Question about Bombardier CRJ705 and CRJ900

Started by Monica, February 27, 2013, 07:27:03 AM

Monica

I'm just curious about what's the point with the CRJ705? It has the same fuselage length as CRJ900, yet lower pax capacity than the CRJ700. I haven't been able to find any useful info on the internet. Any airplane experts that can explain it to me?  :)

(On a side note, I'm very happy to hear B737 Max and A320 Neo will be available in MT8)

Sami

I remember it being a special model built for some airline due to contract clauses or such.. See Wiki..

Silentlysailing

I think it was built for like jazz or air Canada so that it would remain in the regional classification. I've also seen where its been a little controversial with like the large erjs as to whether they should be considered as part of the mainline fleets vs regional.

brique

As I understand it, these 'odd' seating configurations are primarily to get around aircrew contracts, so that the regional feeders dont have to pay the same salary rates as 'mainline' services : its a con really, they are the same aircraft, but change the designation and get it certified for fewer seats, it becomes a new type and so you can pay your feeder airline aircrew much less to fly it: the bean-counters love it as, presumably, the costs saved more than make up for the fewer seats.

Monica

Quote from: brique on February 27, 2013, 09:48:38 PM
As I understand it, these 'odd' seating configurations are primarily to get around aircrew contracts, so that the regional feeders dont have to pay the same salary rates as 'mainline' services : its a con really, they are the same aircraft, but change the designation and get it certified for fewer seats, it becomes a new type and so you can pay your feeder airline aircrew much less to fly it: the bean-counters love it as, presumably, the costs saved more than make up for the fewer seats.

But if that's the case, why can't they use CRJ700 instead? It has more seats, better range and less fuel consumption. I don't understand the logic.

brique

Its the seat number the airframe is certified for : that affects the aircrew salary scale : with all the seats that could be put in the same size aircraft, they would stop being 'regional' (cheap) and become 'mainline' (expensive) : basically, it keeps the pilots/crew poorly paid : its not logical except in terms of screwing the workers over.

Wagster

I still don't understand the in-game implementation of the 705.

If some maximum passenger capacity clause requires less seats than the CRJ 700 why not use a CRJ 700 fuselage with less seats? Why use the CRJ 900 fuselage? If you're using the CRJ 900 fuselage it must be because they needed the extra space of the 900 fuselage for something.

From Wikipedia:

"The CRJ700 Series 705 is based on the CRJ900, with a business class cabin and a reduced maximum seating capacity to allow operation with regional airlines. The Series 705 seats 75 passengers. (...) Air Canada Jazz was the launch customer for this aircraft in 2005 with 10 Executive Class and 65 Economy Class seats, all fitted with personal audio/video-on-demand systems."

So perhaps the 900 fuselage is necessary to provide room for a "business class cabin", whatever that means. Let's see what the game thinks.

In-game possible configurations that approach real life:

705: 8 HD Business, 64 HD Economy.
700: 12 HD Business, 64 HD Economy.

So in-game we can have a bigger "business class cabin" in the 700 than in the 705, when in fact the 705 should allow for a bigger "business class cabin", if that's the reason it uses the 900 fuselage instead of the 700.

Can anyone provide in-game seating data for the CRJ 900? Can you use "standard" seats instead of HD for either economy or business and still achieve numbers close to 10 business and 65 economy?

So far in-game the 705 looks like a complete waste of time.

EDIT: in real life the 705 can be "converted" into a lower seat 900:

"Chorus Aviation to acquire five Bombardier CRJ900 aircraft
Apr 26, 2016

Existing Q400 and CRJ705 aircraft to be reconfigured

HALIFAX, April 26, 2016 /CNW/ - Chorus Aviation Inc. ('Chorus') (TSX: CHR.B CHR.A) today announced that it has signed a firm purchase agreement to acquire five Bombardier CRJ900 regional jets" (...) These five 76-seat CRJ900 regional jets will enter into service in early 2017. As part of its fleet standardization plan, Jazz will reconfigure its existing 16 75-seat CRJ705 aircraft to 76-seats, thereby converting the CRJ705s to CRJ900 regional jets as agreed to with Air Canada. The aircraft will be configured in two classes of service with 12 seats in business class and 64 seats in economy class, including 20 preferred economy seats. Both cabins will feature seatback in-flight entertainment systems and Gogo wireless internet access."
http://chorusaviation.ca/2016-04-26-Chorus-Aviation-to-acquire-five-Bombardier-CRJ900-aircraft

Zombie Slayer

the CRJ 705 should use the same work around that planes like the MD-90 uses in AWS. It does use the fuselage of the CRJ 900 and was designed to allow a larger business cabin while having an artificial cap at 75 pax for pilot scope clauses at certain regional airlines. I believe it was designed for Air Canada Jazz, much like the 44 seat CRJ (which is not in AWS) was designed for Northwests scope clause and the ERJ-140 for American Eagles scope clause.

For it to be properly modeled in AWS, it should have a default configuration of about 9 Standard C and 64 Standard Y. While max capacity is 75, seating configurations should be based on the capacity of the CR9.
Don Collins of Ohio III, by the Grace of God of the SamiMetaverse of HatF and MT and of His other Realms and Game Worlds, King, Head of the Elite Alliance, Defender of the OOB, Protector of the Slots