Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Request: Withdraw age limit for unpressurized aircrafts  (Read 483 times)

Offline qunow

• Members

The person who likes this post:
[-] Request: Withdraw age limit for unpressurized aircrafts
« on: September 19, 2017, 09:54:24 PM »
In real life, many unpressurized aircrafts like DC3 and such have survived into 2010s and remain in continuous service, which I heard it is made possible partially due to the lack of pressurization and thus the lack of fatigue on the airframe per each flight. Would it make sense to remove the "Max 35 years" age rule in AWS?

As I was looking for info about the Basler BT-67 conversion of DC-3, then I realized that as the conversion's launched in 1990 in real life, which in AWS all DC3s would have been scrapped by then.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:38:47 PM by Sami »

Offline Talentz

• Members
Re: Request: Withdraw age limit for unpressurized aircrafts
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 11:03:44 PM »
In real life, many unpressurized aircrafts like DC3 and such have survived into 2010s and remain in continuous service, which I heard it is made possible partially due to the lack of pressurization and thus the lack of fatigue on the airframe per each flight. Would it make sense to remove the "Max 35 years" age rule in AWS?

As I was looking for info about the Basler BT-67 conversion of DC-3, then I realized that as the conversion's launched in 1990 in real life, which in AWS all DC3s would have been scrapped by then.

True, but what is the practicality of flying a 50 yr old aircraft other then dreamhood? With the Super DC-3, we will get new-ish build DC3s. By the late 60s/early 70s, it wont be useful anymore other then serving as a cheap start up for new freighter ops.

Plus have you ever D checked a 30yr+ old aircraft? Its very expensive and just not worth it.

The BT-67 is really cool and I would even like to fly on one, but totally impractical in AWS as is.

Talentz
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

Offline tyteen4a03

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
True, but what is the practicality of flying a 50 yr old aircraft other then dreamhood? With the Super DC-3, we will get new-ish build DC3s. By the late 60s/early 70s, it wont be useful anymore other then serving as a cheap start up for new freighter ops.

Plus have you ever D checked a 30yr+ old aircraft? Its very expensive and just not worth it.

The BT-67 is really cool and I would even like to fly on one, but totally impractical in AWS as is.

Talentz
Unless there's a hard limit, it should be up to the airline whether they want to pay the exponential cost or not.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »
The 35yrs is a design limit, and it is used in various financial calculations, so not really worth making the changes "just for a few DC-3s" ..

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 01:20:33 PM »
The 35yrs is a design limit, and it is used in various financial calculations, so not really worth making the changes "just for a few DC-3s" ..

interesting information. Thanks for that.

Offline qunow

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 06:57:51 PM »
In real life, aircrafts do being operate even after they're being fully depreciated?
And that's not just DC-3 being unpressurized
ANd then among pressurized aircraft there are also different airframe with different age limit

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: [-] Request: Withdraw age limit for unpressurized aircrafts
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 07:02:26 PM »
Depreciation is based on 25yo span, it is different.

Offline qunow

• Members
Re: [-] Request: Withdraw age limit for unpressurized aircrafts
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 07:28:09 PM »
Depreciation is based on 25yo span, it is different.
humm...
Then what are other financial calculations being involved?

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.