Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Single Flight Leases  (Read 346 times)

Offline valmarus

• Members
Single Flight Leases
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:13:02 AM »
Since the game allows leasing between players I was thinking it might be a nice feature to be able to lease for single flights. Players could set a single flight lease amount and an emergency lease price. The single lease price could be used to lease planes for a regularly schedules flight that might not justify owning a plane for (ie a very low volume low frequency route) with the idea being owner would set a reasonable price/hr for such a lease so that the company doing the flight can still turn a profit. The plane would be leased out for that slot only and could fulfil multiple different flights if they fit the planes schedule. This options would be done on a regular basis with options for setting this lease to repeat for the flight slot every week or for every B maintenance slot.

The emergency lease would be for when a flight is cancelled for some reason. Schedules should have an "Allow emergency lease" box (and maybe a max lease price box) which would allow the flight owner to state whether to allow such a replacement aircraft to be leased. The idea of separating out these two as different prices is that this could be a lot more expensive, the person owning the flight losing their profit or making a loss but saving their reputation.

In both cases the flight owner pays the by the hour fee for each hour or part there of the plane is in their care, including the time it takes for the plane to fly from and return to its base airport. I'd suggest that emergency leases should only be able to be taken at airports the plane is based at since they would be such short notice, or perhaps put a flight time limit on how long it would take the flight to fly to the airport of the cancellation. Additionally implementing such a system there could be an option for the player to lease from themselves (without paying the fee) to have a standby aircraft or 2 that will replace cancellations or be used to b maintenance slots that they could also be leasing to others when they're not using it themselves.

DannyWilliams

• Former member
Re: Single Flight Leases
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 05:01:37 PM »
Now this is something i can get behind.

It's my honest opinion that the scheduling/maintenance system is nowhere close to being complex enough.
That said i know this is a REALLY big ask of Sami so i won't hold my breath :-\

Cheers
Danny   

Offline TK airlines

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:14:05 PM »
Atleast the ability to select aircraft which will fly the routes flown by aircraft on maintenance. It would be nice if we could select big maintenances like C and D checks so, that the replacement aircraft will fly all the time, while the regular aircraft are maintained not at the same moment.

Lets say I have one spare ATR42 (#19) which will take over flights from ATR #1 for 35 days (D check), after that ATR #5 goes for its C check for 10 days, ATr #6 for 10 days, etc.

Schedule like how you schedule normal flights, but not as single flights for a week but as aircraft maintenance periode for every month of the year.

This can also be done with short term leased aircraft or with regular (leased or owned) fleet.

I know that it is hard to add, but would solve the unnessesary drop in passengers and unflown routes due to heavy maintenance.
TK Regional

DannyWilliams

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 06:52:31 PM »
Atleast the ability to select aircraft which will fly the routes flown by aircraft on maintenance. It would be nice if we could select big maintenances like C and D checks so, that the replacement aircraft will fly all the time, while the regular aircraft are maintained not at the same moment.

Lets say I have one spare ATR42 (#19) which will take over flights from ATR #1 for 35 days (D check), after that ATR #5 goes for its C check for 10 days, ATr #6 for 10 days, etc.

Schedule like how you schedule normal flights, but not as single flights for a week but as aircraft maintenance periode for every month of the year.

This can also be done with short term leased aircraft or with regular (leased or owned) fleet.

I know that it is hard to add, but would solve the unnessesary drop in passengers and unflown routes due to heavy maintenance.
I got tired of having unexpected drop in pax numbers, so i ALWAYS have 1-3 planes in backup for heavy main...

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 07:05:40 PM »
In current GW3, I've got 1018 flying airframes(plus a few idle ones). Currently 44 are in maintenance(16 D, 28 C), and it's less than average. With 3 different fleet groups(end of the game, no more fleet changes, I can afford). Doing plane replacement by hand would just be insane. An automatic thing could be nice, though one would have to do the math to check the usefulness of the leases.

DannyWilliams

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
You are completely right, even i wouldn't have time to change all the planes going into maintenance once i pass 400+ ac's, let alone 1000+ ac's... And that's coming from someone that usually spends 6-8 hours a day on AWS... :-[

Offline schro

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 08:03:18 PM »
I'm thinking the single flight arrangements would be too much overhead compared to what it adds to the game and what it adds to your bottom line, as it's not like you're penalized for not running a flight.

