Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] London City Airport  (Read 578 times)

Offline LemonButt

• Members
[-] London City Airport
« on: December 01, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
It is restricted to small aircraft and certain fleet types.  The BAe ATP seems to be missing--the Saab 2000, ATR 72, F28, and others require a longer runway than the ATP, yet are allowed to fly into the airport without pax restrictions.

Also, the F100 has an 1800m runway requirement and can fly in restricted to 75pax, but the BAC 1-11 has a 1600m runway requirement and is blocked from flying the route at all and should probably be on the list.

The BAe 146 is listed as allowed without any pax restrictions (1580m runway requirement), but according to wikipedia it couldn't fly there until 1992 after the runway was extended from 1080m to 1500m (AWS has the runway at 1199m).

Anyways, looks like London City needs some adjusting :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:12:41 PM by sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: London City Airport
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »
Even if it fits to the runway doesn't mean it can operate there. Due to the high angle of the glide path .. and I believe the list of approved aircraft has been set from some source, it just hasn't been made up. So if you have details that ATP can fly there indeed, it can of course be added.

Offline 11Air

• Members
Re: [-] London City Airport
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 10:19:57 PM »
That sounds right Sami. As a v.pilot I can get a 737 in there, just. The glide slope is 5 degrees as I remember and in over the City so equipment spec is high too. It's also a blind ended runway, back track required to clear the runway.

stevecree

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 10:25:12 PM »
Approach angle is 5.5 degrees or more, but I cannot find if the ATP can achieve that.  Here is the current official list of approved types for LCY ops...

All aircraft using the Airport must be of an approved type. To qualify for approval an aircraft should fit into one of the
Airport’s Noise Categories and be capable of making an approach at 5.5 degrees or steeper (this compares with 3
degrees at most other airports). Helicopters, vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) aircraft and single engine aircraft
are not permitted.

Aircraft Approved to Fly from London City Airport

Airbus A318
BAe 146/Avro RJ family
BAe 41 Jetstream
ATR 42
ATR 72
DHC Dash 7
Bombardier Q Series/DHC Dash 8
Dornier Fairchild Do328
Dornier Fairchild Do328 Jet
Embraer 135
Embraer E170
Embraer E190
Fokker 50
Fokker 70
Saab 340 B
Saab 2000

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 10:40:15 PM »
I found the same list on their website, but it isn't historic (only current): http://www.lcacc.org/aircraft/

There are several approved types that haven't come out in DOTM that aren't listed yet (presumably because they haven't come out), but the F100 isn't approved--only the F70, but there are in the same fleet group so probably hard to enforce.  Also only certain variants of the ATR 42/72 are allowed as well as the Jetscream.

Based on what I found, all prop planes are capable of a 5.5 degree approach because the props act as an air brake when they land, but being certified is a whole different ballgame.  I don't know if adjusting the runway length changes anything either as it should be shorter (and then longer in 1992).

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »
The runway length at 1199m is correct (takeoff run available is 1199m), has been discussed in the past.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.