Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [ok] Poor clock timekeeping if page is left open in background  (Read 416 times)

Offline pndsc

• Members
[ok] Poor clock timekeeping if page is left open in background
« on: December 07, 2014, 05:19:08 PM »
Something I've recently noticed is that if I leave an AWS tab open in the background of Chrome, over a relatively small period of time the in-game clock will lose an incredible amount of time.

On refreshing the page, the time is updated to the accurate game time which is often many hours later than the pre-refresh game clock would indicate.

Is this a known issue?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:47:18 PM by sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

The person who likes this post:
Re: Poor clock timekeeping if page is left open in background.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »
If you leave the page open for >30-60 mins without doing anything, it will be most likely somewhat wrong. Since the clock is calculated at the user's end (based on current time and info from the server on when the day will next change) and there will be always small differences - and there is only a certain amount of calls the system makes back to the server to check on the clock (since if you are not on the page for hours, then it's pointless to reload it after a certain period of time really).

However there was a bug (fixed today) that had caused the background processing times to get longer than usual over time (making the days longer than intended) and this may have affected this too.

Quickly tested in GW2 with Chrome and Firefox and they both run exactly 'on time' at this moment (apart from the small jump during 23.59->00.00 which is normal since the day change cannot be timed down to last second on every occasion), tested over 35 minutes (~1.5 days).

Offline schro

• Members
Re: [ok] Poor clock timekeeping if page is left open in background
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 10:07:22 PM »
Will this improve the general poor time keeping that I have previously reported that got slapped with a trout after the evidence supported clock drift?

https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,56835.0.html

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.