Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] CV340 compared to Martin 4-0-4  (Read 383 times)

Offline qunow

• Members
[-] CV340 compared to Martin 4-0-4
« on: July 15, 2017, 06:41:37 AM »
They have same engine, almost the same MTOW, comparable max payload, which also mean comparable OEW, similar speed, and in other aspects they are also comparable. How come Martin 4-0-4 can fly twice as far as CV340?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:13:21 PM by Sami »

Offline Talentz

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: CV340 compared to Martin 4-0-4
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 07:47:01 AM »
They have same engine, almost the same MTOW, comparable max payload, which also mean comparable OEW, similar speed, and in other aspects they are also comparable. How come Martin 4-0-4 can fly twice as far as CV340?

Mm off the top of my head; the CV-340 is a stretch of the CV-240 basically expanding capacity for range. The Martin 4-0-4 is a stretch of the 2-0-2 but retains the same capacity in terms of pax (with a big more cargo).

I guess simply put, fuel capacity was increased with the 4-0-4.

I don't have the original docs I used for the data collection anymore, but I remember reading though them and wondering the same thing. IE: fuel capacity.

Talentz
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

Offline qunow

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 06:39:58 PM »
However, the CV340 payload range chart in the game have a turning point which turn slightly steeper to the right at 2900kg payload, a payload roughly equal to 32 passengers.
From my understanding on this kind of payload range chart, for aircrafts with such kind of turning point on payload range chart, It would imply the aircraft is MTOW-limited before the turning point and fuel capacity limited after the turning point, which would make the aircraft cannot trade more payload for fuel on board and result in a more disproportional decrease in payload compared to extra range. Therefore, the maximum range of the aircraft CV340 with ~40-52 passengers should not be a result of fuel capacity limitation.
As for exact fuel capacity, http://www.prop-liners.com/c340tech.htm this page say CV340's fuel capacity is 1550 US gallons, while http://www.prop-liners.com/martin404tech.htm this page say Martin 4-0-4's fuel capacity is only 1370 US gallon.
Also https://books.google.com/books?id=ZvOUCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT133&lpg=PT133&source=bl&ots=9sjXEcRH4i&sig=RijEK0bgJ-W7UBBRf1qqGXghPFE&hl=zh-TW&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbxvy9-IvVAhWFHZQKHcaOBtgQ6AEIQjAD#v=onepage&f=false this book claims CV340 have more fuel capacity than CV240.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:44:54 PM by qunow »

Offline Talentz

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 06:09:35 AM »
However, the CV340 payload range chart in the game have a turning point which turn slightly steeper to the right at 2900kg payload, a payload roughly equal to 32 passengers.
From my understanding on this kind of payload range chart, for aircrafts with such kind of turning point on payload range chart, It would imply the aircraft is MTOW-limited before the turning point and fuel capacity limited after the turning point, which would make the aircraft cannot trade more payload for fuel on board and result in a more disproportional decrease in payload compared to extra range. Therefore, the maximum range of the aircraft CV340 with ~40-52 passengers should not be a result of fuel capacity limitation.
As for exact fuel capacity, http://www.prop-liners.com/c340tech.htm this page say CV340's fuel capacity is 1550 US gallons, while http://www.prop-liners.com/martin404tech.htm this page say Martin 4-0-4's fuel capacity is only 1370 US gallon.
Also https://books.google.com/books?id=ZvOUCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT133&lpg=PT133&source=bl&ots=9sjXEcRH4i&sig=RijEK0bgJ-W7UBBRf1qqGXghPFE&hl=zh-TW&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbxvy9-IvVAhWFHZQKHcaOBtgQ6AEIQjAD#v=onepage&f=false this book claims CV340 have more fuel capacity than CV240.

Didn't you just answer your own question though? Cv-340 is fuel capacity limited because of payload/MOTW. It can take more pax at a cost of less fuel. Doesn't matter if the fuel capacity is 10000 gal, it can't get off the ground with all that weight.

The martin 4-0-4 is limited to 40 pax which means more fuel can be carried which enables it to go further. Its also a tid bit lighter, thus more fuel efficient at longer ranges. Throw in 50kg more payload and yeah, thats going to range a CV-340 all day.

So...

The CV-340 is limited in max fuel capacity because of its ability to carry more pax over the Cv-240 and Martin 4-0-4.

CV-340 max fuel of 1550 us gallon = 4226kg-ish. Max pax, no cargo = 52 souls which equates to 4717kg-ish. So max fuel + max pax (no cargo) = 8943kg. CV-340 max payload is 6075kg. So 4717 pax payload - max payload = 1358kg-ish of fuel capacity. This equates to 497 us gallon. So roughly, a CV-340 with 52 souls can only use 1/3 of fuel capacity at max payload.

I don't have the original docs I used for the data collection anymore, but I remember reading though them and wondering the same thing. IE: fuel capacity.

Should be changed to: I don't have the original docs I used for the data collection anymore, but I remember reading though them and wondering the same thing. IE: Usable fuel capacity.

My bad,

Talentz

Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

Offline qunow

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 11:10:55 AM »
Didn't you just answer your own question though? Cv-340 is fuel capacity limited because of payload/MOTW. It can take more pax at a cost of less fuel. Doesn't matter if the fuel capacity is 10000 gal, it can't get off the ground with all that weight.

The martin 4-0-4 is limited to 40 pax which means more fuel can be carried which enables it to go further. Its also a tid bit lighter, thus more fuel efficient at longer ranges. Throw in 50kg more payload and yeah, thats going to range a CV-340 all day.
Ah sorry, I forgot to explicitly state that I was not comparing both aircrafts' paper range. If you look at the payload range chart, at 40 passengers the CV340 still can only fly 735nm , compared to 4-0-4's 1280. And then at zero payload, CV340 can fly 1110nm, while 4-0-4 can fly 2220nm.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 05:13:16 PM »
Specifications of these old models are not always accurate but were based on the best available information. We have some flight manual data on both models and will be updated some time in the future.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.