converting new plane lease to purchase, also buying a used plane that's on lease

Started by groundbum2, August 03, 2017, 01:19:19 PM

groundbum2

If I lease a new plane for delivery in say, 5 years, I  pay 5 months deposit. What happens to this deposit if I then convert the lease to purchase with, say, 20% down? Is my deposit used for the new 20%, lost or something in the middle?

When is the optimal time to convert a lease to a purchase, even if after delivery?

Related but different question. Say I've leased a used plane for 3 years, then decide to buy it midway through the lease. Is the purchase price affected by the value of the lease, am I paying some kind of penalty for terminating the lease early?

Thank You! Simon

paddk989

The lease deposit is deducted from the 20% down payment. If you elect to convert the lease to a 20% down payment on the buy option, you can see the financial figures displayed, before you decide to confirm the transaction or not.

Cardinal

For your second question, you pay a penalty of 50% of the remaining lease payments on top of the purchase price of the plane. The same applies if you simply cancel a lease, you pay a penalty of 50% of the remaining lease payments.