Footballl (soccer)

Started by swiftus27, January 02, 2013, 01:19:48 AM

exchlbg

Quote from: ARASKA on January 02, 2013, 05:08:08 PM
I love that you include football/soccer in with religion and politics.

Because people tend to get fanatic and unreasonable when it comes to any of these alike.

Aerlingus1916

Quote from: Pilot Oatmeal on January 02, 2013, 04:57:03 PM
I meant the Irish airlines haha I'm only messing :) not your own airlines
Oh sorry ;D I guess, Ryanair are truly amazing, even though people complain about them they sell tickets for 10euro! AerLingus are much more posh and expensive, I love both of them :)

brique

Quote from: swiftus27 on January 02, 2013, 05:11:05 PM
I think football is religion in UK and im sure an elected official in Manchester walked into work wearing Chelsea blue he'd be assassinated by noon.

Also, im a licensed referee for American football.  I can see how rediculous the game appears to some.

Cricket is unwatchable imho.    

'Cricket is unwatchable imho.' is exactly the point of cricket : you are not supposed to 'watch' it : it is a social event, with many features and rituals, the watching part only takes up a fraction of the day : to be seen in your seat before lunch is considered rather declasse, to be seen sober in your seat after lunch is decidedly poor form : to be able to walk, unaided, to your carriage at 'stumps' is social death.

Of course, many of the lesser social groupings have got totally the wrong end of things, as ever, and attempt to 'support' their side by being present for every ball bowled : this just shows how ill-educated they are in the finer matters in life. Their dedication to the last two parts of our dictum, well-soused after lunch and being unable to walk unaided to their bus, is however, an excellent sign that good manners will rub-off onto even the lowest social naif : so there is hope for America yet.

Sanabas

Quote from: Pilot Oatmeal on January 02, 2013, 03:08:44 PM
Then look up "aluminum".

The word is aluminium.

Quote9.  All American cars are hereby banned.  They are crap and it is for your own good.  When we show you German/English cars, you will understand what we mean.

English cars.  :laugh:

Gridiron is far more fun to watch and play than soccer, minority sport or not. Ice hockey would be fun to watch and play, if a: I could skate and b: the NHL season was actually on. Instead, I play real hockey. And stay on the field all game. Joys of being a goalie.  ;D

Pilot Oatmeal

Quote from: Sanabas on January 02, 2013, 07:51:29 PM
The word is aluminium.

English cars.  :laugh:

If you speak the English language then no, it isn't. 

English cars, yep, 90% of Formula 1 cars, Aston Martin, McClaren... much better than Ford.... much...much...much better than corvette.   ;D :laugh:

Sanabas

Quote from: Pilot Oatmeal on January 02, 2013, 07:54:13 PM
If you speak the English language then no, it isn't.

I do, and it is. The letter i appears twice. US variant spellings don't count. Even if the guy who discovered it wanted to spell it that way.

QuoteEnglish cars, yep, 90% of Formula 1 cars, Aston Martin, McClaren... much better than Ford.... much...much...much better than corvette.   ;D :laugh:

I thought Aston Martins were actually Fords now?

Pilot Oatmeal

Quote from: Sanabas on January 02, 2013, 08:07:32 PM
I do, and it is. The letter i appears twice. US variant spellings don't count. Even if the guy who discovered it wanted to spell it that way.

You know what I read that ENTIRELY wrong, you are right, I thought you were saying the US variant is right.  And it's not. 

Aston Martin, is owned by Ford, but the car created in the UK: http://www.astonmartins.com/factory/gaydon.htm

Aerlingus1916

Quote from: Sanabas on January 02, 2013, 08:07:32 PM

They were supposed to do that ages ago and they did, just lately i believe.... After Fords financial crisis.

swiftus27

And jaguar was once a Ford product too...  
And Land Rover was once a Ford product too...

So let's not go into car bashing...

That is, unless you can afford to hire a bunch of Asians, socially indoctrinate them into the 'stakeholder' mentality and convince them to live in 1 bedroom apartments with their whole families.... then make Kias.    (Used to be the Japanese before they wised up)

Aerlingus1916

Quote from: swiftus27 on January 02, 2013, 10:18:46 PM

That is, unless you can afford to hire a bunch of Asians, socially indoctrinate them into the 'stakeholder' mentality and convince them to live in 1 bedroom apartments with their whole families.... then make Kias.    (Used to be the Japanese before they wised up)

I don't take any offence but i would edit that if I were you..... Might be a bit racist on asians....

swiftus27

I will not edit as that would be trying to hide what I said.   a cover up is always worse.  

I will say this:  If I offended anyone, I am sorry.  That was not the intention.

I actually learned about Japanese social culture in college.   The lifestyle they were forced to lead was appalling.   Businessmen literally expected to drink every night until the last train (or miss is and sleep in a bubble)... they never saw their families.    They were indoctrinated into believing that it was always for the greater good.   Generations of this existed.  Now things are changing there and Toyota and Honda are starting to slip significantly.      

