Which 1st real game world after beginners. Experienced players advice?

Started by mean123, January 16, 2016, 07:59:35 PM

mean123

Hi guys, I just wanted some advice on which real game world I should choose to play after finishing the beginners world. I started beginners world slightly later than it started and I managed to get up to 7th place in terms of airline value with a high ~30% profit margin. I want to make a similar airline and wondered if their was any advice on which world was best. If any experienced players could take a look at the airline and advise me what's best and of any significant changes between beginners and real ones and anything that could help me in a real world before I get going that would be great. My airline is in beginners world 2 and it is called Euro Air. I would really really appreciate the advice guys, aircraft, bases, new things to be aware of that I wouldn't need to be in beginners. Thank you all in advance!

Zombie Slayer

I would go for the new Game World 2 starting Thursday, January 28th. Start fresh instead of trying to compete against large, established airlines.
Don Collins of Ohio III, by the Grace of God of the SamiMetaverse of HatF and MT and of His other Realms and Game Worlds, King, Head of the Elite Alliance, Defender of the OOB, Protector of the Slots

ezzeqiel

I agree with zombieslayer.

I'd add this:

Research the game world before deciding your base.

Watch every possible base. Watch competition,

Take into account which planes were generated in the game world (Aircraft -> Aircraft information) before deciding your fleets.

Take into account airport slots. If it's gonna be a slot hogged airport or not.

Take into account competition and decide which tactic is best for that game world, and which tactic are you comfortable with.

bdnascar3

Also remember that the competition difference will be higher. In other words, don't expect to go into a top ten airport and rule the world. Plan plan plan, and take things slow. Its not the end of the world to BK and start again, but learn from mistakes.

alexgv1

A fresh start is always a good idea, don't be surprised if it takes a few attempts to get it right.

Agree with the point about airports. You can still get quite big at second tier international airports if you find one with only one or two competitors, for example:

Taipei instead of Hong Kong
Toronto instead of New York
Manchester instead of Heathrow
etc

Although be aware of people opening bases there later on.

Good luck!  8)
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

mean123

Thank you very much. All noted. Yes I thought it may be best to stay away from the very large primary airports before I have the experience. I know for after the 90's I went for atr's before renewing to dh8's for up to 500nm. 737 classic to cover Europe before renewing to 737NG and MAX outfits and 767s before renewing to 787s for LH routes. But I really have no clue about the 60s. Is there any advice on which AC is best for sh, mph and LH routes? And whether the aircraft above are good for the 90's onwards?

Cardinal

It might not be such a bad idea to join the current GW#1 right now. It's a mature game that's starting to wind down, the mega airlines have mostly maxed out their bases and are too busy doing fleet renewals to focus on growth. And there are quite a few airports with no airlines based there including:

RDU
JAX
CMH
BDL
MCT

Any of those would be a good place for a beginner. Especially Muscat. There are no airlines headquartered in Oman so you wouldn't have to worry about a gorilla opening a base there. The Arabian Peninsula is a bit crowded otherwise but there is good demand to be had from MCT, and with the 737MAX and A320NEO now available, there are lots of A320CEO and 737NG on the used market, both of which will cover most of Europe, Asia, and Africa from Oman. There are also plenty of E-jets and CRJs available on the UM, for routes to small airports with no hometown airlines and therefore no competition. There are even some fairly young 737-400 available.

Everyone is afraid of joining games - especially long ones - late in the game. It really isn't as hard as everyone thinks it is, and I would argue that it's actually easier because there are fewer players than at the beginning of a new game (only 204 now vs. 700 at start), and fewer still who are dependent on the UM for their entire fleet. At the beginning of a game nobody can afford to order new planes so everyone is clamoring for whatever they can find in the desert. At the end of the game, it's mostly just startups shopping on the UM. The old guard are getting their planes brand new from Seattle and Toulouse.

And starting at the end of a game is a good learning experience because while you do have competition from the other end of the route, you also have plenty of uncontested demand to small airports. Just don't be afraid to put one 737 on a route with 1000+ demand and 1500+ supply. You won't fill up your 737 but you will get butts in the seats. And with the game nearing the winding-down stage, a lot of airlines are in "maintenance mode" right now - just logging in to swap out planes for D-checks or to park a 25-year-old clunker after their shiny new MAX arrives.

One more good reason to join a mature game is that a new long game world is about to open, so everyone's attention will be there in a couple of weeks. When the new GW2 opens there will likely be a further drop in the number of players in GW1, as players with small struggling airlines drop out in favor of restarting in 1960. Even better for startups in the mature game.

As to the other two long worlds, GW4 is just in 1998, it's about to hit the 2001 downturn so I wouldn't recommend starting there right now. Maybe towards the end of February after some of the bigger players go bankrupt and global demand recovers. And GW3 has less than a month to go, that would be a waste of credits to join the game now. At ~4 months, GW1 is in my opinion the best place to get your feet wet. Go for it!

Mr Yoda

Or if you don't want to start in 60s then wait until March and join the fresh GW 3 starting in 90s.

Sami

Not really a problem to start in any of the three main game worlds either. Just use the 'easy start' option and it will search for the best possible bases and routes.