Gazzz's tutorials : Scheduling

Started by gazzz0x2z, May 14, 2017, 09:07:26 AM

Sir William Claud Townson

sorry to bump but I had to say ... this thread has blown my mind

seven days seven aircraft...  :o

I came so close to figuring this out myself and yet so very, very far away. I've been messing around with Airwaysim on and off for a bit. I wish there was a brand new The Jet Age game so I could do this right from the beginning. I'm looking at my mess of slots now with shame  :-[  :laugh:

gazzz0x2z

Took me 9 months of playing before my first try, and that was a very easy one(4 flights a week). Then 3 more years before using them for something else than very large aircraft. I just finished a 7-7 schedule with 7 MRJ70 in Leila Sebbar.I am getting used to them, finally.

But they are not always the best choice. It depends on the situation. And simpler methods may work up to 5000NM or so, though less efficiently.

Hotcliff

Quote from: gazzz0x2z on August 21, 2018, 12:49:20 PM
Took me 9 months of playing before my first try, and that was a very easy one(4 flights a week). Then 3 more years before using them for something else than very large aircraft. I just finished a 7-7 schedule with 7 MRJ70 in Leila Sebbar.I am getting used to them, finally.

But they are not always the best choice. It depends on the situation. And simpler methods may work up to 5000NM or so, though less efficiently.
Hi gazz!
I did my first trial in ,Chile, South America with 7 Connies up to 2100 nm. It was amazing, once you set up the week flights for a/c no 1, then duplicating them with one day lag for each one. It worked very well  :D
Too bad my 35 Connies drained my profits in maintenance costs, but I realized my mistake and started over in Zagreb with F27-F28's  ;D

Turbine

How big of a penalty to LF is it to be leaving at 5:00 rather than 6:00? Because I can fly enough extra miles to add an extra route in some cases if I depart at 5:00, but that doesn't matter if I'm going to be penalized more than not flying it to begin with. I know its been said that its a small penalty, but what is small in this case?

Hotcliff

Quote from: Turbine on October 05, 2018, 02:16:08 PM
How big of a penalty to LF is it to be leaving at 5:00 rather than 6:00? Because I can fly enough extra miles to add an extra route in some cases if I depart at 5:00, but that doesn't matter if I'm going to be penalized more than not flying it to begin with. I know its been said that its a small penalty, but what is small in this case?
I do share your question indeed..
I have been wondering about this for a long time now, but never got a good answer. So, let's say how much does it affect a route between 06:00 and 05:00 and also, ldg between 23:55 and 01:00 ???
I have flown a lot in my life but never found a ticket cheaper if it landed after midnight  :laugh:

gazzz0x2z

to my knowledge, the penalty is around 10% at 0500 instead of 0600. I did some extensive testing on Detroit-Buffalo, a line where I hadno opposition at the time, and While I could raise the ticket price up to 440$ at 0600, The plane was no more full above 400$ per ticket at 0500. This, in the late 2020s,and before the pricing overhaul that went with the arrival of cargo.

Turbine

Quote from: Hotcliff on October 05, 2018, 02:37:59 PM
I do share your question indeed..
I have been wondering about this for a long time now, but never got a good answer. So, let's say how much does it affect a route between 06:00 and 05:00 and also, ldg between 23:55 and 01:00 ???
I have flown a lot in my life but never found a ticket cheaper if it landed after midnight  :laugh:

Hah! If only...then I'd only fly red-eyes.  ;)

Quote from: gazzz0x2z on October 05, 2018, 07:29:33 PM
to my knowledge, the penalty is around 10% at 0500 instead of 0600. I did some extensive testing on Detroit-Buffalo, a line where I hadno opposition at the time, and While I could raise the ticket price up to 440$ at 0600, The plane was no more full above 400$ per ticket at 0500. This, in the late 2020s,and before the pricing overhaul that went with the arrival of cargo.

Gotcha, thank you. Seems like it can be an issue in some cases especially when you're cash strapped or have some competition.

Hotcliff

Quote from: gazzz0x2z on October 05, 2018, 07:29:33 PM
Thanks gazzz,
10% is no disaster if I can squeeze in a 3rd route a day on some F27's  :D

tungstennedge

So I have been scheduling routes for planes under 2500nm recently and I have noticed a little dilema. I am running out of "Night flights", referring to flights usually around 1700NM or farther away which allows my plane to skip the bad nights hours, while there is still plenty of demand on flights much shorter flights which fill the rest of the day. Should I keep adding to night flights which are no longer very profitable thanks to oversupply, or should I just forget about the night and schedule planes throughout the day? I usually favour forgetting about the night hours and just squeezing three flights from 6:00-23:00.

I just want to hear how the experienced guys deal with this since I am really learning the value of efficiency in this game.

Thanks!

Mort

Quote from: tungstennedge on June 02, 2019, 12:22:18 AM
So I have been scheduling routes for planes under 2500nm recently and I have noticed a little dilema. I am running out of "Night flights", referring to flights usually around 1700NM or farther away which allows my plane to skip the bad nights hours, while there is still plenty of demand on flights much shorter flights which fill the rest of the day. Should I keep adding to night flights which are no longer very profitable thanks to oversupply, or should I just forget about the night and schedule planes throughout the day? I usually favour forgetting about the night hours and just squeezing three flights from 6:00-23:00.

I just want to hear how the experienced guys deal with this since I am really learning the value of efficiency in this game.

Thanks!

Bit difficult in your position at LHR, but in certain places you can look west as well as east.

