Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Ticket price raise gives increase in pax numbers  (Read 651 times)

Offline Andre

• Members
[-] Ticket price raise gives increase in pax numbers
« on: September 18, 2015, 03:49:35 AM »
Game World #4

Blue Jet America

https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Info/Airline/View/668/174/#AirlineInfo

I've noticed something strange. Whenever I increase the ticket price by 5% or so, the pax numbers actually increase. If you look at my pax graph at week 28/1982, that's the week after I raised my prices 5%. What I did was reset prices, then raise by 5%. What's going on? It's done the same thing several times before. I'm not complaining about more pax, but it seems to have the opposite effect of intended? Not that a 5% increase in prices should make pax drop a lot, but an increase is weird.

The week before I raised prices I had 203,000 pax, the week after 230,000 pax. That's more than 10% increase.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:55:24 PM by sami »

Offline Zombie Slayer

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
Re: Ticket price raise gives increase in pax numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 04:36:31 AM »
Move along, nothing to see here  ;D ;)
Co-founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
PacAir President and CEO
Designated "Tier 1" Opponent

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »
Are you sure some competition did not drop off or some other external event affecting the demand?  (this is rather hard to recreate but will check later)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 01:54:49 PM »
Database backup, game date 13-Apr-1982 (week 15). Current game date 15-Aug-1982 (week 32).

#1: I've compared a few routes and the increase in sales on those routes were because one competitor has dropped out (EWR-SEA for example). And on other routes with no competition change I am seeing only minimal market share changes (was 25.29% and is now 25.47%) so that's not something that could be considered - but overall there's a small increase in market share's and LF over most routes (by a quick look).

#2: For airports, I see a large change in market share in ATL and a very minor change in EWR (not relevant):

Bases, current:
EWR - 4 airlines, market share 20.92%
ATL - 5 airlines, market share 6.18%

Bases, old:
EWR - 4 airlines, market share 20.62%
ATL - 5 airlines, market share 4.41%

Since ATL is so crowded it's hard to see who is the market share loser between these two points, since all airlines have minor changes.

#3: Testing a route ATL-HNL, there have been no changes in schedules or demand. Your current LF (two routes) is 86.9% + 89.9% vs at the backup 80.9% + 81.1% so it has increased and prices have been increased too. Looking at route planning, Amanville has lost market share significantly while you and Volppe have gained it (both +4%).

Static test on route BU417 to see if the pricing has "negative" effect. Old price in Y/C were 333 / 758 and now you have 354 / 801.

First with old pricing ($333..) and all random noise off, you should sell (on a Tuesday): 114/14/1 seats.
Making a price reset and adding +5% gives prices 345 / 782 (since the game date hasn't changed it's lower what you have now, but did the same change you did) and the sales for the same day are: 106/13/1.

==> So increasing the prices does not increase your sales if everything else remains static and unchanged.

The reason is somewhere else, which I can't pinpoint directly due to the vast number of routes and variables from other players, but it's due to competitor's actions I'd suspect.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:00:39 PM by sami »

Offline Mysil

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 02:05:06 PM »
Move along, nothing to see here  ;D ;)

So this is Elites secret? :)

I think you are wrong, Sami. I just did this (reset all prices, and increase by 5%) in all 3 GWs I'm in, and my LF and ticket sales rose in all 3.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:09:46 PM by Mysil »

Offline Andre

• Members
Re: [-] Ticket price raise gives increase in pax numbers
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »
Thanks for looking into it Sami, but I've noticed this in the past as well. I haven't sent a bug report until this time, because I couldn't confirm it. And when it happened again this time, I figured it was time to let you know.

It's interesting that Mysil also has experienced the same thing.

Offline Zombie Slayer

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 06:20:45 PM »
So this is Elites secret? :)

I think you are wrong, Sami. I just did this (reset all prices, and increase by 5%) in all 3 GWs I'm in, and my LF and ticket sales rose in all 3.

Actually I never saw any indication that this happened in the past. I tried it after it was posted and did see some passenger gains, but I also moved planes around and up gauged others so I cant confirm it was entirely/at all due to the price reset. I was really more going for humor than anything else.
Co-founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
PacAir President and CEO
Designated "Tier 1" Opponent

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.