Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: The silliest ways to destroy your airline  (Read 1377 times)

samomuransky

• Former member
The silliest ways to destroy your airline
« on: March 18, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »
I just leased Concorde for 15 years by mistake and I'm based at airport with zero demand for long-haul... Anyone elase has some similar experience of ruining his own airline in really silly way? :)

ReedME

• Former member
Re: The silliest ways to destroy your airline
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 01:36:42 PM »
Using the concorde in any regard generally results in death even with long haul demand :P

Jona L.

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 01:50:30 PM »
Using the concorde in any regard generally results in death even with long haul demand :P

If you know how, they can actually turn good profits :)

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 01:58:25 PM »
I had a big fleet of about 100 bac 1-11 in dotm once with 7 day scheduling for domestic shorthaul (read: thousands of routes).  I went to view routes not being flown as I removed a group of 7 aircraft with 50+ routes on them and wanted to free up the slots so I could schedule the aircraft for new routes.  As you can imagine I had tons of routes with 7 day scheduling.  So I went to close the routes en masse on the unscheduled routes page.  I had more than one page of routes so I did select all and closed all the routes on the first page.  Little did I know that aws doesn't refresh the page with unscheduled routes, but instead it shows the page of all your routes.  I didn't think twice and just kept closing page after page of routes until they were all gone because I thought they were all old unscheduled routes.  After several pages I was like wtf where are all these unscheduled routes coming from.  I went to the scheduling page and half my fleet had empty schedules because I unknowingly closed a ton of active routes.  Thankfully, I was flush with cash, but it cost me a good 50+ million to reschedule everything.  Lesson learned that the unscheduled routes page does not refresh to itself after taking action.

ReedME

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 03:29:10 PM »
If you know how, they can actually turn good profits :)

Depends on the gameworld I guess... once fuel shoots up to >300-400 you just can't get the money out of them. I mean they burn 24 tonnes of fuel every hour. Thats 4 times as much fuel as a 767 yet it goes only just over twice as fast. With less passengers if I recall correctly...

Jona L.

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 03:37:01 PM »
Depends on the gameworld I guess... once fuel shoots up to >300-400 you just can't get the money out of them. I mean they burn 24 tonnes of fuel every hour. Thats 4 times as much fuel as a 767 yet it goes only just over twice as fast. With less passengers if I recall correctly...

In a decent 0/96/3 config (HD C/F) in a tight 7-day rotation from LHR I managed to run them at 1.2M/week with fuel 250-300ish...

Not many other places than LHR where a CONC is going to work though, but ref. Real World: same was for that.
So before anyone starts to cry about LHR being a different story: LHR IS DIFFERENT - accept it ;)

cheers,
[SC] Jona L.

Offline chiveicrook

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »
I had a big fleet of about 100 bac 1-11 in dotm once with 7 day scheduling for domestic shorthaul (read: thousands of routes).  I went to view routes not being flown as I removed a group of 7 aircraft with 50+ routes on them and wanted to free up the slots so I could schedule the aircraft for new routes.  As you can imagine I had tons of routes with 7 day scheduling.  So I went to close the routes en masse on the unscheduled routes page.  I had more than one page of routes so I did select all and closed all the routes on the first page.  Little did I know that aws doesn't refresh the page with unscheduled routes, but instead it shows the page of all your routes.  I didn't think twice and just kept closing page after page of routes until they were all gone because I thought they were all old unscheduled routes.  After several pages I was like wtf where are all these unscheduled routes coming from.  I went to the scheduling page and half my fleet had empty schedules because I unknowingly closed a ton of active routes.  Thankfully, I was flush with cash, but it cost me a good 50+ million to reschedule everything.  Lesson learned that the unscheduled routes page does not refresh to itself after taking action.

heheh, happened to me too :)

ReedME

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 03:40:17 PM »
In a decent 0/96/6 config (HD C/F) in a tight 7-day rotation from LHR I managed to run them at 1.2M/week with fuel 250-300ish...

Not many other places than LHR where a CONC is going to work though, but ref. Real World: same was for that.
So before anyone starts to cry about LHR being a different story: LHR IS DIFFERENT - accept it ;)

cheers,
[SC] Jona L.

Thats because nowhere else is going to provide demand for 100C pax I've only seen it once or twice. Even though you're turning 1.2m a week, you could do better with a slower widebody. Thats a fact. And ultimately thats why British Airways and Airfrance canned the concordes.

Because a slower airplane made significantly more money. It's only really business people that flew concordes anyway.

As much as I love them :3

Jona L.

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 03:46:50 PM »
Thats because nowhere else is going to provide demand for 100C pax I've only seen it once or twice. Even though you're turning 1.2m a week, you could do better with a slower widebody. Thats a fact. And ultimately thats why British Airways and Airfrance canned the concordes.

Because a slower airplane made significantly more money. It's only really business people that flew concordes anyway.

As much as I love them :3

Never said they were the better option. I'm just saying they can make a good bunch of cash. From LHR a 744 can make 3-4M/week with the right LFs and Configs. Which kindof proves the point ;)

Anyways, CONC is not exactly a safe way to BK, if you know how to use it and are in the right circumstances... not that this would actually help the OP :P

Offline Infinity

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 04:24:45 PM »
In a decent 0/96/3 config (HD C/F) in a tight 7-day rotation from LHR I managed to run them at 1.2M/week with fuel 250-300ish...

That's still not very smart because of opportunity costs. In a slot restricted airport like LHR, you can run another aircraft for more profit with that slot set.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 10:12:29 PM »
I've heard opening a base in Bermuda and ordering 50 unwanted A330s is a good way to run an airline.

(Jona.... DOTM1.... Remember  :P )

Oh by the way the number one way to BK an airline is have "real life commitments" (TTKK  :laugh: )
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Troxartas86

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 10:51:09 PM »
Order a bunch of new planes then don't log in for about a week.  :(

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »
Oh by the way the number one way to BK an airline is have "real life commitments" (TTKK  :laugh: )

I think getting married would be the #1 silliest way to destroy your airline :)

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 01:29:33 PM »
I think getting married would be the #1 silliest way to destroy your airline :)

Yeah that's a big one. Some people manage though. Must have tolerant wives  :D
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Jona L.

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 02:19:30 PM »
I've heard opening a base in Bermuda and ordering 50 unwanted A330s is a good way to run an airline.

Thanks for opening up old wounds... had already forgotten about that

That Bermuda thing was a test only, but those 50 A333 were indeed a stupid thing. But to just refresh your memory, too, I didn't go bust in that GW!!

Oh by the way the number one way to BK an airline is have "real life commitments" (TTKK  :laugh: )

Happens only if you have to reschedule 450+ DC-9s to MD 80s (DanDantes, DotM 2 or 3)

Order a bunch of new planes then don't log in for about a week.  :(

2 things:
a) how do you get a decent plane ordered newly so soon? Waiting lists for most good a/c are 2-3yrs with open end.

b) Your airline can't have been any good to start off with, if it only took a week to go bust.

And my TOP #1 Reason for BK:

Start a forums war, get banned for 12 days, come back to see that you missed a few payraises forgot to set the one or another A/B-check and only be able to watch the result of that happening for 12 days without you being able to intervene. When I came back to the RotMA game I had been over 5bn in the red and BK was pending :P .
To increases the pain, I received daily E-Mail updates... ;(

cheers,
[SC] Jona L.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:24:10 PM by [SC] Jona L. »

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 09:41:36 AM »
Buy it's communist cousin... Once had a good airline, raking in good profits... BOUGHT three Konkordski's..... took them half a year to bankrupt me... They only work with government support which is not scheduled in AWS :)
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.