Romney/Ryan flying the MD-83/DC-9

Started by LemonButt, September 03, 2012, 12:26:26 AM

LemonButt

For being the richest man to ever run for President he sure picked a modest aircraft.  Romney is flying a 20 year old MD-83 and Ryan is flying around in a 42 year old DC-9!  I love the commenter who noted the fuel burn and how they must not care about their carbon footprint, despite the fact that Obama is flying around in a 747-200 that is larger than the two planes put together, burns more than twice the fuel, and doesn't even have winglets.  How dare those evil Republicans!

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/01/mitt-romney-flies-u2s-plane-paul-ryans-aircraft-is-as-old-as-he-is/?hpt=hp_bn3

mar88

I must say that Ryan has the best choice of the aircraft for sure, that DC-9-30 really is a classic bird he has. Maybe both are retired Vosges aircraft from way back. :laugh:  8)

[ATA] - lilius

Quote from: LemonButt on September 03, 2012, 12:26:26 AM
For being the richest man to ever run for President he sure picked a modest aircraft.  Romney is flying a 20 year old MD-83 and Ryan is flying around in a 42 year old DC-9!  I love the commenter who noted the fuel burn and how they must not care about their carbon footprint, despite the fact that Obama is flying around in a 747-200 that is larger than the two planes put together, burns more than twice the fuel, and doesn't even have winglets.  How dare those evil Republicans!

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/01/mitt-romney-flies-u2s-plane-paul-ryans-aircraft-is-as-old-as-he-is/?hpt=hp_bn3

Not sure if Obama has much of a choice at this point being the president at the same time as campaigning? Sure it would have been nicer to see candidates in something more modern like in Palins case. Its funny how she used the Embraer, a guuurlz plane, that must be much wiser choice.

However in the defense of the republican candidates, the carbon footprint is not only about direct emissions. Its also about emissions during production and the use of resources in production. In this sense using a 42 year old plane is VERY ecological and I can almost identify Ryan as 2nd hand bargain hunter at a flea market. Sorry, I meant scrap yard...

EsquireFlyer

Quote from: lilius on September 03, 2012, 08:45:59 AM
Not sure if Obama has much of a choice at this point being the president at the same time as campaigning?

+1. Bush used Air Force One tons on political/campaign trips (as opposed to official/diplomatic) trips as well; it's normal for the incumbent, and not as much of an active choice as it is for the challengers who actually pick their planes.

LemonButt

Air Force One is also capable of in-flight refueling so fuel efficiency be damned :)