Discussion on the 3 best planes in airwaysim.

Started by Aerlingus1916, November 03, 2012, 06:37:06 PM

Talentz

Well.. why not.

1.) 747-300
2.) A330-300
3.) A321-200

Tied for 4th would be A300-600R and 767-400ER. 5th place would go to DC-8-63.

Talentz

swiftus27

I put the 777 and 747 in the most depressingly bad plane category.

freshmore

swiftus you may have just solved BA's problems!!! I see lots of 777's and 747's there!

Talentz

Quote from: swiftus27 on November 20, 2012, 12:46:27 AM
I put the 777 and 747 in the most depressingly bad plane category.

Your hate runs deep. Are you still having bad nightmares about leasing that 74S with your first airline in CLE? You have to overcome your fears. Be strong, chase those demons away!!

Stretches produce higher PFOs then other aircraft, in general. More revenue, more profit potential. Some of those aircraft in the family line suck, but the same could be said about other lines as well.

Talentz

swiftus27

I love those 2 planes and enjoy flying on them.  They're unfairly bad in aws

Name_Omitted

The most absurdly profitable aircraft I have ever flown was the 747-400D.  I had 38 of them flying back when we could do A-B-C-B-A routing.  Fun times...

Curse

I've ordered several 744D to use them out of London Gatwick. I'm curious how they'll perform outside Asia. :)

RushmoreAir

Forget the 744D, I had a 743 configured to 550/5 in HD and ran it on monopolies - now that was profitable.  8)

swiftus27

Quote from: Name_Omitted on November 20, 2012, 01:06:44 PM
The most absurdly profitable aircraft I have ever flown was the 747-400D.  I had 38 of them flying back when we could do A-B-C-B-A routing.  Fun times...

Before frequency was implemented in its current state, sure.

Curse

Quote from: RushmoreAir on November 20, 2012, 03:46:09 PM
Forget the 744D, I had a 743 configured to 550/5 in HD and ran it on monopolies - now that was profitable.  8)

I try to phase out my 747 classic. :) But the 743 are printing lots of money - although they fly tech-stop and are expensively leased from manufacturer...

Andre

1. Airbus A320-series (Comes in different sizes, and the smaller ones actually burn less fuel. The smaller B737NGs don't)
2. MD-90-30/ER (Easy to get hands on, good all-round aircraft)
3. Bombardier CS100/CS300 (Doesn't get more economical than that)

ekaneti

Jet Age
Viscount: Low fuel burn, good speed and capacity

Dawn of Mellinium
DC-9-50: Great economics but poor range
DC-8-63: Good economics superior range

Modern Age
A321: Good range, good economics, better turn time than 757
Saab 2000: Good range, good speed and excellent fuel burn and economics

brique

being a little-birder, my choices are at that end of the scale ; so

Embraer 120
Fokker F.27
Heron 2

E120's and F.27's just churn out the earnings, unspectacular aircraft but solid performance. set-up right on domestic routes they can produce excellent earnings. Lastly, the Heron, a slightly comical old plane, that, like the bumble bee, logically should not work, but it does. Low purchase/lease costs, reasonable running costs, excellent range and chuggs along happily bringing home the precious green.

byrne

Hi,
Just an update as this has not been posted on in over a year.
In an epic game and in the first 10 years the best planes are without a doubt:

Vickers Viscount 700D - This hits the sweet spot of 50 passengers, is amazingly fast, has a massive range and allows you access to the later 800 and 840 for more pax. Probably the only plane that will hold up well from purchase to scrapping.

Douglas DC 6B to 7C - Slower than the later boeings and super sixties but MASSIVE range and capacity to establish yourself in the long haul market from the very start. Beats out the constellation on costs. As you want to replace these with either the boeings or super sixties within a decade it's best to just rent.

De Havilland Heron 2 - Just coming to market as the game starts. With 17 pax and 760 mile range this cheap and cheerful small plane will fill out all the thin routes for very little investment. There is no competition for it in the small plane market until the beechcraft 99 comes along 11 years later.

DanDan

In my opinion, in no particular order:

F27/50
Britannia

due to cargo also:
B757 & B767

probably with the LR/XLR also:
A320

spiff23

Not that they did well in real world...actually quite problematic...but given this is AWS and often times up is down and down is up (+ the fact they now group in same family)... I  liked doing the DC-10-30ER to MD-11.  I did quite well with that strategy...at least prior to the wind patterns being introduced.   It bridges a nice gap until the full family of A33/40s come out.  I find that family superior to 777 with exception of the super long range one...although not sure the utility of it with wind.

Per up-thread on 747, I once did the 747SRs in Japan to be like JAL in RW and those things made bank hoping around the country.

i'm also one of the nuts that is partial to the A380 if running from the top hubs...or you want to make 5 round trips a day from Seattle to Naha or Saipan ;)

Tha_Ape

The Viscount is on my list, probably 1st. Lasts very long, good range for the timeframe (even at the end, in the 90s), good speed, etc. No other plane is as versatile as this one. Sure, it has 3 pilots and 4 engines (compared to the 2 of the F.27, HS 748 and NAMC), but it's worth it.

Now, for the others, I'm not sure, as it mostly depends on the context. Though I'd need to mention the 732. Way more resilient than one might think, even if it lacks range in the 2nd half of its life compared to its newer competitors.

The Britannia is also very nice, as it has 2 very distinctive config, with the 75 pax and 120 pax. Makes it both a good LH plane and an average long range medium capacity A/C. The advantage here is that it saves one fleet slots, and thus avoids the costs of one renewal. Not many types can do this.

MikeS

Quote from: Tha_Ape on March 17, 2020, 08:17:40 PM
The Viscount is on my list, probably 1st. Lasts very long, good range for the timeframe (even at the end, in the 90s), good speed, etc. No other plane is as versatile as this one. Sure, it has 3 pilots and 4 engines (compared to the 2 of the F.27, HS 748 and NAMC), but it's worth it.

Now, for the others, I'm not sure, as it mostly depends on the context. Though I'd need to mention the 732. Way more resilient than one might think, even if it lacks range in the 2nd half of its life compared to its newer competitors.

The Britannia is also very nice, as it has 2 very distinctive config, with the 75 pax and 120 pax. Makes it both a good LH plane and an average long range medium capacity A/C. The advantage here is that it saves one fleet slots, and thus avoids the costs of one renewal. Not many types can do this.

Since I had to replace a huge fleet of Viscounts with  F100s I have sworn to myself never to go down that road again. I just lack the extent of masochistic tendency required for the task. I won't enter a pre jet age game world again. Anything mid 60s onwards is fine.
I agree with the 732, it's a real gem and it's successor 733 can last till the end of any GW.

Mike