Competitor with bases in different countries?

Started by Andre090904, November 24, 2015, 10:37:31 PM

Andre090904

Hi folks,

I have a competitor based in Belgrade (Yugoslavia) who also has a base in Zagreb und Ljubljana. These 2 bases were part of Yugoslavia, but are now other countries (Croatia and Slovenia). How come his 2 bases were not closed? As far as I know, airlines are forced to close their bases when such political changes occur (as says the manual).

I'd appreciate more info on that.

Best,
André

Solemus

All the countries you have mentioned, as far as I know, are part of the EU and as such you can open a new airport in any country within the EU as long as your home base is already in the EU, so you could have a base in Glasgow as well as in Rome or Paris  :) :)

Andre090904

Croatia joined the EU in 2013 and we play in 1991 in GW4. Belgrade (his HQ) is in Serbia and Serbia is not a member state of the EU.

So that cannot be the explication I'd say.

Solemus

Okay Andre I thought that would be the most obvious answer  :) :)

Andre090904

Wagster

In GW4 "q airways" opened bases in the 80's in all major cities of Yugoslavia, then kept them all after the split into independent countries.

I heard about someone having trouble keeping his bases in Ukraine if his HQ was in Russia after independence, so Yugoslavia must be a special case.

Andre090904

Hmm, either a bug or some exception to the rule. Would still be nice to hear a word of Sami about it. I opened a base in Zagreb based on the belief I'd have it for my own as the based airline there would be forced to leave it. Well, guess I was wrong.  :(

Sami

Could be an error in the system (there are no exceptions).

Andre090904

Thanks for your answer! Highly appreciated indeed! Is there a chance that you will review this issue?

Solemus

I am based in Bulgaria in GW4, I thought that was part of the EU? I have tried to open a new airport but only allowed to do so in Bulgaria. Can someone answer this for me as well please?

Thankyou

Andre090904

Bulgaria didnt join the EU until 2007.

Andre090904

Quote from: Andre090904 on November 25, 2015, 09:15:29 PM
Thanks for your answer! Highly appreciated indeed! Is there a chance that you will review this issue?

Any update on this? :)

Best,
André