Competition divided by classes/time

Started by sergiormg, January 20, 2014, 07:42:58 PM

sergiormg

Hello,

First of all, congratulations for the website, is really fun. My suggestion is that a company may be compared in the statistics with companies that has the same "age" or operates the same market. Today, if I start a new airline, I'll be ranked with people that started way before myself and will be very hard to compete. Is the same for a regional airline: it can be succesful, but neve will have the same cash or fleet as a long haul company.

For morale, it will be good to have your company compared with companies that started around the same time and that share the same kind of market.

What do you think?

Best,

Sergio

dasherhalo

Do you mean like a filter - a sort field with options to show "airlines created greater than >5 years", etc?

In the thirty seconds it took me to read and post that, I went from "there's no point really" to "not a bad idea for morale" as you suggested. If it was really, really easy to code, sure. If not though.....

dmoose42

I agree it can be a bit demoralizing to start at the bottom - but I do like watching myself grow through the rankings as my airline is successful.  However, I agree that it would be interesting to see how you are fairing against airlines that started in a similar age cohort as you or being able to just look at airlines in a certain geography, etc.

sergiormg

Thank you guys. That's my point.

My airline (Coastal Airways) is profitable, #66 (beginners world 2), but it's 10 times smaller that the best one. I started late, I'll neve get the same size (I guess).

I'd like to see myself with the airlines that really compete with me, that started at the same time, or that serve the same kind of market (long, medium or short haul routes).

This could be interesting.

Regards from Orlando/FL.

Sergio

LemonButt

Quote from: Sergio Goncalves on January 21, 2014, 02:19:23 PM
I'd like to see myself with the airlines that really compete with me, that started at the same time, or that serve the same kind of market (long, medium or short haul routes).

But you are competing with every airline in the game, not just those who started at the same time as you.  Also, this is a sandbox game so the statistics don't really mean anything other than comparing yourself to other players.  If you start a game world from day 1, you will see that many of the "top" airlines in stats end up going BK once fuel increases because their airline was built on flying abundant gas guzzlers.

I was #3 in marketshare for the longest time at Paris - Orly in DOTM, then fuel went up and one went BK.  Then fuel went up again and the remaining guy BK'd about 8-10 years in.  Now I have one of the "top" airlines in the game where I am #20 in pax transported, #19 in fleet size, #10 in airports served, #7 in weekly flights, and #4 in route pairs.  I've been playing this game long enough to know how to be successful and no one ever went BK because they expanded too slowly.  There is a mentoring program, newbie guides, etc. to help beginners be successful and I think the last thing we need is newbies chasing stats because they will be blinded by the light and never have long term success.  Some players have to play this game for a year before they run their first successful airline.

I agree that it may be good for morale, but I think it would just incentivize poor decision-making and lengthen the learning curve for newbies.

lastchancer

Maybe a simple solution would be a filtering option by "Airport", "Country", "World area" or "whole world".

As in real life, airlines compete most at a specific airport or a country.

These information might be useful for ingame press releases and offers new challenges and goals (Yeah, I´m the biggest airline in country xy etc.).

FORSBERC

Why not add a filterable selection? This seems like low hanging fruit. I would personally appreciate something like this. After all, an airline in Peru will certainly NOT be competing with any major international airport like LHR. We all play the game different, bringing different strategies and goals to each game.