Medium Plane Long Misson

Started by tdf42, November 08, 2015, 07:19:43 PM

tdf42

100-130 seat planes with 2000+ mi range..what are their best missions?

freshmore

Go for shorter routes first.

Otherwise 2000+ route and another much shorter route so getting 2x sectors a day. Sending it overnight is another possible option but I tend not to do that too much. Then accept that they aren't going to be the most profitable margins on those kind of routes and should never be the bread and butter routes of your airline.

schro

Quote from: tdf42 on November 08, 2015, 07:19:43 PM
100-130 seat planes with 2000+ mi range..what are their best missions?

Generally parking them will be more profitable than flying them that far.....

gazzz0x2z

Quote from: schro on November 08, 2015, 08:55:07 PM

Wrong.

I'm doing plenty of money with some of them. Transatlantic lines with 120 demand & 737-700 are usually very productive. I also have some funny E190 flights from Nice to Western-central Africa(Nice-Nnamdi is an excellent money-maker, 2080NM, 90 demand) that are making quite nice money.

That being said, there are 2 big drawbacks :
(1) it loses a lot of money for the first months. So it shall NEVER be an initial strategy. It's an excellent compliment, but the investment is much more than the price of the aircraft & the slots, unlike shorter routes.
(2) it's prone to bad events. A bigger plane goes on the line, and takes all the demand. Or the demand increases, and the "too small penalty" kicks in.

And, of course, you'd better micromanage your prices. If not, you'll barely break even. With proper prices, you can really make a lot of money there. Be sure to take time to babysit your lines.

TD;LR : only for experts; and only when all other possibilities are exhausted.

schro

Quote from: gazzz0x2z on November 09, 2015, 08:48:51 AM
Wrong.
<snip>

I'm entertained. You state that I was wrong, and then you wrote a number of points supporting my position, which was a "generally..." catch all sort of statement.

Yes, you can make money with them, but if you're asking the question, then you're likely not an expert, thus, the generally you might as well park them applies...

Mr Yoda

Quote from: schro on November 08, 2015, 08:55:07 PM

^Disagree

If SH is too saturated by others and there is a load bunch of unserved or underserved 2000nm+ segments with 100-150 pax demand, then it's a good idea to cover them up and creating a niche in a specific market. If there's no competition then you could also charge premium vs competitive markets.

If you're a scheduling master, you have 7 planes available and there is loads of 2000nm+ flights available then you could create a 7 day schedule, which is very efficient if you know how to do it and potentially a gold digga' for your airline.

alexgv1

These routes are fine when the fuel prices are $500. When it's $1500....  :-[ :-[ :-[
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)