Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Idea for flights under 50 miles  (Read 1123 times)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
Idea for flights under 50 miles
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:05:27 PM »
Helicopters!  Let's use them for the routes too short for planes.

It would work in major metro areas only (like JFK to Laguardia or SFO to OAK)...

Thoughts?

Kontio

• Former member
Re: Idea for flights under 50 miles
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:14:13 PM »
Was it yesterday or day before when sami said that helicopters will not be implemented in the game. Anyway, would most people just take a taxi for the trips you mentioned? Not a huge demand for a scheduled helicopter service between two airports.

thedr2

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:13:14 PM »
I doubt anybody would take a helicopter from JFK to lagaurdia. Although Sami has said he'd consider allowing island hopper routes, but somebody would need to send him the route pair info.

Helicopters don't work for a number of reasons, including that they can land at more than just airports, and some airports can't handle helicopter traffic etc.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 12:38:22 AM »
I can give you an example:

KEWR to downtown NYC.  There is a place in Manhattan where helis can land and you do get on these helis from inside the KEWR airport.

Kontio

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:08:11 AM »
I can give you an example:

KEWR to downtown NYC.  There is a place in Manhattan where helis can land and you do get on these helis from inside the KEWR airport.

Helicopter service from the airport to downtown areas is only available in huge cities such as NYC. Also, are even these services scheduled or do they just fly whenever a very wealthy and busy person needs a lift? I think helicopters are such a marginal business that there is really no need to include them in the game.

pseudoswede

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »
Also, are even these services scheduled or do they just fly whenever a very wealthy and busy person needs a lift?

http://www.flyushelictoper.com

They provide scheduled helicopter service from NYC to JFK and EWR. DL and CO offer check-in services at the NYC Heliport. DL offers free flights when booked in F, C, or Y.

That said, last time I checked, "downtown NYC" is not an airport.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 04:07:15 PM »
Sorry that I didn't know the airport code for the helipad that it lands at in NYC.  Jesus some of you people are picky.

Pike

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 04:53:54 PM »
Sorry that I didn't know the airport code for the helipad that it lands at in NYC.  Jesus some of you people are picky.

Sucks when people crap on your idea, doesn't it?

Sounds like this problem of helis in the game is your own, eh?

EGJB

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 06:48:11 PM »
Although Sami has said he'd consider allowing island hopper routes, but somebody would need to send him the route pair info.

Channel Island inter-island data already submitted. Still waiting to be able to fly the routes though (perhaps it will appear in Game 3)

You can tell who lives in the US - 50 miles is positively long-haul for me  ;)

Mahon

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 09:22:51 PM »
It NEVER makes economic sense to move pax by helicopters (vs fixed wing) if there's an accessible runway at both ends. I get the feeling that the effort which would be expended in adding heliports and helicopters would be better spent refining the existing model.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.