BristolFlyer, November 20, 2017, 10:03:58 AM

BristolFlyer

Guys and Gals - just have got to say that I cannot understand why exactly, there has to be such HUGE penalties to LF on long haul routes in the 1960's and 1970 at least!   I was around in the RW in those days and though just a young-ish kid then, we regularly flew LH routes around the world and flights were usually pretty full from everything I recall.  I mean... JNB to western Europe in the 60's and 70's - how else to get there without a fuel stop?  Another example: Tokyo to west Europe - there are choices: (1) Fly with a fuel stop somewhere, (2) Fly a plane direct with all but 10 seats ripped out, (3) go by ship and get there a month later, (4) Walk!.    Yet here I am in 1969 with a fleet of Comet 4 which are in 1969 still a nice modern jet airliner, one fuel stop, yet my airline with CI of 90 and my RI at 100% still has LF in the teens and low 20%s.  Over 300 PAX apparently wish to fly the route, I provided 2 flights which together only offer 50% of that. Nobody else flies the route.  So for most of the 300 PAX I'm assuming in AWS world, they would rather walk then.        REALLY! ....  I mean REALLY!!!

Elladan

When you open that route in edit mode you will see a "plane too small" warning there. Change to a proper plane, 707/DC-8 or similar and you will see much better loads.

As for whether it's bears any resemblance to reality that's a separate matter. The simple answer is that's a game and games have to compromise somewhere. You can't usually have both complete reality and playability.

Sami

Before such a rant, you might wish to check the schedules of your routes. The two flights from Paris leave at the exact same time and this is the cause for the low sales. (Make sure the is at least 1hr difference between the departure times of the flights, or more even..)

Nice-Tokyo is selling with about 75% loads which looks normal. However such arrangement (small jet, very long route and techstop) will not be viable for quite much longer when planes are getting bigger and better.

BristolFlyer

Hi Sami - I wasn't trying to "rant" just feeling frustrated. If in AWS having 2 planes leave at same time is the cause that neither one is getting any LF then I did not know nor see a reason that could be a problem when still so far below full route demand - anyway, I'll try changing the 2 departure times and see the difference.
Thanks

BristolFlyer

Quote from: Elladan on November 20, 2017, 10:25:33 AM
When you open that route in edit mode you will see a "plane too small" warning there. Change to a proper plane, 707/DC-8 or similar and you will see much better loads.

As for whether it's bears any resemblance to reality that's a separate matter. The simple answer is that's a game and games have to compromise somewhere. You can't usually have both complete reality and playability.

All very well as a suggestion mate - but not at all practical since I did order a substantial DC8 fleet pretty soon after the -62 launch, which has the correct range for such flights, yet due to the enormous lead-time to getting them, I wont have my first DC until 1973 !

gazzz0x2z

well, IRL, it takes 7 years between ordering a A320 and receiving it. More or less. Which means company have to forecast long in advance. And sometimes, the junction is painful to them. It's painful to me right now. Still flying B377s in 1969.

So I have to manage, be creative, be efficient. And one day I'll get the replacements. Same for your Starliners. They are obsolete. Still, it's what you have, so try to get the best out of them, waiting for replacements.

BristolFlyer

Quote from: gazzz0x2z on November 20, 2017, 01:31:56 PM
well, IRL, it takes 7 years between ordering a A320 and receiving it. More or less. Which means company have to forecast long in advance. And sometimes, the junction is painful to them. It's painful to me right now. Still flying B377s in 1969.

So I have to manage, be creative, be efficient. And one day I'll get the replacements. Same for your Starliners. They are obsolete. Still, it's what you have, so try to get the best out of them, waiting for replacements.

Yes completely agree with you Gaz. I am trying to make the best of the fleets I have and again - in 1969 the Comet 4 was a great LH aircraft. I agree that by about 1969/70 better LH aircraft such as 707 / DC8 / 747 were appearing, but here in GW2 that just ain't possible when all those planes have thousands on the order books.  So realising the predicament, I'm here trying my best to use initiative and just found it a wee bit .... how can I put it... frustrating that folk wouldn't catch any aircraft, just because 2 leave at the same time even though the combined capacity is still less than 50% of the route demand.  Anyway - the game is what it is... and all I wished to do was heir my frustrations  in the nicest possible way. Sorry if anyone was offended, it wasn't meant to be a rant... I thought my touch of sarcasm was done with humour.  Anyway, I already swapped the second flight so that it leaves at a different time altogether and the result is better - now only 66% of PAX would rather walk from Tokyo to Paris   :laugh: