Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Do Passengers connect?  (Read 1166 times)

PDXDave

• Former member

The person who likes this post:
Do Passengers connect?
« on: June 28, 2014, 04:26:33 AM »
Can't seem to find a straight answer on any of the board posts. Do passengers get connections on flights in the hubs/base cities?

Steve

• Former member
Re: Do Passengers connect?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 04:42:30 AM »
no

PDXDave

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 04:07:50 PM »
Well that makes this game very hard. Because there is not enough passenger demand to connect all cities together. Hence the reason for Hub and spoke.

Adam42185

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 04:10:48 AM »
It would be great if you could offer connecting tickets at a percentage of the combined costs of the requisite flights.  I.e. Flying from Boston to Chicago, with bases in Boston and Chicago, OR one base in CLE, perhaps the non stop BOS-ORD is 200.  Now let's say BOS-CLE is 170 and CLE-ORD is 130, you could offer a connecting option of Boston to ORD via CLE for, say, 40% of the combined fare.  (300 * .4 = 120) so you could put an option to fill seats that otherwise wouldn't be filled with pax willing to connect for a significant reduction in fare.  Not sure how the coding would work, or how to put in the demand differences for non-stop over connecting (obviously non stop is preferred), but it is a cool idea.  You could have a slider that determines the prices of connecting pax, say from 25% to 75% of the combined fare.  The other aspect is that you would have to have connections that are possible (min 1 hour or so between inbound and outbound flights).  It would definitely be a tricky thing to add do the game but would make e game very interesting!

Adam42185

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:05:47 PM »
You could also incorporate this into alliances - I.e. Feeding an international hub for one airline with domestic feed from another, and splitting the fare of the connecting passengers between the two carriers based on the distances of the two flights or something, and the total price of such connections being more like 75% of the total fare.  Just ideas.  It would make alliances and "code sharing" a much more real feeling aspect to the game.

zimmah

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 05:44:42 AM »
Yes, ultimately a feature like this would be really nice to have.

They do it in real life, would be nice if we could do it here.

Some airlines even specialize in connecting flights, and obviously for those airlines it's very important their flights are not delayed.

lunchbox

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 01:01:13 AM »
This is a feature that is being worked on extensively along side City Based Demand, which will make base cities/airports so much more dynamic. 8)

Offline ekaneti

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »
People who want connecting passengers have no clue how complicated and time consuming the game would become. You'd then need a revenue management system. The game would become a full time job.

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 04:13:03 PM »
People who want connecting passengers have no clue how complicated and time consuming the game would become. You'd then need a revenue management system. The game would become a full time job.

I don't think so... but it's a bit difficult to simulate it correctly... so far I think it can be done, but I've to test the system I've developed to say if it generates correct data... but, that's not for AWS... just a proof of concept for me  ;)

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 04:17:02 PM »
I don't think so... but it's a bit difficult to simulate it correctly... so far I think it can be done, but I've to test the system I've developed to say if it generates correct data... but, that's not for AWS... just a proof of concept for me  ;)

From a game play perspective, if you leave the current price management alone, you will go from some number of routes to price, to that number squared, plus inventory considerations. That's before figuring out how the back end will work.... The player's experience will get hosed if not well designed up front.

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 04:23:01 PM »
@schro: I know... but... I'm confident, that I found a good solution for all those problems

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.