The other concept mentioned has been previously proposed in the concept of scheduling pools, but I suspect it's not a priority at this point.

To the folks that are bent on swapping planes during maintenance, I would suggest that since the game was designed like it was, the profit models already account for down time and you're more or less wasting time that you could spend on more profitable ventures, like scheduling your spare planes, searching for new routes or optimizing your route pricing, all of which would yield more profit than swapping out a plane in a check.

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 08:24:25 PM »
(.../...)optimizing your route pricing,(.../...)

That's me in a nutshell. I can gain quite a few points of margin by price micromanagement, line by line. Of course, for my 1018 airplanes company, I do it only once a week roughly. But for a bludgeoning company, it's rather efficient, and not that time consuming, to do it twice a day.

Though the "schedule your spare planes" you speak about is much, much, much quicker, and rewarded much faster. And much more important. The simple fact that you occupy more destinations and more slots is a deterrent to opposition. Without even counting the financial gain(real in most cases), the simple fact of occupying the place is important in the psychological warfare happening. Each time an opponent attacked my strongholds, I noticed that I had not enough occupied the place, and left some holes. Don't leave anything to opposition. It's even more important than earning money. Deter opposition from attacking you(especially hard in GW2 where flyable planes are impossible to find, but still, I think Poland does not look like a juicy target right now.).

DannyWilliams

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 08:36:55 PM »
Of course, for my 1018 airplanes company, I do it only once a week roughly. But for a bludgeoning company, it's rather efficient, and not that time consuming, to do it twice a day.
How do you micromanage your pricing? I usually just mark every single route over 92% LF and increase pricing by 6%, this is something i do every evening before i go to bed to let the LF go down and i end up waking to a positive LF increase again ::)

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 07:39:29 AM »
How do you micromanage your pricing? I usually just mark every single route over 92% LF and increase pricing by 6%, this is something i do every evening before i go to bed to let the LF go down and i end up waking to a positive LF increase again ::)

Well, I'm sorting routes by destination. In this huge game, it's 20 pages. Then I'm having a quick look at the routes. I know, for example, that my 737 routes from Warsaw, especially the short ones, are bound to be half-empty, because opposition here is especially efficient. So I'm raising prices here, at least for short routes, rather liberally. Better 30% LF af 270$ than 60% at 120$. Most other routes, I check whatever has 90% or plus on both ways(you get even better results when you micromanage leg by leg, but it's insane in terms of time spent). And then, I'm analyzing the situation; sometimes, one of my airplanes is in maintenance. Sometimes, my LF is suspisciously high and it's probably one opponent in maintenance. In other cases, I'm increasing. For simplicity, all my prices are multiples of 10. So at 92% LF, I make +10$. At 95% LF, +30$.

It's also a matter of knowing your routes. When I was spamming Hamburg with ERJs, I noticed that you could milk more passengers to rich UK than to poor Serbia. So I also take this in account. I won't price as punitively a flight between Poznan and Alicante than a flight between Hamburg and London City.

It's also a matter of seating. Economy seating is brutally punitive if you are marginally too costly, while standard seating is far more forgiving. For CRJ100s or ERJs, I had another strategy : I noticed the max amount of money I could do per flight(for example, 21 k$ per day in the USA in 2006/2008 for CRJ100s), and is LF was above 90% and route profit below 21k$, I made a rise.

DannyWilliams

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 07:54:36 AM »
It's also a matter of seating. Economy seating is brutally punitive if you are marginally too costly, while standard seating is far more forgiving. For CRJ100s or ERJs, I had another strategy : I noticed the max amount of money I could do per flight(for example, 21 k$ per day in the USA in 2006/2008 for CRJ100s), and is LF was above 90% and route profit below 21k$, I made a rise.
I am currently using a mix of Premium and Standard seating on my Saab 90's and Breguet 763 Provence fleets, mainly i use Premium seats if the route is less than 300nm and it has more than one competitor on it (seems to be working pretty good so far...)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.