MUST SEE - Video of 747 Cargo crash in Afghanistan today

Started by Infinity, April 30, 2013, 03:38:13 PM

Mr.HP

Wow, that was terrible. How could it crash like that?

The news is reported in Apr 29, but the date on the video was months ago. Wrong date set up on the camera?

Infinity

Probably. It definitely is not a fake.

As far as I am informed, a jeep or some other cargo broke lose from its anchor and tumbled down into the back of the plane due to its pitch, the shift obviously would have caused the pitch to rise dramatically, thus causing a deep stall with the horizontal stabilizer losing airstream and becoming inoperable. That's a serious situation in any altitude, but right after take off its a death verdict. I feel bad for the boys that died this horrible death.

ArcherII

That was horrible. This unusual attitude is very difficult to resolve at high altitude with such a big jet, at 1200ft AGL they did not have a chance.
My deep condolences to the families of the 7 crewmembers.

Dasha

Wow... they managed to correct the roll which is impressive. I'm guessing if they had been a few hundred feet higher they might have even pulled back up again and gain control. Or is that too simple of me?
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Infinity

Yup. Don't forget the load tumbling back and forth in that thing.

Dasha

The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Jona L.

As far as I have been informed, the loading was actually secured correctly, but due to the pilots fast(-er than usual) ascend to avoid becoming a target for terrorists, the 5 MRATs on board have been able to break lose from the securing (as it was not meant to withhold these G-forces), and moved through the plane. Which resulted in the tumbling which is clearly seen in the video, and this tumbling actually sent the aircraft in a stall, from which it couldn't recover. The result we all know...

R.I.P to the 7 people on board.

cheers,
Jona L.

ban2

too me it looks like a stall, at that altitude he had no chance of recovery.

*edit*  there's something odd here... a jet engine takes approx 5 seconds to respond to throttle, at 13 seconds you can hear jets spooling up to full power this means he was in trouble at 8 seconds. On take off he should be on full power already so why the increased power at 8 seconds??

alexgv1

CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

cht7520

Quote from: ban2 on May 05, 2013, 10:46:03 PM
too me it looks like a stall, at that altitude he had no chance of recovery.

*edit*  there's something odd here... a jet engine takes approx 5 seconds to respond to throttle, at 13 seconds you can hear jets spooling up to full power this means he was in trouble at 8 seconds. On take off he should be on full power already so why the increased power at 8 seconds??

I have absolutely no technical knowledge on this, but from my experience on numerous flights listening to engines when they take off they seem to run at 80%. On rare occasions they run at full speed due to heavy load and you can tell the difference, so much louder. Had a go-around once at Heathrow and them engines were definitely on 100%. So I'm positive they take off at 80% (or whatever it is) power normally.

That's 777-300ERs though, not sure if this applies to 747-400s.

Infinity

Quote from: ban2 on May 05, 2013, 10:46:03 PM
*edit*  there's something odd here... a jet engine takes approx 5 seconds to respond to throttle, at 13 seconds you can hear jets spooling up to full power this means he was in trouble at 8 seconds. On take off he should be on full power already so why the increased power at 8 seconds??

Airbus has something called T/O Flex, a thrust good for take off that isn't full power and thus is gentler to the engines. Surely Boeing has something alike?
Also, I believe that the 5 seconds take into account the time needed to spool up, so you would hear them begin to do that earlier after the levers have been handled.

ArcherII

Flex T/O power exists in a lot of airplanes, big and small. I can't be sure whether this T/O was derated or not, maybe the airplane was below MTOW I don't know, but the airfield elevation and hot weather does increase your take off roll a lot, but certainly the airplane didn't took off with full power, maybe this was a case of MAX THRUST for the spin recovery.