Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [ok] Re-activate airport database tool; Player-led group for updating data  (Read 784 times)

Offline Talentz

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
I request that the airport database tool be re-activated to allow airports in the game be as accurate as data allows them to be. To include, but not limited to: Airport open/close date(s), name changes and runway expansions.

We, the AWS community, understand the time to personally research and update all 3000ish airports would cause you to increase your alcohol consumption by staggeringly unhealthy levels... I suggest a player-led group to take on the task above using the airport database tool. Much like past projects that have been engaged.

This could possibly look like:

1. Two players appointed by you to lead a group of players selected by those two.
2. The appointed players are responsible for managing the activities of the group. Then report to you any concerns/needs that are to be addressed.
3. Possible compensation (credits) for players volunteering in group.

The goal of the Airport Update 2017 project is to have all airports in the game updated with there historical data within 3 months. The next ultra-long GW ends in roughly 4 months time. Lets push to wrap this up and ready to roll out for the new GW #1.

Earliest start dates for games, first public cargo game and a new, historical world airport landscape...

There's much to be excited about in 2017!!

Talentz

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:36:14 AM by Sami »
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

Offline TK airlines

• Members
I can supply you with some information about Turkish airports if needed
TK Regional

Offline Talentz

• Members
I can supply you with some information about Turkish airports if needed

That would help greatly! When the time comes, we will need all the help we can get ~

Talentz
Co-founder and Managing member of: The Star Alliance Group™ - A beta era, multi-brand alliance.

Offline Cardinal

• Members
I would like to fix some airport names that have just the name of whoever they are named after, not the city they serve.

For example: KGRB is only identified as "Austin Straubel International", no mention of the city of Green Bay, Wisconsin. This can cause confusion with KAUS (Austin, Texas), especially if you don't live in North America.

Other airports include both the city and the name. For example: "Atlanta - Hartsfield-Jackson"

Offline Talentz

• Members
I would like to fix some airport names that have just the name of whoever they are named after, not the city they serve.

For example: KGRB is only identified as "Austin Straubel International", no mention of the city of Green Bay, Wisconsin. This can cause confusion with KAUS (Austin, Texas), especially if you don't live in North America.

Other airports include both the city and the name. For example: "Atlanta - Hartsfield-Jackson"

My overall goals for this project are:

Update/add historical opening/closing dates for all airports in the DB.
Update/add historical names (when/where possible) for all airports in the DB.
Update/add historical runway length extensions as they happened.
Add historical airports that once had commercial service.
Address anything else related to airports in DB

Also, since this still an issue, look at and simplified the process when transferring between airports that open/close. Create a list; clearly show what happens/options, then post it on the forums for everyone to read/understand. Once that's done, the player will know what to expect from there HQ/bases and Sami won't need to manually do anything.

So, yeah, pretty easy project.

Talentz

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

The 2 people who like this post:
A separate airport data tool will be published soon.

It will open to every registered user, and the project forum will also be visible to everyone who has been logged in. In the project tool one needs to quote a verifiable source for all submissions they make so it's easier to allow the tool to everyone rather than collect a separate group of users for it.

You can add new airports and add/delete attributes of existing airports with the tool. This tool will be also used to collect additional airport data for a new "airport attribute" feature, related to city based demand.

Once the data collection gets going a few administrators for the data checking (to check & verify the submissions) are needed.

At the same time there will be some structural changes to airport databases since we're moving more and more away from static airports with static data. Things such as countryID, coordinates, altitude and timezone won't be editable/visible in the airport tool, but rest are.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:18:12 PM by Sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

The person who likes this post:

Please head over to the new data forum: https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/board,590.0.html

And read the instructions and feel free to start using the tool. But ask questions if you are unsure, the documentation and tool are a bit work-in-progress still.

I will post an official announcement after the first & eager of you have had a go with it.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.