Route Schedules - How?

Started by alvarez16, July 13, 2016, 12:11:36 AM

alvarez16

Hello,

I'm new to this game and playing in one of the beginner worlds. I am trying to create a route that is around 4900 NM so I'm obviously unable to create a "daily" flight with the same flight number.

But then I checked my competition on the route and it appears that they were able to do so. Can somebody explain to me how? Please see the picture attached..... I tried the same aircraft but it's not even close (the return flight lands like 3 hours after my "departure" time even with a short turnaround).

Thanks!

freshmore

Create route as separate routes, tick the little box below all of the days on the create route page.

Then assign the route to more than one aircraft. Normally trying to mix and match routes to minimize time the aircraft not in the air.

Simple

wapp11

Seven day scheduling looks intimidating, but once you have done it a few times, its relatively simple.
Here is a set of 767s I have in GW2 right now. 

Sami

btw. I see here too that you are not using reg numbers .. the system is pretty much automatic so what's still needed for it to make it even more easier? (= what needs to be done to get you few last guys to start using them too  ;D)

(perhaps make the system ask for the reg # format when it detects that you are ordering a (new) fleet group not yet set up for auto-reg numbers?)

schro

Quote from: Sami on July 15, 2016, 03:12:30 PM
btw. I see here too that you are not using reg numbers .. the system is pretty much automatic so what's still needed for it to make it even more easier? (= what needs to be done to get you few last guys to start using them too  ;D)

(perhaps make the system ask for the reg # format when it detects that you are ordering a (new) fleet group not yet set up for auto-reg numbers?)

So, I used them for the first few years that I played the game. Auto registration was cool. But then it wasn't. From a fleet management perspective, they are a royal PITA for the small regional airlines that I tend to manage. For auto-reging, when you're replacing planes, it creates a huge sorting mess. It makes it so you can't sort by plane age in the scheduling screen (which is what a non-registered plane set will sort as). When doing these long and dreadful fleet replacements, you really HAVE to sort by fleet age and no registration number allows for that within any interface within the game as they're ordered by MSN (aka age).

If registration numbers are forced upon us then I will be blazing into the bug report forum reports about every instance of usability it breaks.... (translation: MSN numbers help make up for the current design choices for filtering and sorting for large fleets).

JumboShrimp

I don't promise to start using them, but a descending order would be useful.  This way, the scheduling screen would have the newly arrived (unscheduled) aircraft on top.

freshmore

Personally the only reason I use the registrations is because I do my nut in looking at the numbers. Otherwise, the number system is a better way of doing things, I just can't stand the numbers.

That being said I really want to be able to assign different registrations to different aircraft models. Like Boeing 707-320B's have different registrations to 320, 420, 320B Adv etc. I would find that most useful for looking at large schedules and working out which aircraft is what type. I've been looking and adjusting my B707 schedules and I would like to look at all my B707's in the scheduling page so I can move routes around. If I had different registrations for a different sub type it would make it a lot easier identifying the model each aircraft is, because then I wouldn't end up assigning a long route to a -420 that can fly it but with virtually no one on board. But I can easily identify the aircraft to move a route that it's better for a -420 to fly as opposed to a -320B. It was a problem I felt even more operating a 250 plus Fairchild Metro fleet spanning each type, you can't assign a 1000nm route to an earlier type and identifying them was a pain.

Defaulting so that you can sort aircraft most recently delivered, or defaulting to show unscheduled at top of the scheduling page, or even low utilisation (say under 6 hours) at the top of page would be very useful. At the moment if you create routes and then click assign to route it will take you to the first page of that aircraft and not the last, which is annoying. This problem is exacerbated by fleet replacements when you changing aircraft in the same fleet group. Meaning aircraft have been assigned a Registration that is somewhere in the middle of all your fleet not at the end.

It would be nice if the system only assigned a registration once, that way even if you remove a aircraft with a particular registration, that registration is never reused automatically by the system. I imagine that is a relatively simple thing to do. It would have also made changing a Metro I fleet to a IIIA fleet or such so much easier.

schro has the point that it needs a bit of updating in the usability stakes to make it workable for larger fleets. Although I find not being able to assign different auto registrations to different sub fleets annoying for any size, particularly when using aircraft with big differences in range between types. B707 and Fairchild Metro being two examples. I think there are a few usability tune ups to be discussed and implemented just to make managing things a bit easier.

Cardinal

Quote from: freshmore on July 15, 2016, 08:17:51 PM
That being said I really want to be able to assign different registrations to different aircraft models. Like Boeing 707-320B's have different registrations to 320, 420, 320B Adv etc. I would find that most useful for looking at large schedules and working out which aircraft is what type.

This this this a thousand times this!!!!!!!! While it's true you can choose to display only a certain subfleet on the scheduling page, when moving a schedule you are presented with every single unscheduled plane of that type, so if you're trying to move a schedule from one DC-9-32 to another, all your unscheduled DC-9-10 are also on the list and it's highly unlikely that you want to move your -32 schedule to a -10. A check box allowing you to only display planes of the same subtype in the move schedule list might help in that regard too. But sorting them by registration (which is how it is currently displayed) makes it easier in its present form, which is why I register my planes manually if I've ordered more than one subtype so they are at least grouped together in the move schedule list.

bdnascar3

For US airlines it is useless as the automatic adds to the last letter..  instead of N101AA it becomes N100AB

wapp11

Like the other guy said, its a pain when you can't automatically have it sort out types.  I started using them this GW, but then couldn't sort out as easily DC-9-10 from a 31, 51 etc.... I do use a few still, as on the 767, I have a few without max MTOW so I gave them a registration to keep them sorted out of the 7 day scheduling area, as they are flying a normal 7 days a week flight.

JumboShrimp

If we could create and name our own schedules, with whatever name we choose (independent of country aircraft naming schemes), then the aircraft registration becomes irrelevant, and can just as well be automatic.

Matt Elphick

It would be good if we could arrange aircraft by nickname instead of registration so we can name specific aircraft specifically and sort by that instead of random unhelpful registration.

schro

Quote from: Matt Elphick on July 18, 2016, 08:04:05 PM
It would be good if we could arrange aircraft by nickname instead of registration so we can name specific aircraft specifically and sort by that instead of random unhelpful registration.

So, I'm trying to think of a nice way to say this, but I'm struggling. Therefore, nope.

Specifically, this is completely unmanageable for folks that run small regional airlines similar in size to the ones that I run. When you are juggling over 1000 planes, getting personal with them through naming is simply not fun, even if you go with your suggestion.

At the end of the day, there needs to be a series of usability improvements for large fleet management. The improvements need to be carefully considered and well tested. Any knee jerk reaction improvements will likely make things worse at this point.