Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Dynamic Landing and Handling Fees getting a bit expensive  (Read 312 times)

Offline schro

• Members
This pertains to GW3 with regards to the escalation of passenger, handling and landing fees at LHR. I haven't looked deeply into other airports, but I did check ATL as a general comparison as it is a fairly large airport within the game. In general, it seems that the index/variability scale used for determining the fees (and making them dynamic) is getting a bit too greedy from a game balance perspective. Sure, at this point, I can afford them and still have a few hundred billion in the bank at the end of the game, but it is more or less a show stopper for a new entrant. I suspect that the game running into an unflown frontier of the future has allowed the changes to compound to this point. This seems to be impacting narrowbodies more than widebodies at this point.

Good GW3 Example Route: LHR-ZRH. Flown with an MD-90-30, 8-135 seating config, pricing set to about 20% above standard and loads in the ~90% range (more or less full). This brings in route revenue of ~42-44k and has landing/handling/pax fees of ~13k, or about 30% of revenue.  If i had pricing at the default price, that'd jump to nearly 40% of revenue. Overall, this more or less makes it impossible to turn a profit on a narrowbody flight out of LHR at this stage in the game, especially if the plane is leased.

Looking at the same route in GW4, if I had pricing set to the same level, then I'd still be seeing route fees of ~25% of revenue, which is a bit higher than is reasonable, but somewhat palatable. I don't have insight into the newer game worlds to see how it progresses...

Regardless, I think the runaway train should be slowed down a bit as 30-40% of revenue is simply not a good model for route fees for narrowbodies...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:05:16 AM by sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Dynamic Landing and Handling Fees getting a bit expensive
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »
There is a clear defined max (and min) limit for these costs per airport. (compared to the "normal" level)

Don't have the numbers here, but they cannot grow indefinitely.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 04:27:21 PM »
There is a clear defined max (and min) limit for these costs per airport. (compared to the "normal" level)

Don't have the numbers here, but they cannot grow indefinitely.

I'm sure there's a limit function that is working, but it is working in a vacuum compared to the potential for revenue growth. I'm sure that LHR is at its "max" rate in both GW3 and GW4, it's just the "max" has outpaced the ability to increase ticket prices over the course of the game. So, my issue is more of a common sense/game balance issue than it is a technical "bug".

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 08:58:31 AM »
Please allow me to respectfully disagree, Schro. With its heavy slot limitation, Heathrow is protected from opposition. Any line to Heathrow seems like cheating. In GW3 my Glasgow-Pestwick /// London Heathrow 737 line is already a big cheat as it is. I'm charging an insane price because there is no opposition. There is no opposition because there is no free slot.

IMHO, prices there are still too cheap. I'm jumping on Heathrow slots as soon as some are available because they are a free pass to easy money. Opposition is a joke there. If there was slot availability there(even as scarce as CDG or AMS), I'd be under attack on this line. I am not. I'm even making a lot of money with A148(from Cardiff especially, Münster is a good cash cow too)

I even think there should be no "Hard" limit to landing prices. If companies begin to lose money on flights at the airport, they ought close lines. And handling prices would be decreasing then. For now, I still consider London Heathrow as a big cheat. It's easy to attack my 3 lines to Atlanta. It's nigh-on impossible to attack my lines in Heathrow. Safety comes with a price I'm happy to pay.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:13 AM »
There are currently 3 airports at the maximum cost level (2x) at this game, LHR, MUC and FRA. Several others at the near-max (1.85x to 1.95x) like LGW, SYD, ARN, IST and even CTA (Catania), plus a few more. The example route; LHR-ZRH; is nearly full on every day, so the prices could be easily increased for another 10% or so (or even more). The default price level is irrelevant... So I really do not see this situation alarming or buggy.

But I would perhaps add lowered airport fees to the proposed list of newbie helpers (http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,38388.msg333660.html#msg333660) since that what happens in real life too.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.