Vatsim

Started by Aerlingus1916, May 14, 2013, 02:41:35 PM

Aerlingus1916

Is anybody here a vatsim member?
I've just passed my S1 exam. Im very happy with myself! I can control ground and delivery now! Is anyone interested in vatsim? If so it is a must for all flight simulator users. Id love to here your stories and if you have any q's id love to answer them.

Best regards,
EI330

ban2

I have heard of Vatsim, what does it do exactly?

swiftus27

FSX mod. Allows multiplayer on a massive scale.

alexgv1

You will find me on vatsim flying out of the south of England for Thomson Virtual.

http://www.vataware.com/pilot.cfm?cid=1094094

Where will you control?
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Infinity

Too much of a hassle. Job + other more important hobbies = no no.

ban2

well i'll certainly try this when i have my next flight sim phase

swiftus27

My computer glitches badly with FSX.  I'd join but I get bad lockups. 

Aerlingus1916

Quote from: ban2 on May 14, 2013, 03:13:45 PM
I have heard of Vatsim, what does it do exactly?

VATSIM is an online flight simulation network. You can connect to it with Microsoft Flight Simulator or X-Plane if you want to be a pilot (using a free plug-in), or you can connect to it with free, downloadable programs that simulate radar scopes if you want to be an air traffic controller.

People on the network communicate by voice as they would in real life. Pilots receive and follow instructions from air traffic controllers, and ATC coordinates traffic and maintains separation of aircraft, as in real life. The procedures used and the radio language used are the same as in real life. Membership is free.

See http://www.vatsim.net

Aerlingus1916

Quote from: alexgv1 on May 14, 2013, 03:23:18 PM
You will find me on vatsim flying out of the south of England for Thomson Virtual.

http://www.vataware.com/pilot.cfm?cid=1094094

Where will you control?

EIDW_GND/DEL for now. (Dublin airport). I'll let you know when im controlling so you can fly in ;)

Aerlingus1916

Quote from: swiftus27 on May 14, 2013, 04:13:24 PM
My computer glitches badly with FSX.  I'd join but I get bad lockups.  

That's a pity, it is a fantastic game, vatsim really applies that realism thats missing from fsx on its own.

Also @alexgv1 you should apply to become an ATC.

alexgv1

Quote from: a330erlingus on May 14, 2013, 04:25:58 PM
EIDW_GND/DEL for now. (Dublin airport). I'll let you know when im controlling so you can fly in ;)

Might take the CityJet RJ over there when I get some Dublin scenery  :)

I tried becoming a controller in VATSIM UK division but they were pretty useless back then, and now the system is saturated. I'm happy to fly and have some ATC service.

swiftus27

Quote from: a330erlingus on May 14, 2013, 04:29:59 PM
That's a pity, it is a fantastic game, vatsim really applies that realism thats missing from fsx on its own.

Also @alexgv1 you should apply to become an ATC.

I bought the thing so I could use it with ivao and vatsim too

Aerlingus1916

What did you buy?

Quote from: swiftus27 on May 14, 2013, 05:53:02 PM
I bought the thing so I could use it with ivao and vatsim too

Aerlingus1916

Do you use the PDMG 737ngx alexgv1? (Or any other payware aircraft)

swiftus27

my Alienware Quad I7 with dual cards seems to lock up alot.    I run three monitors and this game wasn't designed for that.   That MS Fly game was amazing with this computer and no one played it because it was a freaking arcade game. 

Aerlingus1916

Ah i see now.

I flew 'across the pond' in vatsim (A huge annual vatsim event, flying across the Atlantic: pond).

So anyway, i was at a friends house who has a 747, real life cockpit and we were descending into JFK, that went fine, but as we were approaching the minimums for landing the 4 screen-monitor froze and fsx crashed. We sat there for about 30minutes not believing our eyes.  :laugh:

swiftus27

That's when it always locks up...   It always happens on final.  They know about it and there is nothing you can do.     Perhaps take off again out of LGA (haha) and enter the VFR pattern. 

alexgv1

If you tweak your GFX card settings and FSX.cfg file you can stop a lot of those crashes on approach swifty. It's when the game has the highest work to do.

Quote from: a330erlingus on May 14, 2013, 07:08:55 PM
Do you use the PDMG 737ngx alexgv1? (Or any other payware aircraft)

Yeah I use that and am awaiting the flight sim labs A320.

Taking a 737 accross the pond, now that was exciting! (Boeing delivery flight Seattle to England)

Aerlingus1916

Quote from: swiftus27 on May 14, 2013, 07:29:45 PM
That's when it always locks up...   It always happens on final.  They know about it and there is nothing you can do.     Perhaps take off again out of LGA (haha) and enter the VFR pattern. 

Hahahaha good idea :laugh:

Quote from: alexgv1 on May 14, 2013, 07:39:10 PM
If you tweak your GFX card settings and FSX.cfg file you can stop a lot of those crashes on approach swifty. It's when the game has the highest work to do.

Yeah I use that and am awaiting the flight sim labs A320.

Taking a 737 accross the pond, now that was exciting! (Boeing delivery flight Seattle to England)

Ok il look into that.
Haha must have been very fun!!

swiftus27

The computer can run every total war game on max settings and the cooling fans don't even kick on