Gazzz's tutorials : Scheduling

Started by gazzz0x2z, May 14, 2017, 09:07:26 AM

paddk989

So if I want to move a schedule from for example a prop to a jet plane, I can click the move schedule green arrow on the schedules page. Then it only remains to edit the last flights turn time. Would that be correct.

gazzz0x2z

just don't forget to keep starting times. That's one of the buttons, you can either focus on the standard turnaround time(as defined in the settings), or on the existing starting time for the away leg. I'm always using the second option, as it gives more flexibility to adjust the schedule. It's more work too. You decide.

qunow

Also, when moving schedule, there are routes that originally require stop over but thsoe stop over can be ditched with new plane. I guess the easiest way to process them without losing those slots would be to close the route and keep the slot but then open up same route with same original departure time on both end?

gazzz0x2z

probably. I did never do that, but I will have to in GW2. Though my problem is that most tech stops are during the night. Won't be easy  :-\

qunow

Actually, it was also part of my original problem... After cutting away techstop and increase in speed, the original 45 minutes turnover time could increase to something like 8 hours gap which you would have to make a huge change on the scheduled time to make the aircraft being used effectively and as such have to paid the slot fee again at least for one side.. Guessed that there are no way around it.

jchar810

dagwood

thank you for this great and very detailed post :)

wilian.souza2

Should I let a gap of a turn around time between the end of an A check and a flight? I realized the scheduling system requests you to let a gap of at least the minimum turnaround time between a flight and the start of an A check, but it allows you to "snap" the end of an A check to a flight. Can I do this in scheduling without worrying about delays/cancelations?

gazzz0x2z

Quote from: wilian.souza2 on October 05, 2017, 05:02:37 AM
Should I let a gap of a turn around time between the end of an A check and a flight? I realized the scheduling system requests you to let a gap of at least the minimum turnaround time between a flight and the start of an A check, but it allows you to "snap" the end of an A check to a flight. Can I do this in scheduling without worrying about delays/cancelations?

No, the game does not go up to there. Scheduling is perfect when you can have exactly 5 hours for your ACheck. It's not common to succeed that feat, and usually needs some luck. You need margin between flights, you're right. Not for the ACheck.

ChuckPerry

Was looking at your very good explanation on scheduling.. One question... At the very beginning you said "_you are penalized strongly in terms of Load Factor for taking off or landing between 0000 and 0455. You are penalized lightly, bit still, for taking off or landing between 2300 and 2355 and 0500 and 0555."   Does this apply to cargo flights that carry no passengers as well??  Thx  CHuck

Tha_Ape

No, cargo has no such thing, can take off / land at any time. And if you have plenty of daily flights with pax on a route, it might be better.
That allows easy scheduling.

wilian.souza2

Quote from: gazzz0x2z on May 14, 2017, 09:07:26 AM
The other rules to remember are :
_you are penalized strongly in terms of Load Factor for taking off or landing between 0000 and 0455. You are penalized lightly, bit still, for taking off or landing between 2300 and 2355 and 0500 and 0555.

Are load factors of techstopped routes affected if the techstop is done in between the times mentioned above? There was a time I had lots of techstopped routes and would get asymmetrical load factors for pax on some routes, and other routes would get load factors way below what I expected, and I assume that's because there were techstops in the middle of the night.

gazzz0x2z

To my knowledge, for pax transport, tech stops are penalized for any take off or landing between 0000 & 2355. ;D . The penalty grows with the game years.

But I didn't play enough with this to be sure.

Tha_Ape

And get initial leg 1 take off + tech stop landing + tech stop take off + arrival + leg 2 take off + tech stop landing + tech stop take off + final arrival between 0600 and 2255...
Whoooof!!
I hope you don't fly that route more than once a day :laugh:

Luperco

I don't think that the tech stop time will affect the passenger load factor, only the departure and arrival time matters.

Anyway, as the departure and arrival times are more important on short and medium routes with competition, and  my tech stop routes are all long haul and uncontested, maybe I cannot appreciate the effect of tech stop landing and takeoff times.
Saluti
Emanuele

Marco

Hey Gazzz, thank you for your tutorial! I have a question that hopefully someone can answer for me. When is it possible to schedule flights within less than 30 minutes from each other without getting penalized? I'm flying FLL-LGA which has about 3000 pax/day demand and I'm wondering if I can schedule flights 20 minutes apart... I remember 20 minutes was enough for super super high demand routes but I'm not sure if 3000/day is large enough...

Andre090904

I remember the regional challenge where the route between Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo had about 7000 daily demand. The system only allows a maximum of 40 daily flights per route. A day has 1440 minutes and 40 flights a day meant a flight every 36 minutes (in average). I remember I had flights every 15 minutes during the morning hours and it was no big deal.

Now that was a route with 7000 demand. I am tempted to say that a route with 3000 demand should be good enough to fly it every 30 minutes. But let's see what others have to say.

alexgv1

The rule of thumb as I remember is: if the route has demand greater than 1000 it is acceptable to fly more than once per hour (or at least leave gaps of less than an hour between departures).
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Hotcliff

Quote from: Andre090904 on May 14, 2017, 02:51:00 PM
Simply perfectly explained. That will surely help some people here.

Maybe you should add the little detail that the departure time of your competition is not relevant. I have seen many people "attacking me" on my departure times thinking they will steal passengers like that. But that's not the case...in this regard it may be worth mentioning that the total demand on a route will be equally shared between the number of flights (given the RI, CI, price, seating etc. is similar). Not many people seem to understand this.

This is very interesting!
So I have, in the past been struggling to avoid getting close to any competitor by at least one t/a time!  :'( Sometimes even cancelled flights because I thought it would be bad for me to land or take off close to them..
This will change a lot in the future,
Thanks
/Hotcliff