Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Aircraft not locked to one particular base  (Read 483 times)

matt84

• Former member
[-] Aircraft not locked to one particular base
« on: July 16, 2017, 12:33:14 PM »
This may have been discussed, I had a scroll through and couldnt see anything but Im sure I missed it ... so apologies
It would be great if it were possible to schedule aircraft that were not tied to a particular base, most airlines dont have aircraft locked in one base and in fact purposely move them through the network. It might be too confusing to code or organise but having an aircraft start in my case here in Australia in Brisbane and run down to Sydney early in the morning before shooting to Melbourne and back for peak period and then doing a cairns return to Sydney before again doing a Melbourne return and then back to Brisbane would be really handy.
I understand for balancing reasons the base issue and unlocking all airports would unbalance the game but maybe allowing connecting flights as mentioned if the person has at least a small base there and allowing overnight operations for a medium base and engineering support only if you have a large base ... or something along those lines ... Just adds some flexibility to the process or rostering aircraft and could even add increase risks of cancellations and delays at posts with out engineering support due tech issues just to make players think twice and giving a risk reward. You would still have to have it scheduled to return to its engineering base once a week for its B check and rest in a port with engineering support for enough time for its A check as well .  Its probably only me that wants to be able to do this and it really only benefits domestic flights until the 8th and 9th freedoms are unlocked or the EU opens up but for us playing in larger nations with viable domestic networks it would for me allow for clever timetables and better utilisation of a fleet ...   Its probably too complicated to look at but thought id see what others thought about it , cheers
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:06:22 PM by Sami »

Online NorgeFly

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Aircraft not locked to one particular base
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »
Going back several years (at least 3-4 years), before bases were introduced, this was possible. Flights could have up to two legs which meant you could route them through an unofficial focus city as in your example. However, when bases were introduced this function removed and now flights must start and return to a base.

I would argue, as you do, that we should be able to route through any airport that is already a base. For example, if SYD and MEL are both base airports, we should be able to route an aircraft SYD-PER-MEL-AKL-MEL-PER-SYD or anything similar. I'm not even suggesting that passenger can connect between flights, would just be nice to have the added flexibility. As long as each leg either starts or finishes in a base airport it wouldn't be a problem. It would allow for more creative scheduling and improved aircraft utilisation.

As in the real world, an aircraft may only be needed for part of the day at its "home" airport so being able to use it an alternative airport some of the time would be good.

Offline qunow

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 01:22:05 PM »
I think it can probably be implemented via:
- Allow domestic fifth freedom flight by overhauling the tech stop system
- Split outgoing and incoming flights from a base, so that when the aircraft is out-based, it is still possible to arrange maintenance and/or another flight during the blank period instead of having to sit there waiting for return flight.
If these two are implemented, then aircrafts would still have base but they won't need to stick to the base all the time and can virtually being used everywhere in the country without needing to stick to the base. However, it would indeed make large players more easily to monopolize the market of entire country, as the amount of hub restriction placed on them will no longer carry any real meaning and they can expand to any untapped markets even without base in those places.

matt84

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:26:28 PM »
Yeah I agree, I wouldn't need to connect passengers in this feature, just have the aircraft operate that sector pattern , I just assume the passenger demands include some passengers that connect through in my mind anyway, so connecting pax doesn't worry me , but as you mention the flexibility to roster your fleet that way would mean its not just about fleet size but how you use them and would allow me to operate only a few higher capacity airframes but use them wisely and I think this adds to the game and to the strategic element of competition . I also agree that for balancing you would need to have a base in the city you want to operate a sector out of, without a base you would be limited to a return trip or a trip back to a base at least . Thanks for the input, oh and qunow i think to counter this (monopoly issue) you would have to only allow the feature if the player has a base in said city p

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:06:17 PM »
Technically aircraft is always assigned to a single base.

(3-leg routes are technically already almost possible but not in use, and no plans for that for now)

DaRealWAZY

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 01:54:31 AM »
Technically aircraft is always assigned to a single base.

(3-leg routes are technically already almost possible but not in use, and no plans for that for now)

So that means a possibility in the future? Ok I am reading in to things to much now

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.