Game World #2 Competition

Started by Sami, June 24, 2014, 09:09:53 PM

Sami

We're happy to announce a new activity to our game worlds, occasional competitions and "mini games" inside the existing long game scenarios. These activities are held from time to time and each competition round has certain goals to achieve and certain prizes for the winners.

The first one is the "People Mover" competition in the Game World #2. The competition starts immediately and runs until the end of the GW#2 scenario. The airlines transporting the most passengers during this period are the winners.

This competition has two classes:

* Existing airlines, founded before game date 05-Jun-2012 (equals 24th Jun 2014 21.00 UTC).
   * New airlines, founded on / after game date 05-Jun-2012.

Winner of each competition class will receive 50 free AirwaySim Credits. The runner up for each class will receive 25 free Credits.

So please note that joining the Game World #2 now (or later) will enter you to the competition too but you will still have an excellent chance to win since you will only compete against other newly established airlines in the "new airlines" class.

Please view the rules and details of the competition, as well as the leaderboards from the link below.

https://www.airwaysim.com/Competition
https://www.airwaysim.com/game/?gView=129#game129

LemonButt

You realize the existing airline competition is already won by the top two airlines, right?  The only two airlines that could even come close to threatening the top 2 are both slot restricted at their HQ and can't open a new base.  Sorry to sound cynical, but this is very underwhelming and isn't a competition at all...

Sami

No since: a) they first of all must finish the game world, and b) their existing/previous passenger stats do not mean anything - the competition starts now and everyone starts at zero passengers (hence the own 'leaderboards' page, since you couldn't track this using the normal game interface's data). If you look at "pax previous year" stats ( https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Info/Stats/PaxPrevYear/ ) it's ANYTHING else than a decided game already.

And further, this is the first of such "mini competitions", and feedback and ideas for further such things are always welcome. And I do realize this competition is mainly for the big carriers flying the big birds (in the 'existing' class at least), but it's something for them too once in a while since the vast majority of updates and changes have been towards the small carriers lately.

And the competition is also used to demonstrate that one shouldn't be too worried in joining an existing game world; there are a lot of opportunities out there - that's the 'new airlines' class then.

LemonButt

Quote from: sami on June 24, 2014, 09:21:13 PM
If you look at "pax previous year" stats ( https://www.airwaysim.com/game/Info/Stats/PaxPrevYear/ ) it's ANYTHING else than a decided game already.

Looking at previous year stats is the reason I'm saying this goose is already cooked.  The #1 airline is transporting 160 million/year and #10 is at 100 million/year.  Only one, maybe two even have room to grow (reasonable number of slots left at HQ).  After that it goes down to 60 million/year for #20 and most of those are going to be mature airlines with no room to grow.  So unless someone triples pax carried the show is over.  Also, first place has 104 A380 and 144 B747 on order, so dethroning him/her is a lost cause IMO.  I hope you're wrong, but unless there is back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back volcanoes (and more) I don't see the results changing.

JumboShrimp

Is this game going to get the new basing rules that are already in place in GW3?  That would make it easier for starting airlines to start at a quiet airport and have a chance to expand to a bigger airport?

Sami

The plan is to include the base rules to GW1+4 (one by one) but not to #2 since it has only ~2 months to go (and there's always a potential that the change will create additional issues, and will anyway take some time before I can verify that the transition works .. so wouldn't make sense for the remaining 1 month or so anymore).

Hillians

Quote from: LemonButt on June 24, 2014, 09:53:53 PM
Looking at previous year stats is the reason I'm saying this goose is already cooked.  The #1 airline is transporting 160 million/year and #10 is at 100 million/year.  Only one, maybe two even have room to grow (reasonable number of slots left at HQ).  After that it goes down to 60 million/year for #20 and most of those are going to be mature airlines with no room to grow.  So unless someone triples pax carried the show is over.  Also, first place has 104 A380 and 144 B747 on order, so dethroning him/her is a lost cause IMO.  I hope you're wrong, but unless there is back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back volcanoes (and more) I don't see the results changing.

I must say I agree with Lemonbutt on this one... no chance to overhaul some of the top players.. not that I'm too bothered about it..

Personally I think there should have been 2 types of competitions:

For new airlines use the current competition with pax.
For existing airlines, use the profit margin % as a benchmark... track their revenue and profits from now onwards and whoever gets the highest profit % at the end of the gameworld should be the winner..

Zombie Slayer

I Like that idea Frimp. I am maxed out (slot locked) at FCO and at 100 frames at AMS, MXP, and LIN....there is some room for growth with equipment upgrades, but I would need to gain 50m pax a year to even have a chance and I am at 91m a year....I am #12, or top 10%, in pax carried and I literally have precisely 0 chance of competing. Profit margin would be a better benchmark for a competition among established airlines.
Don Collins of Ohio III, by the Grace of God of the SamiMetaverse of HatF and MT and of His other Realms and Game Worlds, King, Head of the Elite Alliance, Defender of the OOB, Protector of the Slots

Mr.HP

Quote from: [ATA] frimp on June 25, 2014, 07:22:24 PM
For existing airlines, use the profit margin % as a benchmark... track their revenue and profits from now onwards and whoever gets the highest

Right. I can just dump all of my routes, and live by my leasing profit. Margin should be 90%?  :laugh:

Curse

There should be no static goal. I'm aware it needs time, but there must be a manual check of the gameworld and look if a specific goal can be achieved by just a few people.

Or the overall goal is announced before (!) the gameworld is announced so people can chose strategies accordingly, with special goals that are active for a limited time (12 month, 24 month, 5 years, 10 years) during the gameworld.

Mr.HP

Competition should be using a rating method similar to the Alliance variable score, which means airlines with highest total score of the following criteria, win:
- The end year's pax
- Total route sales revenue (count lease out revenue, if needed)
- ASK
- RPK
- # of weekly flights
- # of airport served (without seat blocking)
- # of route pairs
- Profit margin
- Number of staff employ at 100% require mark (the less, the better)
- Total number of A/C (the less the better)
- Average fleet age
- LF
- Punctuality (of the last 365 days)
- Fleet utilization
- Fuel burn (the less the better)

Mega airlines have advantages in black, and small airlines in blue one

With this, everyone has a chance to win