Scrapped

Started by tdf42, December 11, 2015, 10:08:55 PM

tdf42

I have asked this b4 but under different circumstances. I have 12-14 year old 737 Classics that I dont need anymore. I have sold or leased all I can but the rest seem unwanted. Take the loss on scrapping now on still expensive airplanes or wait until they get older and scrap? (its a potential 200 million dollar taxable loss)

mikebravo

Very good question. Have you tried to sell them or lease them out on a huge discount?

schro

They will continue to depreciate and their scrap value will continue to decline...

tdf42

I sell them at rock bottom..I just want them off the books

tdf42

Quote from: mikebravo on December 11, 2015, 10:20:38 PM
Very good question. Have you tried to sell them or lease them out on a huge discount?
I sell them at rock bottom prices..just want them off the books

Cardinal

Depending on your tax rate, that $200M tax writeoff could mean you won't pay taxes for a while and/or get a refund in January. And you'll still get some cash for them. Obviously the positive cash flow would be better if you could sell them (and still take a loss for tax purposes) but if even the AI brokers don't want them, send them to the shredder.

EDIT: since planes for sale have to be maintained, don't pay for C/D checks (especially D-checks). Scrap them before their maintenance expires.

tdf42

Quote from: tvdan1043 on December 12, 2015, 02:30:49 AM
Depending on your tax rate, that $200M tax writeoff could mean you won't pay taxes for a while and/or get a refund in January. And you'll still get some cash for them. Obviously the positive cash flow would be better if you could sell them (and still take a loss for tax purposes) but if even the AI brokers don't want them, send them to the shredder.

EDIT: since planes for sale have to be maintained, don't pay for C/D checks (especially D-checks). Scrap them before their maintenance expires.
Thanks

tise1983

that is a no brainer..scrap them...they continue to depreciate and you will continue to pay maintenance...I would reduce them to very cheap and then scrap before next C check.  You get a tax credit....A Tax credit!  Just like real life, you know when you scrap your cars or old TV's and get a tax credit? oh wait...I forgot the govt. only gives that to companies...God Bless the US congress and their infinite wisdom in protecting and advancing the causes of the United states of America, the constitution, and the general welfare of all human beings...IS what I would say if they were all not slime balls, selfish, overpaid, idiotic, stupid, old waterbags.   Hope they pass that First responder bill....OR may we all decide to get rid of representative democracy and go to direct democracy and vote with our cell phones....Scrap those A/C for a tax credit...no brainer

11Air

Put most of them into Store, always keep 3 or 4 available to lease/sell.