Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Market Share  (Read 1192 times)

serverkill

• Former member
Market Share
« on: January 26, 2009, 06:47:48 PM »
Hi,

When you look in the chart of market share, what it means? Effective sales ticket market share or avaliable seats market share?

Regards,

Talentz

• Former member
Re: Market Share
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 06:57:05 PM »
Im sure its ticket sales/Pax transported.

So when you view the market share of any airport, it will show who is moving the most pax.

This is also on a day to day basis.

serverkill

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »
I have a route that i'm loosing market share but my plane still almost full (~97%), so it seems to me a chart of avaliable seats, but if you have sure about that, I will keep observing.  :-\

Regards.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 08:36:38 PM »
So you fly this route with competition.. LF is avg 97%.. and your losing market share? Maybe you fly a smaller aircraft then your competition?

Market share is calculated by who moves the most pax on that day within the route.

So.. you and your competition fly a 10 seater on a 10 seat daily pax a day route..

His LF is 70% and your LF 50% .. so total paxed moved for that day is 12. He moved 7, you moved 5.

Market share will show:  58% market share for him, 42% for you.

This is a very simple calculation... but do you have a better understanding of how it works?

Talentz

Offline Beni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:07:30 PM »
I have a route that i'm loosing market share but my plane still almost full (~97%), so it seems to me a chart of avaliable seats, but if you have sure about that, I will keep observing.  :-\

Regards.

I totally agree with this. Imagine I´m flying a route with 120 pax per day. I fly this route 3 times a day with a 40 seats plane, i.e. I´m offering 100% of the route needs. My route image is 100 and my company image is more than 70. Imagine then that a new airline enter the route with a daily flight with a 120 seats plane, well... in this moment the market share becomes 50% for each. So, I´m afraid the market share represented in the game is not based on real pax, it is based on offered seats.

This is a real in game example +-

thedr2

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:57:53 PM »
Actually, In your example you should be the one with the larger market share, as you're offering a more frequent service.  ;)

jmcmanna

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 12:52:37 AM »
Looks like it's based on sold seats to me . . .

For example, I offer 310 out of 2252 seats for the day between LAX and LAS (13.77%), but my market share was actually 18.48% on that route. (Seats available is much higher than demand)

Another example, from LAX-RNO, I have 217 out of the 295 seats available that day (73.56%), but my market share is 75.68%.

One more, from LAX-OAK I have 191 of the 309 seats (61.81%), but my market share is 76.07%.

If the demand exceeds available seats, then the % of seats sold should be about the same as the % of seats available.  If seats available exceeds demand, then the airline with the better image, lower fares, etc . . .  should have a higher market share and the lower quality or higher priced airline should have a lower market share.

serverkill

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 05:27:18 PM »
I'm was looking closer about it and definitely the market share is about avaliable seats.

My sold seats chage about 20% every day and the market share don't change.

Regards

jmcmanna

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 06:40:31 PM »
I still don't think that's right (see my above post).  I also had a situation where I had 68 seats available in a market where the daily demand was about 70.  Another airline came in and offered around 300 more seats on the same route, but because of my lower prices and higher company image, I held about 75% of the market share with less than 25% of the available seats.

The competing airline pulled out of that route completely a few game months later and I went back to 100% of the market share.

robeveleigh

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »
An example I have to promote the idea that these statistics are based on passengers flown, rather than capacity.

On route KORD-KABQ I share the route with my competitor out of KORD.  My capacity is 450 seats per day and his is 318. However, the stats show that I only have a 49% market share, therefore, it must be on passenger's carried, I have only be running the route for a few weeks so I'm quite pleased, althogh that's besides the point.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 10:32:08 AM »
An example I have to promote the idea that these statistics are based on passengers flown, rather than capacity.

Of course. It is based on the true passengers flown.. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense, would it? ;)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.