AirwaySim has a new look!

Started by Sami, March 09, 2015, 07:18:32 PM

Sami

Welcome to the new look of AirwaySim!

Our front page has been fully updated and boasts a new visual look and functionality. This is the first step of visual and usability updates that will also follow elsewhere on the site and game later on. The front page is now fully usable on all mobile devices too (separate optimized layouts), and implements new and updated techniques to deliver the page even faster. The updates at the rest of the site will not be visually as big as this front page update, but will focus more on the usability of the system with mobile devices.

During this evening we have made some configuration changes to our systems and services. These changes mean that you will need to login to our site again.

Say also hello to our new Crew!

pndsc

I'm sorry Sami, but I really dont like the new frontpage. Its a style beloved of terrible pump and dump tablet games and it sets my teeth on edge to associate that art style with AWS.

Is there any chance of an option to set the frontpage image according to cookies set on a users machine? If so, I'd really like the option for the classic screen/anything with more gravitas.

kcm31

Quote from: pndsc on March 09, 2015, 07:51:03 PM
I'm sorry Sami, but I really dont like the new frontpage. Its a style beloved of terrible pump and dump tablet games and it sets my teeth on edge to associate that art style with AWS.

Is there any chance of an option to set the frontpage image according to cookies set on a users machine? If so, I'd really like the option for the classic screen/anything with more gravitas.

I agree that it may not be for everyone, but I for one quite like it, well done Sami.

Sami

It's intentionally a bit less "clinical" look than what we've had before. All previous designs have been based on common stock images (or similar) and they haven't been unique or custom-made either, while this one is purely for us. (I have actually seen the B767 image that was our front page lead image some 3-5 yrs ago for example in the wall of an Dubai-based travel agency .. was mildly surprised) :P

This new front page illustration was just a small offshoot of the main task of our graphics designer, who has focused mainly on doing the work on the new cabin features, previewed a bit earlier (these have been all together by the way by far our biggest outside investment so far), and this airport image will be used (and have been used already) in AWS's marketing for example. There won't be any separate front page "themes" to choose from, since it's only the sort of landing page before you step into the game pages.

From my technical point of view the update's main goal was the background(data) update of the page allowing the new responsive design to be implemented (check the page on your cellphone!). While the actual content pages employ this responsive design too to some extent, they are not very good yet and I will work on those later on. Like posted elsewhere too there are no major visual changes expected to the game layout itself, the aim will be to improve the layout generally to be more phone and tablet friendly.

(to sum it up in one line: all change is always bad; it takes a while to get used to it  ;D   ...but one shouldn't worry about the game interface going too much into this style.)

JonesyUK

I realise there's probably a lot of hard work gone into it, but if I came onto the site for the first time I'd probably disregard it as a kids game... the images (the crew in particular) feel childish.

Sorry.

schro

Is it me or does it look like the blue and the orange plane have clipped each other's wing on the front page?

Paging the NTSB....

I'm not a fan of the new style myself and agree that it does not give an initial impression of the type of game that one is about to play when they show up at the site.

Kadachiman

I have to agree......if I was not already a player of this great sim, I would very likely give it a miss and dismiss it as a kids game if I goggled searched and came up with that Front page on my first contact.

Looks like Sami has hired the same guy that designed the Airline game on Farcebook

I have actually seen the B767 image that was our front page lead image some 3-5 yrs ago for example in the wall of an Dubai-based travel agency .. was mildly surprised
At least this is unlike to ever happen again with the new Front Page

Frederik

Looks also amazingly like Airline Tycoon!

I too would have preferred a design that suggests a "simulation" rather than a "game". a shame that this was "the biggest outside investment so far" I would have preferred more professional airport and/or aircraft databases as well as real traffic updates..... not to mention inclusion of cargo/mail

anything that focuses AirwaySim into a business simulation tool I welcome - most of the recent updates that make it more into a game I regret.

Swiss quality all over the world

Sami

Quote from: Frederik on March 10, 2015, 06:10:33 PM
a shame that this was "the biggest outside investment so far"

Please read again what I posted. (= no, THIS wasn't). The front page was just a quick work he _also_ did among other things. THIS is what he's working mainly on: https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,57749.0.html (= graphics related to cabin configuration, inflight service and entertainment etc.)

Quote from: Frederik on March 10, 2015, 06:10:33 PM
I would have preferred more professional airport and/or aircraft databases as well as real traffic updates

Didn't really understand this comment at all. For example, what is unrealistic about the aircraft databases that needs so dire improvement? Nothing that I am aware of. (in case of error in data found => bug report please)

But I do see the point what y'all are making, and while I like this design quite much, I'll see if the content of the header image can be updated a bit (by replacing the crew with planes or other airport stuff for example). The designer is a talented guy, and have to see if he has thoughts based on the feedback.

But I suppose nobody has tried the front page with a cellphone or tablet, since I don't hear any praises on how well it works now compared to the old one..?  :P  (actually asked for comments before the release too at the general forum)

edit/typo + added stuff

Kadachiman

This is one of the many things that I like about this SIM
Players do have direct contact with the Admin / Owner which is very unusual, as many sims are owned by multi-national gaming companies with players having very little ability to have input into game improvements, etc

we74

I don't like the new front page. Too much kid looking page. Please review and do a remake of the front page. This game is awesome and deserves a good look.

/ Anders W.

[ATA] Sunbao

It really looks like yet another facebook game there will try to rip off people. looks like something made for kids that for sure.

pablanco

I agree. While the overall revamp looks great (as do the first images of the new features), the choice of this cabin crew is very questionable.
Plus, it doesn't match with the real in-game experience.

11Air

Sorry Sami, another Uuugh from me.  Too like the baby game of a similar name.
I do fly virtually and I'm sure a nice view across an airport apron, aircraft, jetways, tugs and buses and the odd tanker would be a much more attractive bet for the people you do want here.

The Game remains outstanding with little to really complain about,  but I do cringe every time that holly-disnae pic comes up.

CarlBagot

I agree with the grievances on the style but have to say the is MUCH better for mobile, just need to eliminate the kiddishness and it would be perfect! For mobile though as soon as you get past this page its back to normal for now  :'(

thedr2

Hi Sami, I've been here on-and-off for nearly eight years now and have generally been a fan of everything you have done, but the new front page just feels totally wrong. It doesn't suit AWS or the people who play it - as others have pointed out, it looks like one of those tap-tap "pay $1.99 to upgrade ur plane!!!" free facebook games. I genuinely feel embarrassed opening it up in front of other people.

I really like the other work that your new graphic designer has done so I don't doubt his talents, but you need to direct him back towards the stuff that playing AWS is actually about - aircraft, airports, route networks, competition etc. Pilots and cabin crew are such an infinitesimally small part of the game it seems absurd to use that image instead of other more interesting and more relevant parts of running a virtual airline.

Sami

Quote from: sami on March 10, 2015, 06:16:48 PM
But I do see the point what y'all are making, and while I like this design quite much, I'll see if the content of the header image can be updated a bit (by replacing the crew with planes or other airport stuff for example). The designer is a talented guy, and have to see if he has thoughts based on the feedback.

What does the grand jury say of the next (uncoloured) draft .. (only a narrow (mobile) view here)

Maartenderidder92

SuriProf4

the newest one (colour-less concept) is much better than the new 'live' one

schro

I like it better than the crew one. I think the jury is out depending on how it is colored as well. To me, this design could go sideways if the cartoony/animated style coloring is applied, but if it is more "realistic" colors, it'll probably look good. Though, I won't know til I see it...