What you might decide to do if you're running out of options is for routes say 13-1600nm where the demand is lower, and you are likely to be the only supplier is to leave later in the evening, as I believe the late departure penalty is lower than the early arrival one.

You could also move to a mix and match type 7 day schedule, where some days are just 3 shorter routes and the plane sits on the tarmac overnight at a 4th, flying back in the morning.

gazzz0x2z

Quote from: tungstennedge on June 02, 2019, 12:22:18 AM

Thanks!

A problem I have myself with S2000s in MAD. not only I'm short of red eyes(that's the technical time when you fly long enough to take off in the evening and land in the morning) destinations since a long time, but I'm now short of sleepover destinations. I don't think you're nearing being short of sleepover destinations.

A good sleepover destination has a 0005 curfews, or even less than that, you land at 2355, you take off at 0500. Of course, it's not as good as a red eyes flight, but IMHO, better have a full sleepover flight than en empty red eyes flight. Red eyes flights are far, therefore costly in fuel, you'd better fill them or avoid them. Giving up a little bit of efficiency to get a lot more revenue always paid up rewards to me. It's even better when you can have both, but when you can't, my choice is always to go to better revenue, at the expense of cost efficiency. Still, think about it : with sleepovers, your bird turns over 305 minutes during the night. In LHR and its 2306 curfew, would be 425 minutes at best(assuming you can get slots at 0600, which is never a given in LHR).

My reasoning is the following one : when your company is profitable, income will be bigger than expenses. Therefore optimizing for income is more rewarding than optimizing for expenses. Not always true, of course, but often enough for bringing rewards.

edvonbrock

H. I'm in the Eurochallenge. I've decided to purchase 6 Airbus 318 and configure them to be business jets. 6 First Class 15 Business and 66 Economy Class seats. Will the first class seats work? Or would that configuration work?

s5cmh170

I just started using this concept after years of playing this game - thank you!

My question is: Is there a workaround for taking routes that are already flying "Every day" and separating them to create a new flight for each day? One of my base airports has no slots available between 05:00-07:05. And even though I already have a slot for a daily flight, when I go to separate them I have to "Create another route like this" and can't get my original slot time back, which interferes with my 24/7 scheduling.

Hope my question/explanation make sense!

LemonButt

Quote from: s5cmh170 on June 23, 2020, 03:09:19 PM
I just started using this concept after years of playing this game - thank you!

My question is: Is there a workaround for taking routes that are already flying "Every day" and separating them to create a new flight for each day? One of my base airports has no slots available between 05:00-07:05. And even though I already have a slot for a daily flight, when I go to separate them I have to "Create another route like this" and can't get my original slot time back, which interferes with my 24/7 scheduling.

Hope my question/explanation make sense!

Create new flight like this > cancel the previous flight (keep slots) > click submit to create the new one (with 7 day schedules)

Just requires additional tabs...

wildavidson

Quote from: LemonButt on June 23, 2020, 03:51:51 PM
Create new flight like this > cancel the previous flight (keep slots) > click submit to create the new one (with 7 day schedules)

Just requires additional tabs...
I think what he means is he's done that and can't get the slots again at that exact time. If his flights are at say 6am and it's busy sometimes if you keep the slots and try to use them again you need to go to 10 or quarter past before you can use them.

LemonButt

Quote from: wildavidson on June 23, 2020, 04:00:00 PM
I think what he means is he's done that and can't get the slots again at that exact time. If his flights are at say 6am and it's busy sometimes if you keep the slots and try to use them again you need to go to 10 or quarter past before you can use them.

Yes--you click create new flight to open in a new window.  You close the current flight and keep slots and in the new window the slots will be available...it will still show you buying slots, but it will say the price is zero.

groundbum2

but sometimes you "release" an 0600 slot in one tab, but in the other tab it's not available, you have to go to 0605 or 0610.

I think there's almost a bell curve spread going on, and sometimes the games gives away slots when it shouldn't, so when it see's a chance to get the slots back it does! You *will* get an 06xx slot, that's guaranteed, it just may be 5 or 10 minutes either side. Kinda annoying when you want a neat 7 day/1 line on a route..

Simon

Mort

Quote from: groundbum2 on June 23, 2020, 04:53:43 PM
but sometimes you "release" an 0600 slot in one tab, but in the other tab it's not available, you have to go to 0605 or 0610.

I think there's almost a bell curve spread going on, and sometimes the games gives away slots when it shouldn't, so when it see's a chance to get the slots back it does! You *will* get an 06xx slot, that's guaranteed, it just may be 5 or 10 minutes either side. Kinda annoying when you want a neat 7 day/1 line on a route..

Simon

I've only ever seen that happen of you release the slots back to the public pool.

Every time without fail if I have closed a route and kept the slots, I can create a route using that slot at the exact same time.

s5cmh170

Quote from: Mort on June 23, 2020, 05:21:15 PM
I've only ever seen that happen of you release the slots back to the public pool.

Every time without fail if I have closed a route and kept the slots, I can create a route using that slot at the exact same time.

Thank you! I just tried this on one flight at the base with no available slots and was able to do exactly what you said. Cancel the daily flight and keep the slots in one tab, and create a new route on separate days at the same time in another tab.

sanabas

Quote from: Mort on June 23, 2020, 05:21:15 PM

It's happened to me that I've closed a route and been unable to open another re-using that slot at exactly the same time. Not often, but it's certainly possible. Not a big deal when it does, just move that day by enough to get a slot and stick a short turn in.