Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] One aircraft per route without restriction  (Read 540 times)

Curse

• Former member
[-] One aircraft per route without restriction
« on: November 21, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »
Regarding to this post:

http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,44349.0.html

Let's discuss this seriously.

I'm for a route that allows one aircraft without any restrictions. The 200% rule should start if a second flight per day is added.

Why?

1) One can use spare times in a 7-day-schedule on bigger aircraft to fly to a destination nearby.

2) One can use efficient aircraft to fly routes one has no other fleetgroup for and still don't waste the demand there.

Your argument is, this could prevent others from joining the route.

But let's think about this.

1) Mostly routes are affected that go to airports nobody is based there.

2) The competitor might have the same problem. As long as he can't hack his own aircraft into the database, there might be simply no aircraft that would respect the rules for some routes. It could also kill some smaller airports with small longhaul demand like Puerto Rico airports.

3) The AirwaySim route calculation is fair.

Let's make an example: I'm based at London Heathrow and have spare time on my A300-600 schedule. I decide to fly fly it to Birmingham which is a route of about 70 economy pax per day.

If I'm alone on the route, I get all the 70 pax and be happy, because I maybe make some extra money on the aircraft.

Now the guy out of Birmingham decides to fly to London Heathrow. He has the same CI and RI as I have. He uses a Fokker 50 with 50 seats.

The demand of 70 is now divided. We both get 35 seats. His Fokker 50 will still make a good profit, but maybe my A300-600 starts to suck. So I have to close the route.

If I change the A300-600 to an A318, I'm not violating the rules - but still only get 35 pax.

The problem is, in many cases we don't have the perfect equipment for a route. Maybe because it doesn't exist (Europe to US, 3000-4000nm, 80-120 pax routes) in the timeline or in general. Or because we can't afford another fleetgroup just to fill up 10-12 additional destinations.

=> Where are the exact disadvantages of having one free flight? I don't see them. Competition will always win against an aircraft that isn't perfect for the route while it might be good enough as long as there is no competition.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 08:45:54 PM by sami »

Offline ARASKA

• Members
Re: One aircraft per route without restriction
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »
Regarding to this post:

http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,44349.0.html

Let's discuss this seriously.

I'm for a route that allows one aircraft without any restrictions. The 200% rule should start if a second flight per day is added.

Why?

1) One can use spare times in a 7-day-schedule on bigger aircraft to fly to a destination nearby.

2) One can use efficient aircraft to fly routes one has no other fleetgroup for and still don't waste the demand there.

Your argument is, this could prevent others from joining the route.

But let's think about this.

1) Mostly routes are affected that go to airports nobody is based there.

2) The competitor might have the same problem. As long as he can't hack his own aircraft into the database, there might be simply no aircraft that would respect the rules for some routes. It could also kill some smaller airports with small longhaul demand like Puerto Rico airports.

3) The AirwaySim route calculation is fair.

Let's make an example: I'm based at London Heathrow and have spare time on my A300-600 schedule. I decide to fly fly it to Birmingham which is a route of about 70 economy pax per day.

If I'm alone on the route, I get all the 70 pax and be happy, because I maybe make some extra money on the aircraft.

Now the guy out of Birmingham decides to fly to London Heathrow. He has the same CI and RI as I have. He uses a Fokker 50 with 50 seats.

The demand of 70 is now divided. We both get 35 seats. His Fokker 50 will still make a good profit, but maybe my A300-600 starts to suck. So I have to close the route.

If I change the A300-600 to an A318, I'm not violating the rules - but still only get 35 pax.

The problem is, in many cases we don't have the perfect equipment for a route. Maybe because it doesn't exist (Europe to US, 3000-4000nm, 80-120 pax routes) in the timeline or in general. Or because we can't afford another fleetgroup just to fill up 10-12 additional destinations.

=> Where are the exact disadvantages of having one free flight? I don't see them. Competition will always win against an aircraft that isn't perfect for the route while it might be good enough as long as there is no competition.

+1. Good points Curse. The new rule really doesn't help.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: One aircraft per route without restriction
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
This will not be allowed, reasons discussed in another thread.

However, this new addition will essentially solve the issue: http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,26356.msg242859.html#msg242859

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.