never ever scrap aircraft when it has not been offered at low price

Started by meiru, February 20, 2014, 02:16:18 PM

meiru

currently aircrafts get offered on the UM for several times and then they are scrapped... but, the last offer sometimes is higher than the low value of the "normal price range" and I think that's not good... the aircraft should always first be offered for a price LOWER than the recommended price range before it can be scrapped

I would add this as a restriction!

LemonButt

Actually, it would be a really cool feature if players could view the "scrap" market.  The reason I say this is Allegiant in the US has built their business model around buying 20 year old MD-80s for as low as $4 million and offering ultra low prices.

If aircraft get scrapped, other airlines should be able to buy the scrapped aircraft in a first come-first served get as many as you'd like format.  Then all those beat up A320s etc. that get scrapped would remain available.  I scrapped probably 100 BAC 1-11 and 100 NAMC YS11 in GW2 and if a player were starting a new airline mid-game they could scale up quickly using scrapped metal (15-20yrs old for the most part).  This is how most players scale up in the beginning anyways, so it would be a great/easy way to add another layer of gameplay to the game and would better reflect the real world as places like Africa and the Amazon will fly the 30+ year old aircraft.  Heck, in Nepal they just crashed a 40 year old Twin Otter: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/17/world/asia/nepal-plane-crash/

meiru

I like the idea... that's my business model too. I try to buy old MD-80s, but when they get scrapped after beeing offered on the UM for almost the price you had to pay for a new one, that's simply ridiculous.

And combined with the other feature (calculate the maintenance price not according to the age alone, but also by using the cycles and flight hours in the formula) would make it even more interesting to use old aircrafts. And solve also a little bit the problem of blocked production lines...

JJP

This is an very nice suggestion and excellent idea.

The title of the thread is a bit confusing, but I like the idea.

Posller

+1, great idea. Mimicks real world markets well.

Anyone/airline would sell an aircraft at or above the scrap value if they were going to scrap it anyway. It's basic economics.

bdnascar3

+1 for the scrap market, Especially if MX is changed so as to not penalize 'older' aircraft. If the condition is above 70%, who cares how old the aircraft is? RL pax don't care as long as it 'looks' new.