Kia is able to outperform their peers because they don't have the legacy costs and labor costs that most others do.  They can crush the competition and offer tons more product for the money than their peers.   Options found in luxury cars normally are in their base level products.  The Koreans will work crazy hours for marginal wages.   This will always put a society ahead.... that is until all the other perils of mental and physical breakdown start to happen.   

Aerlingus1916

Thanks, i just wanted to say that in case you got temporarily banned or something.... No offensive action informed by me. ;)

swiftus27

Quote from: a330erlingus on January 02, 2013, 10:32:14 PM
Thanks, i just wanted to say that in case you got temporarily banned or something.... No offensive action informed by me. ;)

Understood and appreciated.  Again, I wasn't looking down on Asians... they've just dominated the auto world over the past 20 years or so and the reasons are obvious.   Japan is currently falling while S Korea is growing.  China may be next if they can do what they do with virtually every other product.   NO ONE can compete if you have an endless supply of cheap labor. 

Sanabas

Quote from: swiftus27 on January 02, 2013, 10:18:46 PM

Nah, I was just laughing at the stereotype of English cars, which is they stop every 300km for petrol, and every 100km to breakdown. And I thought that all the nominally English makes had died out, other than as makers of stupidly expensive luxury/sports stuff. Unlike the equivalent German stuff in both cases. With Land Rover an exception I forgot.

Aerlingus1916

Quote from: swiftus27 on January 02, 2013, 10:36:56 PM
Understood and appreciated.  Again, I wasn't looking down on Asians... they've just dominated the auto world over the past 20 years or so and the reasons are obvious.   Japan is currently falling while S Korea is growing.  China may be next if they can do what they do with virtually every other product.   NO ONE can compete if you have an endless supply of cheap labor. 
I know :) I say things before i think..... But you guys probably know that..... :-[

brique

Quote from: Sanabas on January 02, 2013, 10:37:57 PM
Nah, I was just laughing at the stereotype of English cars, which is they stop every 300km for petrol, and every 100km to breakdown. And I thought that all the nominally English makes had died out, other than as makers of stupidly expensive luxury/sports stuff. Unlike the equivalent German stuff in both cases. With Land Rover an exception I forgot.

There remains but one British-owned car manufacturer : its called Morgan, hand-builds expensive old fashioned Roadsters and has a waiting list longer than Airbus.

There used to be 2, the other was Reliant, who built fibre-glass bodied 3-wheelers... from the sublime to the ridiculous....

Sanabas

Good enough for Mr Bean to drive.

And I remember seeing Top Gear trying to do a lap of their track in one. Didn't end well.  :laugh:

And speaking of stuff I've seen on Top Gear, both the Ariel Atom & Caterham are also British and road legal, aren't they?

Aerlingus1916

Quote from: Sanabas on January 02, 2013, 11:01:28 PM

And I remember seeing Top Gear trying to do a lap of their track in one. Didn't end well.  :laugh:

And speaking of stuff I've seen on Top Gear, both the Ariel Atom & Caterham are also British and road legal, aren't they?
They are indeed.

brique

Quote from: Sanabas on January 02, 2013, 11:01:28 PM

The old Robin Reliant was a scary machine : with very strange drivers : I recall driving on the motorway in my old Land Rover, torrential rain, couldn't see beggar all for spray ; down to 40mph and thinking it was time to slow some more and flying past me comes a Reliant, throwing up a massive bow-wave, looking like it was about to take-off : obviously worked better as a boat than a car...

Caterham, and some other marques, filled a quasi-legal loophole ; they were not actually sold as complete cars, which would mean expensive crash-testing, etc.. they are 'kit-cars', you are supposed to assemble them yourself, thus avoiding legal stuff and also a bunch of taxes : in actuality, you pay 'some-one' to assemble it for you (which is legal too).. its wierd stuff, but that's how Lotus began, Caterham is now fully-owned by Lotus (who are malaysian-owned, I think), which is a bit circular, cos Caterham started by taking over building the Lotus7, after Lotus went upmarket with Elans and the like.

Not sure about Ariel : its a beefed up motorbike with extra wheels, really. There are some small scale outfits like them, but not really established builders as such, more assemblers of various bought-in parts onto self-built chassis : they do build some wild stuff though, the Bobcat (Land-Rover based) is a seriously fast and proficient off-roader, there is another lot who turn old Citroen Dyanes into pre-war Morgan-style three wheelers, and there we are, back to 3-wheelers and Morgans...

JonesyUK

A couple of points:

1. Football is the most popular sport in the world. You don't need to make up sports that end up  120- 110 to be able to enjoy it (a nil-nil draw can be just as exciting as a 4-3).

2. Aston Martin was owned by ford, but is now owned a British consortium including Dave Richards of Prodrive (British motor sport company)

3. Mr Bean drove an Austin Mini  ;D