Portable devices "Web app"

Started by NovemberCharlie, June 17, 2016, 12:33:08 PM

NovemberCharlie

So I recently got an iPad and added a AWS link to the homescreen and I noticed that several of my work related web apps did not show a status bar and such and was wondering why AWS was... So I went for a look and found the following:
For iOS and safari:
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/SafariWebContent/ConfiguringWebApplications/ConfiguringWebApplications.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002051-CH3-SW2

For Android and chrome:
https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/android/installtohomescreen

This seems like a relatively low effort way to get an "App"
Personally I think it would enhance the user experience enough to validate adding these pieces of code...

Cheers,

NC

Johan87

For this game old school probably works the best?
Just a link at the favorites bar at the browser,or is this why this game is slower at processing?

freshmore

For me it wouldn't do anything, mobile on this game is severely limited really. I only use it for a general health check or buying a few aircraft off the used market but beyond that I don't really use it. Therefore an basic app wouldn't add anything, even a well designed and purpose build app I would still come back to the main site to do most things. For me, if I need it on mobile the website does just fine because I don't see how any mobile device is better for anything beyond a health check.

Matt Elphick

The game isn't made for doing all your business on a portable device so i suggest just using it for a quick check. Use a Laptop or PC for the best use.

Sami

The mobile plans for AWS are strictly so that the web-based interface is done to be as mobile compatible as possible (though currently only focus is on tablet-sized devices, not phones). The system has a lot of spreadsheet-style data which require a rather large screen.

A complete own app with 100% custom purposebuilt interface won't be done since it wouldn't offer any real improvements compared to the huge costs involved. Though we've studied a lighweight app in the past that would allow us to be included in the app stores and using their payment gateways (potentially easier for the user) but still using much of the mobile layout accessible via web version. This was an early study and has been then discontinued for now.

NovemberCharlie

That's the point of a web app. It is essentially a website disguised as an app.
It basically removes the address bar and makes the app(=the aws website) truly fullscreen.

For both safari (iOS) and chrome (android) there are guides that are easy to follow on how to do this, see links in first post.
It basically only inserts a piece of code that make AWS compatible to be downloaded as web app.

It won't even show up in an app store or anything

cheers

gazzz0x2z

Quote from: NovemberCharlie on July 15, 2016, 11:24:06 AM
That's the point of a web app. It is essentially a website disguised as an app.
It basically removes the address bar and makes the app(=the aws website) truly fullscreen.

For both safari (iOS) and chrome (android) there are guides that are easy to follow on how to do this, see links in first post.
It basically only inserts a piece of code that make AWS compatible to be downloaded as web app.

cheers

does it easily simulate the "open in a new tab" functions of modern browsers? And allow easy navigation between them? Because I don't imagine myself planning a schedule without it. Even a simple one. As soon as I plan to make 2 different flights on a plane, I need several tabs.

Sami

Quote from: NovemberCharlie on July 15, 2016, 11:24:06 AM

The whole point of our earlier studies were that the lightweight app would be available in the store with full integration to their payment systems, allowing easy access and purchases. (but we're talking of a different thing here anyways)

Wagster

What about an App to acquire planes where you have to go to an Airport in real life and look through the Camera to capture any aircraft you can see?

MPu-

Quote from: Wagster on July 16, 2016, 07:39:40 AM
What about an App to acquire planes where you have to go to an Airport in real life and look through the Camera to capture any aircraft you can see?
AirwaySim GO?  ;D ;D